mtbr member
    May 2010

Ibis Ripley: Cable Damage

I've had my Ripley since March when they first came out and logged about 1200 miles on it so far. Everything has been good until recently... I've been experiencing mis-shifts so I checked chain stretch and the chain was almost at the place to be replaced, but since I had a new chain lying around I replaced it anyways. With the new chain, I was still having issues with shifting. I adjusted the cable at the rear.d, used the barrel adjuster, but after a few shifts, still didn't get the smooth shifting XTR has always given me. So whats the deal? I was going to go home after the ride and replace the cable...until...

I noticed that the hole for the internal routing in the front, dug into the cable. Thinking back to when I built the bike, it doesn't surprise. The holes seemed very unfinished and I remember when threading my seat post cable through, it shaved some of the housing off. I had no idea that over time it would lead to this.

Have any of you experienced this? For those of you with Ripleys, you may want to watch for this as well. Sucks for me, as the cable has worn the paint and some of the carbon around the hole. I hope that this doesn't affect the integrity of it. I guess these things happen when you get the first run of any product. My I9's had an issue that was resolved with revision fix too.

Hans....any ideas?

Ibis Ripley: Cable Damage-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ouch, that's no good. See the existing thread on this:

Ripley paint damage: water bottle and cable routing

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just an update. I emailed Ibis and Scot back to me already. One thing he mentioned was that my the length of my cabling might have contributed to it, which I won't rule out. In any case, I'm working with them to get it resolved. Ibis customer service always seems to amaze me. Don't know how they offer such good service for such a lean company.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Agreed, CS is fantastic. I will say I'm waiting for this issue to be fixed before getting my Ripley.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mbexx View Post
    Agreed, CS is fantastic. I will say I'm waiting for this issue to be fixed before getting my Ripley.
    I'm sure Ibis will handle it. I wouldn't make this a deal breaker and keep you from riding such and excellent bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hmmm...it seems that Ibis's through cable routing issues are starting to show it's ugly face. Thank you for sharing and giving us a heads up. I'll be taking a look at mine today to see if there are any abnormalities.

mtbr member

Ibis Ripley: Cable Damage

Quote Originally Posted by mcgong View Post
    Just an update. I emailed Ibis and Scot back to me already. One thing he mentioned was that my the length of my cabling might have contributed to it, which I won't rule out..
    What's your length like? Long/short?

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Seems like a relatively simple grommet of some sort could put all of this to bed. In all of the head tube shots those the cable holes look kinda unfinished, especially in light of the graceful design of everything else on that frameset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Checked mine this am and all is good. All though, my cable lines are still longer than desired due to dialing in my bar height. Now that its dialed ill be cutting the cables to the appropriate length, and of course, keeping this thread in mind when I do so.