Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mtb Guide

Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread

A thread for you to show us your trails you build or maintain!

Show us the goods

This is a jump I built a while back back, but when I finally got around to doing the landing the take off ramp ended up a little small, so I went and found some rocks, hard here as we don't have much rock, but I wanted this feature to be a little different, so finding and hauling it in was worth the effort to see it come together.

This whole line end to end will be fast but pretty technical in that the trail requires you to generate speed off each feature stay off the brakes and flow down the line which gets progressively bigger and faster on a pretty low gradient, so carrying speed and pumping and flowing off the features is key, it will be sic though!

I posted pics of another new feature further down the trail in the HD action thread.

How it was before the landing was built a week ago in camouflage and much smaller!

Laying out the rocks to build up the tranny for more height, somehow I always end up building stuff bigger than intended lol.

Ready for testing

Landing tranny from above take off

The gap, actual gap is about 3.2m, but the take off point to landing point is 3.5m minimum, measured with tape measure no eye measure here, totally scientific!

Last edited by Maverick005; 07-19-2013 at 03:25 PM.

DILLIGAF
    Looks great Mav! Would love to hit that! Cool idea for a thread.

I am on the board of directors of the Ocala Mountain Bike Association (OMBA). I know when most people think of Florida mountain biking is not the first thing to come to mind, but I can assure you we have great trails and the MTB community is thriving. We build and maintain the Santos trail system, which is an IMBA bronze level Ride Center. Santos offers IMBA Epic Ride route, largest freeride park in the SE, progressive dirt jump lines and over 85 miles of trail and growing.

Here is a work day building the Ern-n-Burn trail:
    Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread-u6pw.jpg

Cool trail feature:
    Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread-ztz6.jpg

Ray Petro, of Ray's Indoor MTB Park fame, recently joined our club and you can already see his influence here in the new beginner dirt jumps.
    Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread-uvgi.jpg

A little freeride / dirt jump action:
    Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread-xrhf.jpg

Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread-yj7g.jpg

Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread-y3z3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Awesome pics - all of those look like fun!

Mtb Guide
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by msimmons View Post
    Looks great Mav! Would love to hit that! Cool idea for a thread.

I am on the board of directors of the Ocala Mountain Bike Association (OMBA). I know when most people think of Florida mountain biking is not the first thing to come to mind, but I can assure you we have great trails and the MTB community is thriving. We build and maintain the Santos trail system, which is an IMBA bronze level Ride Center. Santos offers IMBA Epic Ride route, largest freeride park in the SE, progressive dirt jump lines and over 85 miles of trail and growing.
    Dude looks awesome, great work sounds like you have a great community, if ever in Florida Ill definitley be going riding theyre!

Keep sharing if you are developing build anything new no matter how small or big.

Cheers for sharing.
    Mav.

Mtb Guide
    @msim love the look of the landing trannies on those drops, sic, in the first pic is that a jump able gap

DILLIGAF

Mtb Guide
    Entrance into the trail

View to the next feature from the top of the landing in last pic in previous post!

Landing from the Tranny above!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread

Mavs, looks like some fun dirt to play with! Great idea for a thread. Now I just need to get some pics of our local trails...

mtbr member
    Here in Gunnison, CO I've been involved with trails for a long time. I wish I could design trails full time. I've been lucky to been able to get a few in Gunnison and Crested Butte.

This past Spring, a trail I proposed and designed last Fall was approved at Hartman Rocks, we extended Collarbone Alley to the initial top, downhill only, non-motorized, super fun.

Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread-c83e724aba5211e2904b22000a1f8c1d_7.jpg

Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread-d6ede67abd0111e2bad822000a9f3047_7.jpg

Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread-b0011db6caee11e2aeb522000a9f14e4_7.jpg

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by conekilr View Post
    Mavs, looks like some fun dirt to play with! Great idea for a thread. Now I just need to get some pics of our local trails...
    cheers conekilr, def fun, and yeah show us some of your work

Looks awesome gunnirider great work, would love to ride that.

It's the axle
    The lighting is low because by the time I rigged up an impromptu helmet cam it was 8pm.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Have been working on a loop in the nearby forest with a buddy off and on the last couple of years. ATM it's about 20km and a fun ride. Lots of rain this week so got out today and worked on improving the drainage in a few areas. Cold and rainy Winter's day but had fun and got a bunch done.

Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread-trail-drainage-day-1.jpg

Mtb Guide
    Nice looking trail Gregg and even better its from your house! Id be building stuff all over that.

@diggiehippie, best dig days are in the wet, like the wee bridge work, leans are mean as, nice work!

Keep posting the "piccs" of ya work trail fairies!

Mtb Guide
    Rebuilt this section of my trail back in May.

Pumped up the stump jump for more flow into the big gap jump further down.

Been quite a bit of controversy over this, I also built the bypass to the right of the new stump jump you can clearly see running off to the right, over a year ago to give people (muppets) time to get used to it.

I use that term as it really annoys me people who cannot ride a grade then whine and moan to others about a feature within grade and legal,don't ride something beyond your ability, or in this case just use the bypass, no pleasing some people, as a trail builder you are damed if ya do or don't, so just do!

I am the official adoptee of this trail so I maintain it at my cost and build rebuild stuff needed as required, I have always loved this trail so the key was to preserve as much of its originality as possible while pumping up some features and after thoughts others had thrown in at different stages.

pimped the stump jump for more flow into next bigger feature further down just in sight!

Take off into the big gap, Origonally this tree across the gap was a key feature, but controversially it was cut out not by me, lots of unhappiness about this
    but it all good, I turned a crap situation into a good one!

That tree gap

The landing zone, USS Enterprise, allot of dirt went into this, don't know how many wheelbarrows but allot, I built all this in 2 days straight on my own, I did get some help with further dirt in the landing following week, by some cool cats.

How it looks now, me test riding the new bigger higher take off with no tree to clear ugh, pretty easy now!

Mtb Guide
    Another one of my adopted trails, just to show I can do el natural, this one is called North Face, ole school, single track how it used to be, grade 5, pics don't do it justice to the steepness and tightness or the roots in this trail.

She was completely left for dead, over grown trees down up rooted, bush bashing it to find it was challenging enough, local knowledge got me they're and 7.5 hours of scrub cutting, chain sawing up fallen trees and raking, dog was a huge help, still one of my fav runs.

views from North Face if you dare to stop

Mtb Guide
    Not mine, but one of our local contractor trail build companies has been re building trails in a clear felled block and this line is nearly finished.

Rode it yesterday and it has some sweet tables, a nice step up with a nice wee gap over some ferns, some sweet berms, this block is pretty heavy with this theme but thats all good, tis fun, good to have something different but hopefully does not become too over done.

This is a working forest and an access charter by government for all not just mtb and its not a bike park, it is becoming very commercial though on the outskirts which in itself is good for our region, not against it, but has to be done properly imo, still back to track, this is pretty sweet definitely they're best effort to date

Will try to get picks of K2 this weekend an awesome re instalment of a wikid trail that is even wikid er if possible and super techy and will be scary for some a serious grade 5!

Mtb Guide
    Couple days of club Trail Maintence, Saturday did a clean up most of a trail, NZL 62 will be familiar with, took my02 down here few months back.

heres some piccs, just started scrub cutting trail getting losed in, this is the end working my way up.

After cut back and cleared

Measured out the biggest jump to tranny, still a good metre short from last tool, matock. These are pretty easy intermediate jumps, we pretty much srub em so we don't huck to flat, had a dude yesterday just come back from a few weeks in whistler on his carbon S Demo noe landed this one heavy then asked me to fix it haha told him to g back to jump school we hit this **** on tiny trail bikes and DJs lol he was not impressed, tested the run out today sweet as so nice to be able to see down a trail again, though its never been this clean and clear, stoked.

mtbr member
    Awesome thread!

Mav, can you bottle up some of your energy and air freight it to me?

Mtb Guide
    Cheers dois, appreciate that we need more From you guys though too haha

As for energy def no energy without pain, my hands are like that dudes from I only ride park after 30 laps a day and Im running pretty empty come ride time, sure it will pay off later in season though haha.

Heres some of yesterday's work, plus I spent 3 hours in the early morning watching Andorra Vallnord WC about 0130hrs to 0439hrs very poked today!

Bunny Jugs 1&2 3 of us raked cut ferns over hangs dug out drainage and just buffed the, trail, Im a big believer trails are like people esspecially in bush or rainforest trails needs to breath or like us they choke and die!

This was a really good feature to get some time to clean up and get a good look at even though been riding this trail for yyears everything about it is slippery and off camber esspecially the entrance just after a tight right hander, exit ain't easy when boosting it either.

Looking back up

Close up

Stage 1 BJ

Ibis trail faires, keep posting piccs of your trail work you build or maintain, ride piccs in action thread though aye haha.
    cheers Mav

DILLIGAF
    Dig.

Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread-nznk.jpg

Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread-0rcu.jpg

Ibis Riders Trail Builders Thread-sixr.jpg

Mtb Guide
    MS, totally love it, truck setup bigger than mine, is that a Tacoma?
    I presume thats your club mans cave which btw nice and clean and tidy unlike ours,which I try to keep tidy and then some others just throw **** back in, nice tools too totally envious, I have my own CS, Combi,etc but as a club we have nothing like you guys in they're, stoked at that setup.
    And love that sign too

Mtb Guide
    I had no hand in this build, but its "Not Bad" this is the build of above post#16 good flow, grade is bit low compared to other grade 3s not hard but disproportionate to other G3s, still sic work on the build.

Check it out!

New Challenge Trail Extension from firstfloor on Vimeo.

Mtb Guide
    Got a bit more of my line done over last week or so.
    Trail nearly ready for riding braaaap.

She's going to be one hell of a ride and run thats for sure, helter shelter start to finish!

braap.

Mtb Guide
    Rebuilt this berm below is how it looked in 2012, before last weekend it
    looked like Iraq, bombed to hell.

Temporarily blocked this line off so it can harden as its a high use trail, so got a temp bypass,
    still want to put more dirt in, bit more shaping, full days work here most you can't see
    I barrowed allot if dirt on the backside to support it for the long run, hopefully it will last better
    this time and get no random diggers making a mess, why it fell apart originally.

Pretty happy, never really done though!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It's looking great Mav! It has to be said that Sydney doesn't come close to Rotorua. Here you dig into rock, sand and gravel. I truly am still on a come down after my trip back in May and actually find myself riding less because the trails here just pale by comparison to NZ.

I will definitely be back!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast