Thread: Ibis Rear Shock

mtbr member

Ibis Rear Shock

Lads,

Considering a mojo and concerned about bob on long climbs..... how does yours role versus a HT ?

I see there is no lockout but is it needed?

Drapper
    Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Kinesis FF29

mtbr member
    There's hardly any noticeable bob on the Mojo from what I can tell. In fact, it climbs almost as well as my sub 20lb Kula Supreme!

There's actually a lockout on the PR23 shock but unless I'm riding up a huge hill on a paved road, I'll never use the lockout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Ken
    There's hardly any noticeable bob on the Mojo from what I can tell. In fact, it climbs almost as well as my sub 20lb Kula Supreme!

There's actually a lockout on the PR23 shock but unless I'm riding up a huge hill on a paved road, I'll never use the lockout.

are you sure there is a lockout on the rp23 if so you've made my day!

:-)
    Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Kinesis FF29

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Its not really a lockout, but works kinda like a lockout its a 'Pro-Pedal' lever and can be adjusted to 3 levels of firmness. I can't explain how 'Pro-Pedal' works. I use it on long climbs and I think it makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Rockets
    Its not really a lockout, but works kinda like a lockout its a 'Pro-Pedal' lever and can be adjusted to 3 levels of firmness. I can't explain how 'Pro-Pedal' works. I use it on long climbs and I think it makes a difference.
    ok thanks mate! firm firm and firmer right ?? lol
    Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Kinesis FF29

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Actually, 1, 2 and 3, but good enough.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    For me the settings on Rp23 stood for :
    Open (no or negible pedal platform)
    Firm
    Firmer

I only ever switched on the pro-pedal for long smooth climbs - and that was only when I remembered.

The suspension design made it feel to me that turning on the pro-pedal just wasn't needed - but I ride seated the vast majority of the time.

It's the axle
    The more I ride the Mojo, the less I use the Propedal. I'm a climber. I keep the shock dialed in on the lightest setting. Now only rarely, when I'm going to hammer up a long ascent out of the saddle, do I set the Propedal.

Occasionally I've found myself doing the above, but having forgotten to flick on the PP. And a couple of times I've had to get off the bike and check the rear tire because it felt flat. It's the weirdest thing. But I think it's testament to how the Mojo does not bob. Bobbing would not feel like a flat tire. It would be the whole bike wallowing. When it happens, I check the tire and give a smile. Pretty cool bike.

mtbr member
    The RP23 works like this: It's either in fully open position, or you can flip the lever into ProPedal mode on the fly. Once in PP mode, you have three different settings of firmness adjusted by a separate dial (yes, firm, firmer and firmest). But unlike the lever, the PP adjustment dial is small and thus can't be adjusted while you're moving. So most people I know keep it in one the settings (1,2 or 3) semi-permanently.

With the DW-link design of the Mojo, in my experience even the fully open setting prevents most bob when you are seated and climbing, but there is still plenty of bob if you are standing and grinding. So if I'm heading into a steep fire road climb or anywhere that I will have to really crank, I just flip the lever to PP on the fly, and keep it in the PP1 setting (the least firm). PP1 prevents almost all bobbing for me, even when standing---so I have never even needed to go firmer than PP1. Then again, I am 165lbs, so if you're heavier or don't wan't even an inch of bob, maybe you use PP2 or PP3 as your default. PP3 is about as close to a hard tail as you will probably ever need in my opinion.

Good luck!

mojo mofo
    Like the others have said, it's not a lock out in the true sense of the word. The Mojo's suspension moves when you pedal, but not in a counterproductive way, from what I've experienced. Some suspension designs have 'smart' shocks that dampen all the movement out because they bob, but then what's the point? Get a hardtail and suffer. I prefer a suspension that's designed to move the rear wheel to help with traction and smooth out the roughs.

The Mojo is always moving but I would say hardly ever bobbing, you really have to hammer to get it to bob and then there's the pro pedal to stop that. Also like the others, I find that the more I ride the bike the less I use the pro pedal.

If you manage to arrange a test ride in a parking lot before you buy and you find the bike moving around when you get up and hammer, wait until you get it on the trails to judge whether it's movement that helps or hinders. A smart shock equipped bike might feel better in the parking lot but not on a rooty climb and definitely not on a rocky or rooty descent.