mtbr member
    May 2007

New question here. Ibis old school (Titanium) Question

Help! I've got a question about the older Ibis titanium frames (SilkTi & BowTi) - I had always assumed they were a brushed finish - but I saw someone mention they were actually bead blasted?

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Thanks!

-Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

We the people ...

Hey Dave,
    I have a Bow-Ti and a Ti-Mojo.
    They are neither brush finished or bead blasted. The frames are what is called Raw Titanium finish. Basically what the tubes look like from the factory (Ancotech)
    Where my leg has rubbed the Bow-Ti frame, it has polished the finish to a shine, but the color is still raw. The Merlins and Light Speeds were brush finished Ti, and the old Mongoose was bead blasted.
    Hope this is the answer you were looking for.

mtbr member
    May 2007

thanks for the respone

Thanks for the response! - But that doesn't completely make sense to me - if that were the case - than the welds wouldn't match the color of the frame - and the tubing would be discolored where it was welded - so there must be some way to duplicate the finish?

See what I'm saying?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    As I understand it, the frames were finished using red scotch-brite(color defines the 'grit') and then treated with Lemon-fresh Pledge. Or something like that. I've always cleaned my frame with Pledge, but damn if I can find the red Scotch-Brite brand pads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You could contact John Castellano, the designer of the Silk-Ti & Bow-Ti. Since he was building the early Bow-Ti's, he would know. I think it's www.castellanodesigns.com, but you could find out on the Ibis website in the Old Parts section, to be sure.

mtbr member
    the bow ti took 20 hours of fabrication to build the frame.