mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Ibis now selling at Sports Basement (SF Bay Area)

Was at the Bryant Street Sports basement and saw that they had MOJO SL's in stock (slx build, x fusion suspension, 2750).

Anyone feel like this is cheapening the brand since sports basement doesn't particularly have a reputation of carrying boutique type bikes?

Just my initial thoughts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    its the special blend
    -----
    some drink from the fountain of knowledge...
    others just piss on it..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darnelli View Post
    Anyone feel like this is cheapening the brand since sports basement doesn't particularly have a reputation of carrying boutique type bikes?
    We are far east of the tanning salon already.

screamer

It's a bicycle, not a designer handbag

Quote Originally Posted by darnelli View Post
    No, in a word. It might be different if they were launching a line of lesser-quality budget bikes, but how does reaching a wider audience with the same great product cheapen the brand, unless somehow the reason one buys an ibis is because of its exclusive allure? I see tons of ibises out on the trail as it is: nothing exclusive about it.

I think the effect will be just the opposite, allowing the company to increase its sales and grow. This means more cash to devote to R&D, more clout with the factories, improved delivery/lead times, perhaps even more bikes added to their lineup. That's all great news for us, the consumer. If Ibis wants to grow to Santa Cruz or Yeti size, and be able to do what those companies can, this seems like a great move.
    Last edited by budgie; 04-29-2012 at 07:09 AM.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    No, in a word. It might be different if they were launching a line of lesser-quality budget bikes, but how does reaching a wider audience with the same great product cheapen the brand, unless somehow the reason one buys an ibis is because of its exclusive allure? I see tons of ibises out on the trail as it is: nothing exclusive about it.

I think the effect will be just the opposite, allowing the company to increase its sales and grow. This means more cash to devote to R&D, more clout with the factories, improved delivery/lead times, perhaps even more bikes added to their lineup. That's all great news for us, the consumer. If Ibis wants to grow to Santa Cruz or Yeti size, and be able to do what those companies can, this seems like a great move.
    that's what they said when schwinn and GT moved into big box stores. It didnt work very well. LBS's dont like it and quit supporting them. Now you dont see Schwinn and GT in bike shops any more.

Sports Basement isnt exactly Walmart, though. So it may not be the same outcome.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post

Sports Basement isnt exactly Walmart, though. So it may not be the same outcome.
    this.

I'm not local, but the presidio sports basement always seemed high-end-ish to me. 100$ for jeans?

Love sports basement though, so no problems here!

More Torque
    Good for them. The folks at Sunnyvale Sports basement are super cool. SB, along with Trader Joes, and REI are the 3 retail places that come to mind where the folks are really helpful and actually seem to like where they work. They got me out of a jam recently when none of the 4 or 5 "traditional' bike shops that I called had the Park master link pliers in stock. Great price on the item, and they held it for me until I got there.

What else? Good vibe, quirky (in a good way) shopping experience. Lots of stuff that I like (hiking, trail running, backpacking, cycling) under one roof. I can drop off my worn out shoes to be recycled. They came to my company's health fair and gave out % off coupons.

No affiliation, and I don't even tend to drop a ton of coin there. Just wanted to give props to a cool, local retailer.

-D

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The instant I saw the value of this thread, I felt like my mojo sl depreciated in value. You don't see Specialized, Trek, Canondale, Felt, Yeti, Moots, Turner, Santa Cruz or any other high quality mountain bikes in sporting goods stores. Ibis should try to get more investors if they really need the money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    It's not like Sports Basement is a Cabela's. People are driving over from Mill Valley to blow their wad there.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    The instant I saw the value of this thread, I felt like my mojo sl depreciated in value. You don't see Specialized, Trek, Canondale, Felt, Yeti, Moots, Turner, Santa Cruz or any other high quality mountain bikes in sporting goods stores. Ibis should try to get more investors if they really need the money.
    the mojo sl value dropped when the slr and hd came out.

it dropped again when you can get a new special blend for under 3k.

The people on ebay thinking they can snag over 4 grand for a classic or sl....are just hoping for an idiot to bid

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    Sports basement carries Felt, Cannondale, Look and Colnago. You can see 4K+ road bikes there. This is not Sports Authority/***** Sporting Goods.
    Correct number of bikes: n+1 bikes
    Correct nody weight: m-10 pounds

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have dropped off my Mojo SL at Sunnyval'e SB store a few times in the past year. The techs at the shop there were super nice and took the time to answer all my questions. I am sure glad to see them carrying Ibis now, so I can go there more often to check out the Ibis setup they have as it is so close to my work.

JL

mtbr member
    Sports Basement sells nice road bikes (Colnago, BMC, Cannondale, Look, Felt). It only makes sense that they reach the mountain bike market with high end mtb bikes. They now sell Ibis, BMC, and Cannondale mountain bikes, I think it's great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was mistaken in my earlier post. I looked at the website and I see that it is not the same as a sport authority or big 5.