mtbr member

Ibis Mojo Vs Maverick ML 7/5(durance)

Welcome all to my weekly 'what bike should I buy for endurance racing and all-round trail riding' thread. I finally listened to some MBR advice and got out to try som bikes. I test rode a Whyte E5, a Rocky Mountain Element and a Maverick ML7/5. I found the Maverick to be my prefered ride as I couldn't believe how bob free it was under power and out of the saddle on the climbs. Not the best descender but great fun and capable on most terrain I encountered. Advice from this forum has been to go for something simple and the Maverick seems to fit the bill in that respect as well. There was no need to mess around with on the fly pro-pedal (as with the E5) and although I liked the Element 70 I think it is to XC racing orientated for my liking (mind you the ETSX range looked good).

However, I would love to test ride a Mojo as both bikes are simliar in weight and cost and have ample travel. Has anyone ridden both the maverick and mojo and how to do the two compare? Unfortunately I do not think there is a single test ride Mojo in England so I will not be able to compare the two myself. For the record I will be looking to buy the new Durance Maverick as opposed to the ML7/5. Also does anyone ride an Indy Fab Deluxe for endurance events on this forum?

Thanks once again folks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Vintage
    I ride a Mojo, a 7.5 and I have a Ti Deluxe that doesnt see much riding, what with a ML and Mojo to keep me happy! What size are you?...you are welcome to come and test ride the 2 bikes back to back....send me a private message with email if interested. cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Kidsuma,
    Just caught this thread. Am looking to replace my 2003 (was a 2001) GT i-drive 1.0. Looking at the Durance or Mojo SL. Hard to get a test ride in IL. Which bike do you prefer and why? Thanks, LL

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well thats a blast from the past! Funny because I sold the Mojo...I liked the DW suspension but didnt like the feel of carbon. The bike felt a little wooden compared to the Maverick. So I kept the Maverick but happened upon a S/H Jones 29er which got me into the big wheels and then a Sultan. This meant 26 FS bikes feel strange, like BMX so I am just in the process of selling my 7.5, (model prior to Durance). Interested?!!
    As to your question vis the 2 bikes...if my priority was general trail ridding with a preference for an efficient climber then go for the Maverick. If more into descending then the Mojo. Do you like metal or carbon? Mojo has a fit and upwardly mobile company, Maverick had a brilliant designer who aint into running companies...so Frank at Spot seems to be taking it over. Once they settle in I think it will be good to go. Ethan at Mav is great and deals with all the CS. Ride then both...they are very different suspension platforms! Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    I would recommend you give the ETSX range from Rocky a chance (although they have discontinued it in favor of the new Altitude, which lacks the elevated chainstay of the ETSX). If you can still find one, the ETSX will be more in-line with the bikes you describe than the Element

I have an ETSX and it is amazingly bob-free when climbing, yet is awesome on the decent. I love it so much that even though I now have a Mojo, I have decided to still keep my ETSX. Between the two they feel so different...IMHO with the Mojo leaning more towards XC while the ETSX leaning more All Mountain in terms of how plush the rear end is and how it absorbs large impacts. But both are awesome....I think you really should give the ETSX a try.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    This past Sunday, the 14th, I just did one of the toughest races in Western Canada on my Mojo SL, (the Bow80), in the worst possible conditions I have ever ridden in., Against 200 of the most hardcore racers in Western Canada, racing for final ABA point standings in the Canada Cup Series. (One Slated for the 2012 Olympics in London BTW) The course was 80k(50miles) of unridable deep sticky muck, which was as bad as I have ever seen in 9 yrs of racing and the SL performed flawlessly. I came 13th overall and got the Bronze medal in my classification and I wasn't racing for points, I was racing for myself.
    This bike kicked serious ass and at one point I was in 30th place, but when I got to the steepest, most technical 20kms of the course, a 5k rock garden, I was climbing and passing all the riders that had passed me earlier in the day like they were standing still. Not one rider passed me after that.
    I passed 17 people, including the future Olympian, and I feel the bike was the main reason.
    The Mojo SL also helped me ride one of the fastest lap times of the whole race, (44min), during the 24hr of Adrenaline in July .
    On a note for the preceding post, after the same race, I saw a Rocky Mtn ETSX frame with a top tube that was completely broken in half, in the parking lot. It was one of last years bikes, so I don't know what this years frame would be like, so I would be a little hesitant about the Rocky Mtn.
    Take it from me, get a Mojo SL, there is no other bike that can match it for endurance racing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the replies. It just boils down to me getting a good demo ride on the bikes I am interested in. Would like to take both bikes out for a half day swtching back and fourth. Very hard to do in my area. I need an XL Mojo SL or an XL or XXL Durance to ride. After reading Kidsuma, I might be leaning towards the Maverick. I haven't raced in a long time. More of an epic trail rider now.

Kidsuma, what sizes is your 7.5?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Kidsuma, what sizes is your 7.5?

Thanks

Gentleman Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by lml427
    After reading Kidsuma, I might be leaning towards the Maverick. I haven't raced in a long time. More of an epic trail rider now.
    I am a long time Maverick owner, and have been a Mojo owner as well.

I found that while the Mojo pedaled better than any other bike I've owned before or since, I always felt more comfortable riding my Durance instead. Thus, I sold my Mojo.

I was faster over distance when riding the Mojo, but certainly when things got hairy I was more comfortable and much faster on the Durance.

I will say that a test ride is critical. Maverick bikes are love 'em or hate 'em. In my opinion, they are best ridden with a pronounced rearward weight bias, and if that doesn't suit you then you will probably hate.

- Tommy O

mtbr member
    May 2006
    medium!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Tommy O, Thanks for the input. I am riding an older GT i-drive with a rearward weight bias style now. I am 6'4", 225lbs. Ride in the saddle for long periods of time. I have a friend in Eagle CO I will visit that knows where I can demo some bikes.

LL

mtbr member
    May 2006
    LL if you are 6'4" then you must try 29 wheels.....do that before you put $$$ down on a 26" frame....you wont regret the choice. Wait a bit and try the latest DW Sultan! Only downside is the extra weight of the frame...but with a light build can be overcome.

Gentleman Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by lml427
    Tommy O, Thanks for the input. I am riding an older GT i-drive with a rearward weight bias style now. I am 6'4", 225lbs. Ride in the saddle for long periods of time. I have a friend in Eagle CO I will visit that knows where I can demo some bikes.

LL
    You know, tall man, I'm not sure that the XXL Maverick will even be big enough for you! If you get a test ride, I will be curious to hear how you think it handles.

I've known the guys at Maverick over the years, and Craig A. was the tallest at about 6'1" if memory serves. I'm not sure that there have actually been any test riders of your size.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Present bike has a 617 mm effective tob tube. I do not like a long reach. Have long legs, short torso. Was more worried about seat tube length to short and/or to long of reach. Thats why I really need to get on the bikes. I am a bit of an odd sizing.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Turner's whole 2009 lineup looks good. Now have more to think about. Will consider 29'r. Have to get on the bikes. Made a mistake of buying a bike with out testing in 1993.
    Will not repeat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibisrox
    On a note for the preceding post, after the same race, I saw a Rocky Mtn ETSX frame with a top tube that was completely broken in half, in the parking lot. It was one of last years bikes, so I don't know what this years frame would be like, so I would be a little hesitant about the Rocky Mtn.
    It's true that the ETSX's have had some well documented cases of frame failures. I believe this was more prone with the earlier models. Although I haven't heard of the top tube failing, rather the seatstay where the pivot points are welded.

Each year RM has improved the design to address this and IIRC, the last gen with the all-carbon rear end did not have any failures (that were known in the RM forum). It's too bad the ETSX had a blemished history, as IMHO it is awesome on the trail.

The new Altitude is supposed to be a variant of the original ETSX design, but asthetically, it loses much to the unique look of the original design IMHO, which i though was quite awesome looking.