mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Ibis Mojo or Titus ML2 ?

There are no dealers for these brands in my area...

I am 38 year old, 175lb.

I ride the typical east coast sigletrack with tight corners, lots of roots, rock gardens, steep rollers and drops of no more then 2-3 ft. Also ride fireroads with mostly lose gravel, sandy surface. No pavement.

Currently on a 2003 Trek Fuel 90 with 80mm shock and 2006 Talas RLC set at 100mm up front.

Basically, I am looking for a trail bike that would be fairly light, climb and descent well.

There are two bikes left on my short list - Ibis Mojo and 2007 Titus Motolite 2 ( same as the 2006 version but with CF seat stays and anodized finish)

Both of these bikes have excellent reviews, price point is about the same. I am also looking to keep this frame for about 5 years - can't justify the $ otherwise.

Has anyone ridden BOTH of these bikes? Maybe somebody attending Interbike?

Any thoughts or advise on how to best decide on a bike without being able to even sit on it?

Thanks

www.derbyrims.com
    I've ridden both and bought the Mojo. The Moto-Lite I rode was the first version without the standard wider tire clearance now (it was a special order option at first). The ML frame only or whole bike should be about $500 less with the same build.

The ML is a great bike, only a half pound heavier frame than the Mojo, still very light for it's travel. It rides very quick and has slightly quicker steering and a little less travel than the Mojo. I consider the ML in the top 5 best all around trail bikes available.

The Mojo is subtly better in every way for acceleration, momentum in the rough, climbing, handling, braking comfort, snob appeal (just kidding!) Although a lot of riders stop and inspect the Mojo on the trail. If you don't want curious attention from expert riders, don't get the Mojo! Actually the pedaling in the rough and braking are noticeably better, not just subtle, due to the most advanced dw-Link suspension. Handling is a little more forgiving than the ML with the Mojo having a slightly slacker steering geometry, but it rides tight switchbacks with no problem at all. The cornering grip and high speed stability are scary fast. I'm running 2.4 tall tires and there's lots of clearance, probably up to 2.7 size. The Mojo rides very quietly too. I consider the Mojo the standout best trail bike available. I will need much time getting to some of the limits of the Mojo’s abilities, if I ever do.