mtbr member

Ibis mojo special blend.

Hi. My wife is looking for a new bike and she really likes the mojo and the price of the special blend. So I guess my question is if anyone knows if they sell these in actual brick and mirror stores? Is it an ibis build or did jenson and other just buy the frames then build them? Does anyone know of a store in Colorado that would have any? And last question would be do people who have them think they are worth it or do you have to up grade so much stuff I.e. tubeless wheel set that the slx build would just be better? Thanks in advance.

MTBR Member since 2001...
    I'm considering the special blend for my next bike as well. All carbon ready to ride at a near sub 3k price point is awesome. Of course you do get what you pay for component group wise and that's where retailers make their margin/money.

I've been spoiled on Fox and higher end Rock Shox , Marzocchi stuff in the past. My first stumpy a '10 had a xfusion shock and fork combo, and honestly I wasn't happy with the performance or plushness of the ride. This is the only thing standing in the way of me buying one of these builds from Jenson, which buy the way is the only retailer selling "this blend" that I am aware of. They have the bikes in their stores which as you know are in So Cal. Maybe someone else will chime in with another source?

What came on my old stumpy (which I sold and replaced with an '11) was a MY'10 Velvet fork and an 02 RC rear. These were very basic. Both have been redesigned and reintroduced for 2011. Lots of people here love their bikes, this build and grupo for the price. I'll probably get one too. I have built many bikes and would love to buy an SL-R frame, but I can't spend 4,500-5k on a bike right now and that would be the only way to get what I really wanted.

The fork on the special blend appears to be a one off (140mm) of a MY'11 130mm travel fork. The pic on Jenson's site looks like it has the 15mm axel option which is nice.

So, I'm basically putting the finance into place and will probably pull the trigger next month. Selling my GT is part of the deal as not being single means getting a green light from the Mrs.
    Last edited by shadowsports; 10-12-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    they sell at the stores, though not all of them can order then as I believe you need 6+ min order and you have to ask - not sure why so much hidden... I got 2 friends to get them locally (Santa Cruz and San Jose, CA).

Looks like they are 10sp now (theirs were 9 spd if I recall) which is nice as you can upgrade to the new rear derailer type 2/XT plus that prevent chain drop/slap (you could probably fetch close to $50 for a new SLX RD) - what I got when I broke mine on my DH bike.

Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    they sell at the stores, though not all of them can order then as I believe you need 6+ min order and you have to ask - not sure why so much hidden... I got 2 friends to get them locally (Santa Cruz and San Jose, CA).

Looks like they are 10sp now (theirs were 9 spd if I recall) which is nice as you can upgrade to the new rear derailer type 2/XT plus that prevent chain drop/slap (you could probably fetch close to $50 for a new SLX RD) - what I got when I broke mine on my DH bike.
    What stores are you referring to? Any ibis retailer who will order 6+?
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have a friend who ordered his from Jenson USA. Great build and the X-Fusion suspension has been performing well all season. For what you pay, the bike is reasonably light and the components are solid.

I'd try her for fit in a brick and mortar store and if they can't/won't order her one, then go online.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowsports View Post
    What stores are you referring to? Any ibis retailer who will order 6+?
    Since you're in Pacifica - sportsbasement (there are 2 in SF) carried it and even had a 10% off coupon (at the Santa Cruz Mountain Bike festival earlier this year, though I got another one later so this must be fairly common) bringing down the cost to $2475+tax !

that's just too amazing - told my friends don't bother getting some used Specialized - get a new Mojo! this was 4+ months ago.

mtbr member
    I picked mine up at Competitive Cyclist, and I just checked and they're still up. Not much I would change kit wise. CC will give you a price-break on anything you want to switch out, and labor it for free. I did have them put XT brakes on, plus a RS fork they had on sale at the time. The rear XF shock has been a pleasant surprise and the SLX stuff is great.
    The reason I mention CC is for several reasons: they have an unconditional guarantee now (was 60 days), you can negotiate $ somewhat on additional parts for the bike (they'll just ship the switched-out stuff in along w the bike), and the add. part labor & shipping is free. They also worked really, really hard for me in the past.
    Always check w your local Ibis dealer to see if they will get you one also.

I just posted my SL in the build thread; I put on some SunRingle' Black Flag Pro wheels and set them up tubeless, and the bike spins up fast!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mountain Pedlar Shops in Minturn and Eagle, CO can hook you up with the special blend. They usually sell slightly below retail, too.

Great info and very helpful guys.
    '08 GT Force 3
    Giant
    Moto
    Trek
    Others

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    Since you're in Pacifica - sportsbasement (there are 2 in SF) carried it and even had a 10% off coupon (at the Santa Cruz Mountain Bike festival earlier this year, though I got another one later so this must be fairly common) bringing down the cost to $2475+tax !
    That's a killer deal on an already killer deal.

Another great online store to buy this would be Backcountry.com. Free 2-day shipping and lifetime returns. Can't beat that!
    We Ride In God's Country!