mtbr member
    Dec 2011

IBIS Mojo SLR front derailleur issue

Looking for help from SLR owners who are running (3x) XT or XTR front derailleurs. I'm running stock 2012 XT 3x10 cranks, front derraileur and shifters, with the folowing issue:

After a couple of rides I noticed a gnarley scratch on the lower link, drive-side. After further inspection I found that my front derraileur bottoms-out on the lower link when in the small ring. (The type of riding (and my fitness level) is conducive to spending a lot of time in the small ring - so don't go there)

So - I raised the derraileur up to the point where it wouldn't contact the link at full travel in the small ring. Now the derailleur is too high and the countours inside the guide are in the wrong places (rubs all over the place and doesn't shift properly).

I'm convinced that the XT 3x10 setup is not compatible with this frame (i've tried everything and it still runs like a Huffy). Have any of you noticed something similar, or even checked to see if you have the same issue (it's not obvious by feel)?

Are the XT and XTR derailleur geometies the same or would upgrading to XTR solve my issue?

Thanks!

Commit or eat sh!t
    Pix and model number would help. No issues wih my XTR setup. XT should be same. Did you follow the recommendations in the manual?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As above, model and some pics would help, have you checked the chart to ensure it is compatible:

Front Derailleur Compatibility | Technical Articles | Support | Ibis Cycles US

WLB
    It's a Mojo mang!
    Jeff

Saw the visitor message and answered you there, but I'll post it here as well. I'm running a full 2012 XT drivetrain w/XTR Shadow + rear derailleur. I'm running the 3x10 XT crank, set up 2x10 with a bash, stock 24-32 chainrings & 11-36 cassette. I do notice that I have to carefully adjust it to not get a little chain rub when I'm in the 32/36 combo, but other than that, no difficulties at all. Shifts perfectly. I did change from stock cables to Gore Ride-On, very smooth now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the input, All.

I didn't notice any specific ft. derailleur setup recommendations in the Ibis manual, and I'm using the 2012 XT kit w/ 42-32-24 rings and an M77110-D front derailleur (purchased directly from IBIS for the bike).

To clarify/restate - The only way that I can get the bike to shift adequately is to run the derailleur aproximately 1mm off of the 42t ring (see photo 1). It shifts OK (not great in comparision to any bike I've ever owned) with chain rub in the 3t/36-combo and a few otehr situations. There's also a lot of background noise in the middle ring that I can't seem to identify (compared to my other bikes). Anyhow - with that configuration, the derailleur spring rams into the lower link at approximately 80% travel. You can see the gouges in the black anodized link where the impact occurs (photo 2).

If I slide the derailleur up enough to avoid impact - shifting gets worse (because it puts the contours/guides in the wrong places).

The photos are awkward but hopefully they help. The black circular piece directly above the scratch is the spring cover. The steel spring ends are exposed on the underside.

If you're running a similar setup - check to see if you have impact at full compression (let the air out and bottom-out the travel).

I appreciate the input...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IBIS Mojo SLR front derailleur issue-2012-04-08-16.23.42.jpg  

IBIS Mojo SLR front derailleur issue-2012-04-08-16.54.09.jpg  

mtbr member
    From your pics it doesn't look like you have set the Der up extraordinarily high. I would guess your issue is more related to cable tension and/or worn cable/housing. if you can't figure it out, go to your LBS.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Make sure your low stop screw is set properly so it doesn't hit the links. Read up on the Shimano manual or take it to someone who knows how to do it properly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Good thoughts, but I'm certain the stops are correct and cable tension isn't involved. It's the height/position of the derailleur thats causing the problem. I'll get a second set of eyes on it this week, but I have enough wrenching experience to I know it's not something simple. Wish it were.. I'm still convinced that there is some sort of incompatibility issue, even though IBIS claims otherwise.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Any updates? Did your LBS figure out the issue?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm running XTR 2x10 40/28 and FD. Found a gash in the lower link about the same area. Turned out it was the tip of the spring in the FD sticking out the bottom and rubbing the lower link. Filed it down and no problems since, but then the damage was already done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So I was having this problem on my new HD (2012 with bolt-on FD) running a new XT 3x10 drive train. After adjusting the FD high/low screws, height, and cable tension I decided to take my dremel out and shave the back of the deraillure down.

What to shave off:
    In order to create a smooth and rounded surface where the FD touches the chain,the metal basically curls around towards the inside of the bike and creates a lip. This lip is approximately 2-3mm and was the root of my problem. I filed down the area that was making contact with my lower link and now it's all good. I can try to take pics if anyone needs them.