mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Ibis Mojo SL vs. SLR

Maybe this topic has been gone through, but I didn't see it as I searched the forums. I am in the market for a new SL-R, Though as I am contemplating the build, a buddy says he will sell me his SL (2011) for a damn good price so he can get a Ripley. I am wanting to ask, those who have ridden both frames, what are the real differences? I've been all over the website. So I know what has been printed but I am looking for real ride specifics. Also, were there any real differences in the Mojo SL from years 2010-current?

aka dan51
    Go for the SL-R. Else it will be like getting his ex.
    "When I had it I..."
    "It never did that for me, good luck figuring it out..."
    "She was a good bike, but..."
    Or just get a Ripley and beat him to it.

As for major differences, the lower link is the only thing I am aware of, but you can get a new one for $80 or such.
    There may be internal carbon layup differences that won't be made public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good article on the new carbon layup process they used with the SL-R
    Ibis Mojo SL-R Launched - BikeRadar

Lighter & stiffer

"When it comes to stiffness, Ibis cite a 10 percent lateral improvement and 100 percent torsional improvement compared to the original Mojo. In fact, they say the frame is nearly as stiff (80-90%) as the heavier-duty, longer-travel HD model yet weighs over 1lb less."

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ok.... I was hoping there wasn't a huge difference so I could save $3000....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    and slr has tapered headtube for that stiffer front end a 12x142 maxle if im not mistaken

mtbr member
    If you have no plans to go 650b and your OK with a PFBB then the stiffness and tappered HT on the SL-R make it a great choice. I went through the same decision and ended up with the SL. Why? Better 650b clearence and my hatred of PFBBs. Being able to use my exsisting wheelset (as is) also helped make the decision a bit easier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the info. Along with the tapered headset, it seems the Cane Creek angle set only works with the SL-R. One other difference I noticed is the front derailleur mount was updated on the SL-R to make a 2x10 setup easier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Why stop at 2x10? For the cost difference, you can grab an SL and opt for XX1 (1x11).

mtbr member
    I've ridden both, and the SL-R definitely inspires more confidence, probably because of the greater stiffness (via the tapered head tube, rear thruaxle and improved carbon layup, which is also supposed to be more durable).

Also you get cleaner cable routing with the SL-R (may seem like a minor thing, but the SL-style routing came to annoy me quite bit), including a slot specifically for dropper post.

SL-R is also lighter, though not by a whole lot.

The direct mount front derailleur feature is good in theory too, especially for 2x10, though allows for less FD adjustability.

The SL is nice, but if you want to keep your bike for a while, I think the technology is getting a bit dated. Though if you can save thousands, it would still be tempting...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Fair enough. I think I'm leaning the way of the SL-R. I like that black and blue colorway as well. Thanks all