AB
    Feb 2005

Ibis Mojo SL vs Scott Spark

Have the cash and am itching to get a new rig. Pretty much sold on an Ibis Mojo SL Large Clear with WTF groupo, (tho I might swap fork for Fox, had great experiences with them).

Question is: You race 24H solo, ride tons solo all crosscountry, are 6ft/170lbs, been pedaling for 20 of your 34 years, have somehow saved 6K cash, which bike, and why?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The Mojo is as good as the Spark, you just won't spend as much money on it. I think the Mojo has a little more travel too. 4in - 5in. The spark is about .5 lbs less.
    Both very sweet bikes. Ibis wins my loyalty with their customer service, which is second to none! How many companies have the founder actually talk to you when you call em? Scot Nicol personally responded to me when I had a question for Ibis.
    I bet you have to go through hula hoops to talk to the founder of Scott USA.

AB
    Feb 2005
    Ibis Rox

Thanks for your reply.

As for the quality and customer care, kinda interesting. I went to the Road bike sister site of this one and click clicked around the Scott forum. Seems like lots and lots of problems with their road frames, bb's unbonding, rear der hangers that are non-replaceable, steerer tube problems, etc, all with a "sorry" only reponse from Scott. NOT trying to flame Scott here, as perhaps others have great experiences, but just looking at the Scott talk vs the Ibis talk, quite a difference.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hi, may seem unusual but would probably say the Spark is maybe more suited to what you need. I am a devout Mojo owner and fan, just awaiting my second on in form of new SL but marathon XC is exactly what the Spark is good for. One of my local riding buddies is a marathon veteran champion and loves his Spark. If you want an all rounder which would be excellent at everything including XC, the Mojo is IMHO pretty unbeatable but for that specific task, I may be tempted to go for the Scott, for one reason the top tube appears to feel a little bit more roomy which suits the XC a bit better, it too is a cracking bike.

Ultimately though if you're going to splash that much cash and you've been riding for soo long, you'll know how vital test riding each is. One man's thoroughbred is another man's donkey, you know what I mean......

May want to consider the new Cannondale Rush carbon?

I love Mojo's but they aren't perfect for everything, they just do it all better than most

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    IMHO Different class rig. Moj is more of a do it all marathon rough course bike. Scott spark is more of a xc smoother 3 hr. ride type. Kinda like comparing a RacerX to a Motolight methinks. Scott spark compares more to a Trek Top Fuel (supposedly under super secret redesign for next year Jeremiah tested one but would not give any real details ) or a giant carbon anthem.
    I was thinking of ordering a Spark to replace my Top Fuel for my short travel rig. (think I'll just wait till they drop bout a full pound off it and ad abp to make it competitive again.)
    Spark frame weight is about 3.88 pounds at 110mm. and isn't Moj SL about 5 pounds but at 140mm travel.
    By contrast the Trek Top Fuel (my tangent here) 5.6 lbs at 90 mm but lifetime warranty. Spark warranty at 5 years if you take into dealer for service, otherwise 3.
    At that weight 3.93~ for a 2007 (I think they lost a lil more weight in 2008), I would have thought the Spark would not have been a stiff bike. So, I locked it out and big ring pounded the hell out of it. It was like my old oclv hardtail stiff as heck minimal rear flex inspite of funny looking links that don't look like they would last very long (just a guess.) The carbon walls seem really thin tapping on them compaired to OCLV or Ibis Mojo. The walls on the Ibis Moj SL with the pu paint seem strong as heck. Anyway, I have heard it said the shock on the spark is the weak link. I have seen several of the shocks at different lbs's to be warrantied. If I had the $ I would probably get a spark and push an RP23 for it.
    Ya really need both bikes !
    Last edited by ghawk; 03-26-2008 at 04:56 AM.

AB
    Feb 2005
    Humdinger: Big thanks for your comments. They help tremendously. Funny the "donkey/thoroughbred" line.

GHawk. Also, hugely appreciated insights. Great perspective. Helps tremendously, except for that last line.

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by humdinger
    Hi, may seem unusual but would probably say the Spark is maybe more suited to what you need. I am a devout Mojo owner and fan, just awaiting my second on in form of new SL but marathon XC is exactly what the Spark is good for. One of my local riding buddies is a marathon veteran champion and loves his Spark. If you want an all rounder which would be excellent at everything including XC, the Mojo is IMHO pretty unbeatable but for that specific task, I may be tempted to go for the Scott, for one reason the top tube appears to feel a little bit more roomy which suits the XC a bit better, it too is a cracking bike.

Ultimately though if you're going to splash that much cash and you've been riding for soo long, you'll know how vital test riding each is. One man's thoroughbred is another man's donkey, you know what I mean......

May want to consider the new Cannondale Rush carbon?

I love Mojo's but they aren't perfect for everything, they just do it all better than most
    I had a Scott Genius Carbon for a brief time - never again. Geometry was terrible, rear shock failed twice - immense p.s.i. to run them.

I agree, look at the Carbon Rush. I've had mine for 18 months, 23lb with Stan's ZTR wheels. Very comfortable. Compliments my Mojo; infact the Rush has much less rear-end flex.

Good Luck
    LJJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I definately agree with you, this what All-Mountain should mean, not more suitable for XC or more suitable for downhill. The All-Mountain category name has been abused, look at the new Cannondale Rize and something bike, one is for trail riding and one is for more abusive riding but they still market both bikes as All-Mountain bike, its confusing normal riders! (I got nothing against Cannondale FYI, just making an example).

I had a Scott Genius Carbon for a brief time - never again. Geometry was terrible, rear shock failed twice - immense p.s.i. to run them.
    Yeah, I read some reviews about people feeling the Genius geometry was odd, Scott are known for their odd geometry numbers. For Spark, Scott decide to play safe and use the conventional XC geometry.

Scott Spark is designed for Marathon XC, it was design with marathon legend Thomas Frischknecht. Which means this bike really mean to be used for racing or marathon.

Now on the Mojo SL side, if you can live without having a water bottle mount, then the Mojo SL will suit your marathon event fine. Its WTF build weight is the same to many XC race bikes (Specialized Epic, Giant Anthem Advanced and many more). I havent look into the geometry of Spark yet but by following what is each bike marketed for, the Mojo will have better comfort over longer ride compared to the Spark which is marketed as a Marathon racing bike.

I used to be in your delimma (I ride tons of cross country, join quite a number of jamboree events (sadly there aint much 24hour event in Malaysia and my mom wont allow it )). I rode an Anthem now but sometime I feel sad cause I cant do more on a bike, sometime I feel like want to try big drops and such just for fun but I scare my bike will limit me, so what Im trying to point out is, if you feel like you want sometime try different stuffs on your bike, the the Mojo SL is definately better for you.

:Thumbs Up:
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    100_0956_1.JPG
    I have a Spark that I've been working on since last summer. Bought the bottom model and built it just how I wanted it. Just added the firgures the other day and the total tally was 5570$ , but I have lots of spares (brakes,wheels,stem,h-bar,etc). Not saying that is an insignifigant figure, but with the Limited listed at 10 grand, I'm happy. I also have a Racer-x and a Motolite. I think the Spark is really inbetween these two with regard to pedaling and overall character. It does feel a bit less race focused then the racer-x but I'm sure thats not a mistake given it marathon intentions. I really like the bike, but think a RP23 would push it into the realm it deserves....my only nagging dissatisfation is the rear shock.
    Now the Mojo...totally sweet bike, and I really want one. I haven't ridden on yet but I love it. I think you need to totally focus on what kind of riding you do/intend to do. If your doing timed events and such I'd look at the Spark, if your exploring and enjoying the ride I'd opt for the Ibis. I think whatever you get, your going to be happy. All the best.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thats why I mentioned earlier in my post that if you occasionally do Marathon races or goes marathon races just for the fun or sporting spirit and you sometime want to broaden your skills the Mojo is for you (oh yeah and if you can live without a water bottle).

If you race marathon competitively then get the Spark.

Give us your answer ya.
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

Unpredictable
    Any Spark owners able to comment on the tiny linkages and life expectancy? That seems the potential weak point.

Sheepherder/Cat Herder Moderator
    I pounded my Spark for 11hours and 20 minutes at a 12 hr race in Oregon. No linkage problems.

As for warranty issues, I haven't heard of any problems...but Scott is local to me. They are located 3 hrs away, and seem to take care of everyone quite well.

As I side note, I do have 3 other bikes I train on. I only use the Spark to race. I also have a "play" bike (SC Bullit) that I use when I just want to have fun.
    ...building wherever they'll let me...

KevinK
    Jul 2005

My friend who is 6'2" tall, 180 lbs recently....

Received a Spark 30. Although he does not own a Mojo, but, does own a Dakar, he isn't thrilled with the handling of the Spark. In his words, The Spark is twitchy, reacts very fast, and because of this, he has crashed three or four times in the last two rides. The Spark's geometry is full on XC racing, where the Mojo is an XC racing/Downhill screamer/Everything bike. Our other friend, who has a Mojo, ridden approx. five times, hasn't had any crashes. The Mojo can ride over almost anything, is stable and predictable on fast descents, and, if the seat is at the right height, is also a great ascender.

I think my friend, who just received the Spark 30, regrets his decision, and wishes he decided upon a Mojo.

Best Regards,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Actually, to be fair KevinK, the Mojo geometry is not for XC racing.

Okay, erm just to correct you to avoid confusion among readers, instead of saying Spark's geometry, you can say the Spark's riding style is very XC racing orientated whereas the Mojo can be use for XC racing/Downhill screamer/ Everthing bike.

Thats a better way to say it (sorry if you feel provoked).

Well ask your friend to get used with the bike geometry, when I first had my Anthem (heck the Anthem has a steeper head tube angle then the Spark (73 against 71 if I recall correctly)) I found the handling twitchy because the bike reacts to my every movement and sometime when I go downhill I dont dare to go as fast as I usually go but now after almost a year of riding my Anthem, I got used with the handling.

I dont regret my decision though cause when I bought my Anthem, I was a XC fanboy, now I want to do more with my Anthem but I dont dare (scared of frame failure) and the geometry makes it hard to learn trail riding skills. So my next bike, which Im not sure when Im going to own it, will be Ibis Mojo (hopefully it will still be there after 2 years) .
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I don' think the spark is at fault for your buddy crashing!! It is a fast race bike that should have a expert rider on it!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK
    Received a Spark 30. Although he does not own a Mojo, but, does own a Dakar, he isn't thrilled with the handling of the Spark. In his words, The Spark is twitchy, reacts very fast, and because of this, he has crashed three or four times in the last two rides. The Spark's geometry is full on XC racing, where the Mojo is an XC racing/Downhill screamer/Everything bike. Our other friend, who has a Mojo, ridden approx. five times, hasn't had any crashes. The Mojo can ride over almost anything, is stable and predictable on fast descents, and, if the seat is at the right height, is also a great ascender.

I think my friend, who just received the Spark 30, regrets his decision, and wishes he decided upon a Mojo.

Best Regards,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Try the Yeti Asr-c if you can get your hands on one.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004
    steep head tube angles on 4" travel bikes make for a spine tingling experience in steep, rough and poor traction rides..
    slack angles make for much more stable ride period.
    if you got the skills than steep maybe be fine, but not everyone can ride like lopes or nys on the downies..
    i prefer slack and i can just flow better without worring that i will push the front or wash it out when going way fast...

69-70.5 degree head angles on xc are just right for me, out west with wfo riding....
    my lousy 2cents

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've got both: Mojo SL and Spark 20. I can run both as hard tails with front suspension locked down and with the DT Swiss shock on the Mojo they are fairly comparable but the bikes have a very different feel. The spark feels lighter and twitchier, the Mojo is much more solid i.e. planted. Both climb incredibly well: the Scott jumps around a lot but it gets over the terrain, the mojo just ploughs over stuff. The mojo is much more solid going down hill, but the Spark rides well too. I've only raced once since I bought the Scott and the conditions were foul - I found the first half really hard because I had difficulties with glasses in the rain, but then in the second half I really opened up and loved it. I've been debating which bike I'll race on next year, I should add that I do enduro races so I'm out for a while. I suspect that there is not a lot in the performance difference over about six hours. If I was racing on continental alpine terrain I'd definitely go for the Mojo - it would win over the long descents. If I was racing on typical british terrain, with much shorter descents I'd probably go for the Scott, but it depends on how technical the descents were.

I wouldn't buy a mojo just because you get personalised replies from the owner. I'm a Scott fan - I have a Scott CR1 road bike and its brilliant. My wife has a Spark and a Scale. We don't get personalised messages from the owner because we've had no problems. We both have mojos too. She's suddenly discovered a downhill confidence that she's not had on other bikes. I bet she'll continue to race on the Spark though - she just loves it.

I was lucky and could demo both.

It's a hard choice. I didn't have to make it because I bought the spark as a demo, and sold my nomad at the same time, and I took my gear off my blur xc and put it on the Mojo frame. Total cost, much less than your spending, and total pleasure. Two bikes much more suited to my style of riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Great review above.
    Really still 2 differing use machines.
    One thing I had not known when this old thread was going, the Scott Spark will handily fit 650b/275er wheels. This is a pretty wonderful thing about the bike and will make it a superior race machine in many situations. (Note has to be fox front shock, rock shox arch will not fit, I do not know about the dt front shocks.) I am definetly not saying superior to Moj. I'm saying better than many 110mm travel bikes.
    I have to disagree with someone above I think being able to call the company owners any time I want is a very big plus for a particular bike. (Especially if your are really comparing 2 bikes in the same class.)There are no other companies that I have dealt with that had that easy customer service. (over last 20 years of riding.)
    Btw, from what I have seen Scott road and off-road have more issues over time as well as the dt rear shocks. (That is not to say they are bad, just a slightly higher issue rate.)
    If anyone has a Spark medium used frame they are looking to move cheap, I want to build up another 650b platform for racing.
    For riding anywhere and exploring forever, Moj is tops.
    Last edited by glovemtb; 10-29-2008 at 05:36 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I would agree, for riding anywhere and exploring forever, Moj is tops.

My suggestion to Andrew is not to go for top end SL WTF build, but to use the same money, or find a bit more, and see if you can't source a standard mojo with XT and a Scott Spark 20 or 30. You won't get the lightest options with either model, but light overall weight shouldn't be the only consideration, geometry, wheel and tyre choice count for a lot. The Spark is much more fast in the twitchy racer mode than the mojo and it is accomplished over all mountain terrain, but it is not an all mountain bike. The mojo is an all-mountain bike but not quite so twitchy. You either compromise your options with one, or optimise them by getting both. Slightly heavier bikes won't involve such massive compromises and for what it's worth I think many of the components in the WTF build are just a bit daft.

I didn't follow the bit in glovemtb's piece about the 650mb wheels. What are they and what's their advantage?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My suggestion to Andrew is not to go for top end SL WTF build, but to use the same money, or find a bit more, and see if you can't source a standard mojo with XT and a Scott Spark 20 or 30. You won't get the lightest options with either model, but light overall weight shouldn't be the only consideration, geometry, wheel and tyre choice count for a lot. The Spark is much more fast in the twitchy racer mode than the mojo and it is accomplished over all mountain terrain, but it is not an all mountain bike. The mojo is an all-mountain bike but not quite so twitchy. You either compromise your options with one, or optimise them by getting both. Slightly heavier bikes won't involve such massive compromises and for what it's worth I think many of the components in the WTF build are just a bit daft.
    Yeah, you want fast? Get a faster engagement wheels (Meaning XC-Race wheels, but that defeats the purpose).
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by phil266
    I didn't follow the bit in glovemtb's piece about the 650mb wheels. What are they and what's their advantage?
    http://mountainbike.about.com/od/buy...50B_wheels.htm
    http://650bpalace.blogspot.com/2007/...0b-palace.html
    http://650b.com/
    http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/
    I'm another 650b Moj SL weenie.