Thread: Ibis Mojo SL

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Ibis Mojo SL

Evening all,

Just picked up a new Mojo SL from the LBS about a month ago and am now looking to make a few upgrades.

I have already put on pedals/ordered X-fusion SL dropper post and stan's tubeless kit and
    was looking to see what everyone else as to reccomendations in regards to the most worth while upgrades. Im still adjusting to the brakes, they have been hard for me to read kind of like they're either ON or OFF not much in the feedback department.

Bike rides superb besides that, but it's the little things and the love to tinker to get that last bit out of the bike.

Besides adding maybe a new set of brakes (thinking Shimano SLX with Ice rotors might be a good choice but open to suggestions) and possibly a set of carbon bars what would every one else look into?

I ride mostly steep rooty uphills followed by very short downhills.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Not sure what wheels came with your rig but my first upgrade was the wheels. I went with Easton EA90 XC tubeless. Rotational weight is a killer and these wheels dropped a ton of weight. As a result, it feels much better climbing and descending. I am also going to a 2x10 vs. a 3x10 that it shipped with (carbon cranks, etc.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Im running the stock Mavic Crossrides. I hear theyre a decent wheel-set but slightly heafty. You know much about them?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I ran the Crossrides for the first season and then upgraded to Stans Arch EX wheels this season. Big difference in weight and feel. Going with a lighter wheel with wider rims will make a surprising improvement in the way the bike rides.

As for brakes, some killer deals on Shimano M785 XT. I ditched the Avids and tried Magura MT4s. Way too much lever pull for my liking so I tried the M785s. Absolute in love with them.

Congrats on the new bike!!! What color? Show us a pic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I concur with Pelly_NH. The Crossrides are great *back-up* wheels. They are really heavy and IMO the weight doesnt add stiffness or any other benefit, just heavier parts. Also, as I mentioned before, look to upgrade the rotational parts (cranks, gears, etc.). Anything that goes round and round and has weight causes more rider fatigue than stationary parts. As a result, the first things I upgrade are wheels, tires, cranks, gears - in that order.

Also, I have recently become a big fan of PUSH technologies. I really didn't think that sending my shock and fork to them for upgrade was going to be a big deal but after much pestering from my riding buddies I did...and it is amazing. The bike feels like it was designed for me. It is worth the $200 if you have a shock/fork they support.

Brakes are next and then shifters. After that I start mucking with the bars, stem, etc.

On a personal note, I found the IBIS riding position to be hard to get used to. I cant explain it, but I tried a few different stem lengths and that really changed the way the bike felt for the positive.

Post a pic!

meh
    check out some of the AM 23mm wide chinese carbon wheelsets from light bicycle...great price and solid, few long threads on mtbr about them....have a set on my mojo and another on my rigid SS 29
    wheels are one of the first places to upgrade on a bike with everything functioning fine as is