Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 154
  1. #1
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804

    Ibis Mojo Review by MTBTrailReview.com

    Full Ibis Mojo Review

    I was careful not to read anything before riding the bike and doing the review.


  2. #2
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    I am also interested in getting as much feedback as possible on the review and the site in general. Thanks for the help.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,140

    imho, I had fun reading

    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    I am also interested in getting as much feedback as possible on the review and the site in general. Thanks for the help.
    Pretty good review on par with mbaction. Read some of Derby's reviews and some guys here for extremely good technical detail.
    Lot's of times it's over peoples heads but for hard core mountain bike geeks it's really good. (Hard to do both in one review, maybe a read on section.)
    Maybe mention that Darren does Mojo specific tuning at push. Don't know whether the part about not really a downhill bike is relevant anymore since the Lopes era. (good that you mentioned him). "Carbon does not bend…it shreds." Not really, but most mtb bikes are alum now, never really seen one bend much instead of breaking at failure point.
    Where did you test in North Ga? Probably the best areas to test Moj up there would include pinhoti at dalton (time trial course) and Rich Mountain. Most areas up there you usually don't need a long travel bike for. You might mention where purchased if local to help out those guys. (hard business) Might mention some differences in the 2 different Moj models avail now.
    Also, please don't make fun of learning disabled children, that really is retarded.
    That's all I got, remember, you ask.
    Last edited by ghawk; 03-31-2008 at 03:38 PM.

  4. #4
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    Thanks for the feedback.

    Rich would be the perfect test course for this bike. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get my hands on it until the weekend after we rode up there.

    This actually isn't my bike, I wish it was, but I do know that Darren knew the Pike and the RP23 were for the Mojo, so it must have gotten the Mojo specific.

    I should probably go back and modify the shreds comment a little bit. I was more referring to dent type situations. But I do agree with you on the cracking at the failure point on aluminum.

    Good idea on mentioning the SL.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    242
    I liked the review a lot, very good to follow and informative, especially with the specifics on testing environment, and the comments about flex (because a lot of people might wonder about your take on it). Btw, which software were you using for the profiles you put in at th beginning?

    Cheers
    Jever

  6. #6
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by jever98
    I liked the review a lot, very good to follow and informative, especially with the specifics on testing environment, and the comments about flex (because a lot of people might wonder about your take on it). Btw, which software were you using for the profiles you put in at th beginning?

    Cheers
    Jever
    Thanks...Garmin 305 and Motionbased.com

    I figured where it was tested is just as important as the review itself.

  7. #7
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,788
    Great review! It pretty much matches my experience riding the Mojo. Amazing climbing, point it up and ride ove just about anything, same downhill, and it rails corners with a good fork like the Pike. I’ve got mine all coil suspended and PUSH tuned, will be putting a PUSH'd Pike on as soon as I get some axle adaptors. Under my 200 lbs, the PUSH’d Fox 32/140 Vanilla RLC feels fine until it gets very rocky and then it is kind of hard to feel as confident in what direction the fork will take me. I’m really looking forward to getting back on a 20mm axle fork and one tuned by PUSH.

    A couple of nit picks. The carbon finish can be repaired rather easily if scratched with clear paint even fingernail polish. And if the scratch is deep into the weave an experienced CF repair person such as Craig Calfe in Santa Cruz, CA can laminate layers and refinish so you’d never know it was damaged. And at the worse if you do manage to break the Mojo which seems to be very rare, Ibis besides having a 3 year manufacturing warrantee, has a very reasonable crash replacement service. Ibis customer service is second to none!

    The other nit is the frame is designed for the 36mm forks up to 160mm travel. The Mojo of course fits and is usually sold with a lighter weight more XC/Enduro and AM 32mm fork. Many riders have set them up with a 36/160mm adjustable travel Talas or Lyric for extreme riding conditions way before Brian Lopes did it. And no you don’t need to be as good as BL to ride yours this way! You just need to do rides where such a fork for more pedal clearance and slacker steering and bigger landings is worth the extra weight. Riders haven’t found the limits of the Mojo yet.

    Nice of you to report a reality check on all the flex BS a very few riders with apparently limited full suspension experience have posted. As a Ventana rider you know what a low flexing ride feel is, and the Mojo delivers excellent feel with the highest traction grip when riding.

    Good to hear you had a good race with zero time to tweak and tune the Mojo before starting. It is the most balanced handling and easiest climbing and descending trial bike ride of the dozens I’ve tested and previously owned.

  8. #8
    Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Reputation: ddraewwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,958
    Great review. What's so good about it is that it is very objective, very concise and well thought out.

    What I am most surprised about (and I imagine others would as well) is your comments about the flex. I knew you rode a Ventana before I read the post....didn't know it was a Tmoto though (goodness that thing is a beast! ). I would have bet my Mojo that you would have said that the rear was flexy. You're dead on when you said "The only reason I can see people even saying that is by having that thought in your head before you even rode the bike. Sometimes they just have to make their opinion true I guess, but if you were thinking about not buying this frame because of the flex comments…forget about it and pick one up."

    Question: Did the bike have the prototype PUSH links? Doesn't seem so from the pix but just wondering since your thoughts on the flex are completely unexpected. No one has ever said that Ventana's are flexy....they'd have to be out of their minds to say such a thing, but it is a very common claim for the Mojo.

  9. #9
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    Great review. What's so good about it is that it is very objective, very concise and well thought out.

    What I am most surprised about (and I imagine others would as well) is your comments about the flex. I knew you rode a Ventana before I read the post....didn't know it was a Tmoto though (goodness that thing is a beast! ). I would have bet my Mojo that you would have said that the rear was flexy. You're dead on when you said "The only reason I can see people even saying that is by having that thought in your head before you even rode the bike. Sometimes they just have to make their opinion true I guess, but if you were thinking about not buying this frame because of the flex comments…forget about it and pick one up."

    Question: Did the bike have the prototype PUSH links? Doesn't seem so from the pix but just wondering since your thoughts on the flex are completely unexpected. No one has ever said that Ventana's are flexy....they'd have to be out of their minds to say such a thing, but it is a very common claim for the Mojo.
    No Push links...yet. There are some more parts from Push on the way for this bike...they just aren't here yet. I figured the best way to review the DW-Link was to have the stock links with a great shock. From my experience on the bike, I think I was right. Now, there will be a follow-up review later when it is completely finished off. I'll just have to go steal it from it's owner again!

    You are right about the Ventana...there is no flex. That this is solid as a rock, and like I said in the article...I tried to get it to feel like the claims...and couldn't.

    I didn't know that it could take a 160mm fork! hmmm...maybe I'll have to throw the Lyrik on and see what happens.

    Thanks for the feedback again. To be completely honest...this was my first full review in type. I have talked about bikes and ridden all kind of different rides over the years...but this is my first review actually written down. The feedback is really helping a lot.

  10. #10
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    I forgot to add...On some of the comments above that you don't agree with me on...like the carbon...post your thoughts in the comments section of the blog.

  11. #11
    Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Reputation: ddraewwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,958
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    I forgot to add...On some of the comments above that you don't agree with me on...like the carbon...post your thoughts in the comments section of the blog.
    Done

  12. #12
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by ddraewwg
    Done
    Perfect...you should see it posted now!

  13. #13
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,760
    awesome review, Robb!

    one detail you wrote about sending your fork to CA...push is in CO ....

  14. #14
    gravity curmudgeon
    Reputation: cowdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,460
    From one of those who likes to keep tabs on interesting bikes ... Nice write-up! There are days when a mojo sounds appealing, and, after reading your review, this is one of those days. Your feedback on the frames stiffness is esp. helpful given that your ride is a Terremoto. Interesting.

    Also good to hear the positive feedback on the Pushed Pike. I have both a RP23 and Pike at Push for some loving right now. I can't wait.

  15. #15
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    one detail you wrote about sending your fork to CA...push is in CO ....
    Thanks for the edit...I feel stupid now...I knew that and didn't catch it...

  16. #16
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,760
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    Thanks for the edit...I feel stupid now...I knew that and didn't catch it...
    no worries..... if you keep writing such good material, I'll happily proofread

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,501
    I like how you do your website theme, the opacity of the navigation is interesting, care to PM me on how you do it and do you create the website from ground zero or you use some service for the comments? (Thanks by the way). And great review.
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

  18. #18
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    I like how you do your website theme, the opacity of the navigation is interesting, care to PM me on how you do it and do you create the website from ground zero or you use some service for the comments? (Thanks by the way). And great review.
    I'll send you an email with some info. Thanks for the comment you put up there too, you should see it now.

  19. #19
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    Can someone post a picture of their Mojo at 160mm? This has really sparked my interest.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    Can someone post a picture of their Mojo at 160mm? This has really sparked my interest.
    Try this thread to start with!

    New Ibis bikes

    Bob Austin's steed!

    "My Ibis in size large weighs 28.8 lbs with full XT kit, ti bolt kit, Short 70mm 20 degree stem by Blackspire and Carbon fibre downhill Easton bar, XTR pedels, ti rail WTB seat and 2.35 Nevegals."
    ____________________
    Ibis Tranny 2009
    Ibis Mojo 2008
    Litespeed Pisgar 2004
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

  21. #21
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    Here is my mojo with a coil Lyrik up front - i love it!

    IMG_2353.JPG

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,501
    Wow, your Mojo looks like its going to be getting some air often. Is it true what I just said?
    And what coil shock did you put there, can't see it properly.
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

  23. #23
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    For reference...this is my regular ride...



    Those Mojo's look great...I did actually find something wrong with the bike though...I'll eventually have to give it back to it's owner...

    I got another 12 miles on it today.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,501
    Wow, is that a CaneCreek DoubleBarrel shock? Sweet, damn I wish to ride it some day (Its performance sounds pretty darn good, costs a fortune though). How does it improve your daily trail riding?
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy

  25. #25
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelhot
    Wow, is that a CaneCreek DoubleBarrel shock? Sweet, damn I wish to ride it some day (Its performance sounds pretty darn good, costs a fortune though). How does it improve your daily trail riding?
    It's a CCDB...there is no other shock on the market as far as I am concerned. It is the best by a mile and then some. The only air shock that is even ridable after being on one is a Push'd RP23 and there aren't any other coil shocks that even come close.

    Every penny was the best money I have ever spent.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •