mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ibis Mojo review (dw-link indirectly)

cross post from general discussion
    Ibis Mojo Test in MBA

Seems some more mis-information on how to setup the DW-link ;"...it's firm pedaling is insensetive to your shock settings."

I imagine when the Mojo begins to ship more that the buzz over the DW-link will increase greatly.

IH deserves a lot of kudos for putting their investment behind the DW-link early on..
    Last edited by ashwinearl; 05-24-2006 at 11:42 AM.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl
    Seems some more mis-information on how to setup the DW-link ;"...it's firm pedaling is insensetive to your shock settings."
    Where is the mis-information in the article (except the $1100 added on to the real price tag)?

I've found the above is a true statement for the 3 different DW links I've ridden, Hollowpoint, MKiii, and Inde-Fab. Some had too much sag some too little, damping wan't totally dialed in for me. But in every case the pedaling was still firm and efficient without any noticeable feedback. There is better bump compliance without an over firm or over damped shock, but pedaling effect changed little if any with shock differences in my experience.

The DW link is the first complete bicycle suspension advance since the real lowered dropout pivot Horst Link designs (not talking about the backward reduced efficiency FSR and ICT designs.)

- ray

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Where is the mis-information in the article (except the $1100 added on to the real price tag)?

I've found the above is a true statement for the 3 different DW links I've ridden, Hollowpoint, MKiii, and Inde-Fab. Some had too much sag some too little, damping wan't totally dialed in for me. But in every case the pedaling was still firm and efficient without any noticeable feedback. There is better bump compliance without an over firm or over damped shock, but pedaling effect changed little if any with shock differences in my experience.

The DW link is the first complete bicycle suspension advance since the real lowered dropout pivot Horst Link designs (not talking about the backward reduced efficiency FSR and ICT designs.)

- ray
    It just seems that the few negative reviews of the DW-link stem from improper setup. Many people try setting up the DW-link in the same manner as other suspensions, with the "more air=firmer" which works with the NRS and many others. Or they pump up the platform if their bike came with one.

From several threads here and in discussion with other owners we know that a different approach is required. My experience showed a relationship between the shock setting and movement of the shock during pedaling.

But in hindisght, I'd say you are right though. The firm pedaling nature always seems to be there but the best filtering of pedal feedback seemed to be dependent on the shock setting.
    My training BLOG

training BLOG for a regular joe Married w/ children, Full time Job, No Genetic talent, wanna-be mountain bike racer

Morris Training Primer

Baby Bear is in the house

Exactly what I thought

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl
    It just seems that the few negative reviews of the DW-link stem from improper setup. Many people try setting up the DW-link in the same manner as other suspensions, with the "more air=firmer" which works with the NRS and many others. Or they pump up the platform if their bike came with one.
    I fully agree. This is what went through my mind when I read that line in the MBA review saying how one could set up the shock any which way and it wouldn't affect the suspension's performance. Seems contrary to what most advise regarding the dw-link [set sag between 25% and 33%].

Unless DW tweaked the design on the Mojo to cure the shock set-up difficulties. If it has been fixed [i.e., simpler shock set-up], and more people had a chance to ride them, I'm sure dw-link bike sales would sky rocket!
    Last edited by r1Gel; 05-30-2006 at 01:15 AM.
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey guys,

You can set the sag up at whatever you want really, but we adamently suggest at least 25% sag because then you can fully take advantage of the traction offered by the system. That is the silver lining in dw-link, and running really low amounts of sag just makes it more like every other system out there.

Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

eBiker
    Having set up my bike with an Cane Creek shock tuned to low compression, the proper amount of sag is quite noticable to me. Even with seated spinning. At 30%+, I've climbed stuff that I didn't think possible.

This is coming from someone who used to think that sag is wasted travel.

Mr. P

Baby Bear is in the house
    Thanks for chiming in Dave.

It's just that MBA says, and I quote:

"Dialing in the Mojo is a snap, because its firm pedaling action is insensitive to your shock settings. This means that you can choose your fork and shock spring pressures based on how smooth you'd like the suspension to ride, and then set the rebound and go."

They make no mention of the "at least 25% sag" that, from what I understand, is critical to the phenomenal dw-link performance. I just think MBA is doing Ibis [and IH, and any other dw-link bike] a disservice by leaving out this important piece of info.

I mean, if your average joe, who didn't know any better, went shopping for a bike and took a test ride of the Mojo carbon, and it wasn't set to proper sag for his weight, he might walk away from the test ride not having fully appreciated the dw-link performance, costing Ibis the sale . Since as you put it Dave, not running proper sag makes it "more like every other system out there" not letting it stand out from the competition.

Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    Hey guys,

You can set the sag up at whatever you want really, but we adamently suggest at least 25% sag because then you can fully take advantage of the traction offered by the system. That is the silver lining in dw-link, and running really low amounts of sag just makes it more like every other system out there.

Dave
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member

after I read this review...

I set mine (04 Hollowpoint) up a lot softer than I normally run. I went for a ride and it felt super compliant, but
    it was a chore on the climbs. I also notice that the rear felt flexy and my chain was not running crisp. It made the bike feel very heavy.
    After this incident, I looked on Ashwinearl's site for set up instructions.
    I think I got it pretty close to my sweet spot.
    When I ride along it feels like a soft tail at most (almost a hardtail).
    It muffles small rocks and ripples, but it becomes more active in the bigger stuff.
    I can stand and climb or sit with very little movement.
    last night I was standing on the climbs more than normal. I would click up a gear and spin
    pretty effiently up the hill and sit back down once the worst was over.

The one big thing I notice is how much smoother my pedal stroke is on this bike.
    I can charge through root gardens and keep a great spin. With my Sugar or hardtail the
    roots really effect the pedaling action. I think this is what makes this bike faster on some
    courses, it handles like a dream.