Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

IBIS MOJO Oh my god I need this!

Maybe the page has been up for a while but I noticed it today. After the Interbike presentation here it is: a jewel in carbon with DW suspension ... my horst-5-spot might have to go!
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    All buy your 5 Spot.

You can have the carbon thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    All buy your 5 Spot.
    Oh, I know, and thanks to the Turner forum it will sell well, while all the rest of the world move forward

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    please, please, please... if I don't get a HL 5-Spot the world will end .

Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    Oh, I know, and thanks to the Turner forum it will sell well, while all the rest of the world move forward

www.derbyrims.com

looks are growing

Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    Maybe the page has been up for a while but I noticed it today. After the Interbike presentation here it is: a jewel in carbon with DW suspension ... my horst-5-spot might have to go!
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/
    The looks didn't appeal to me at first. I like triangles on bikes. I didn't like the looks of my Tracer's seat tower at first either. But otherwise the Intense design engineering metal work was was a step or three above all others at the high end, and it was the best performer I've ridden until the last couple years for trail bikes.

One thing I hate about this design is cables above the TT. Mostly because it's uncomfortable to sit on while resting. They scratch the finish easily. And are simply ugly (unless you've got a cable fetish). The strut design in the middle of the frame prevents a clean cable route under the TT. I'd prefer if they ran the cables along both sides of the TT. if I get one I'll clean that problem up myself and remove the cable stops off the TT.

It's this bike or the 6.6 that will likely be my next bike. This much lighter bike and steeper geometry angles makes more sense for 99% of my riding requirements where much climbing is required. And the DW-Link is the best.

- ray

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    The looks didn't appeal to me at first. I like triangles on bikes. I didn't like the looks of my Tracer's seat tower at first either. But otherwise the Intense design engineering metal work was was a step or three above all others at the high end, and it was the best performer I've ridden until the last couple years for trail bikes.

One thing I hate about this design is cables above the TT. Mostly because it's uncomfortable to sit on while resting. They scratch the finish easily. And are simply ugly (unless you've got a cable fetish). The strut design in the middle of the frame prevents a clean cable route under the TT. I'd prefer if they ran the cables along both sides of the TT. if I get one I'll clean that problem up myself and remove the cable stops off the TT.

It's this bike or the 6.6 that will likely be my next bike. This much lighter bike and steeper geometry angles makes more sense for 99% of my riding requirements where much climbing is required. And the DW-Link is the best.

- ray
    Same here, I could never really warm up to interrupted seat tube, I am even more conservative: I don't like the asymmetrical Blur rear triangle.

It is too bad that a bit of lazyness prevents internal routing: I still miss my GT STS (that is sleeping in Italy right now) because of cable routing.
    The over the TT cable routing is indeed not very nice, but I kind of get used to it because the 5-spot (and my Kona hardtail) has it too. Cable rub is not much of an issue since I have no steel cable on the TT (I use IRD, which are full-housed, and disc) ... and I guess you do develop a bit of cable fetish: in my case I enclose the housing in a shiny mylar tube that gives the cables a sort of costum (ops custom, costums are for carnival, remember Davide) look ... very nerdy.

For the IBIS routing to the sides of the FT might also be an option.

But damn ... I really wanted to keep Spotty for 10 years ... and now

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    All in all it does't look that bad. There are far worse abominations of style.

This Ibis is very different to the Ibis of the last few years. Has ownership changed at Ibis?

The geometry is long travel XC. In fact with it's shortish chainstays, 70 degrees HA, reasonably low BB, it all leads to fast single track and good climbs.

The trend these days is to use 69 HA for all mountain bikes to get a 150mm fork. What fork can the Mojo run?

DW Link does the job. Intense 6.6 is a performer, and a bit of a different breed to the Mojo. Derby, you've got some deciding to do if you are choosing between these. Which personality is best for you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    All in all it does't look that bad. There are far worse abominations of style.

This Ibis is very different to the Ibis of the last few years. Has ownership changed at Ibis?

The geometry is long travel XC. In fact with it's shortish chainstays, 70 degrees HA, reasonably low BB, it all leads to fast single track and good climbs.

The trend these days is to use 69 HA for all mountain bikes to get a 150mm fork. What fork can the Mojo run?

DW Link does the job. Intense 6.6 is a performer, and a bit of a different breed to the Mojo. Derby, you've got some deciding to do if you are choosing between these. Which personality is best for you?
    The bike in the picture is the prototype, the production version will look alittle different than the picture above, according to Hans, co-owner of Ibis cycles. I will be receiving mine in May or June of 06 which will be the second batch of bikes made.

mtbr member

Intense EVP 5.5 comes to mind ... I kind of assumed the Mojo to be in the 4.5-5.5" range

At least for my style of riding I see no use for 150mm travel: I am 148 pounds, do 3 feet (real, or is it 4 for my friends?) drops and I stilll don't use all the travel of my vanilla 130mm (I actually building spacers to drop it to 126 and balance a bit more my 5-spot ...too bad I cannot get custom, or is it costum, springs). 70 vs 69 degress ... mah ... the usual suspects in Turner forum now think all bikes with a Turner label are identical, so I would not be surprised if there is much difference between 70-68 (Konas are at 68) ... of course a 69 might handle a longer fork better ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Davide

Off topic: I'm debating to get a Fox 32 Vanilla 130 just because the price/value is so good. Could you tell me the A2C dimension of it? Also, I don't need lock-out which leads me to the R (instead of RLC). If you have the RLC do you use the compression adjustment often?

On topic: 5.5 is agreat comparison to the Mojo. Comparing geometry I think I like the looks of the Mojo better. Mojo has a steeper SA than 5.5. Both have shortish chain stays and I think the Mojo's SA may put more weight on the front for climbs? Just my thoughts. I really like the look of the 5.5 though.

I'm a skeptic about carbon, just as I was skeptic about Alum when cromo ruled the roost. That must mean carbon is here for good.

mtbr member
    Davide

Off topic: I'm debating to get a Fox 32 Vanilla 130 just because the price/value is so good. Could you tell me the A2C dimension of it? Also, I don't need lock-out which leads me to the R (instead of RLC). If you have the RLC do you use the compression adjustment often?

On topic: 5.5 is agreat comparison to the Mojo. Comparing geometry I think I like the looks of the Mojo better. Mojo has a steeper SA than 5.5. Both have shortish chain stays and I think the Mojo's SA may put more weight on the front for climbs? Just my thoughts. I really like the look of the 5.5 though.

I'm a skeptic about carbon, just as I was skeptic about Alum when cromo ruled the roost. That must mean carbon is here for good.
    The A2C of the 130 should be 500, the 125 is 495. I have PUSH fox Vanilla which I think is worth every penny in respect to the stock because it is so much more tunable + you get the lockout to act as a platform on/off which is very nice. With the platform on the fork is VERY stable but stil plenty sable on the trail.

Intense vs Ibis ... man what a wonderful choice! and carbon ... I think it got a bad press for a while, it is one of the materials of the future and it is to be better then aluminum once the glitches are worked out ... as it has happened for at least a couple of years (look at Scott!)

FM
    luxatio erecta
    At least you would have the option of owning your 5-spot in ten years!

How many ten year old carbon bikes are there?
    What about chainsuck/chainslap on carbon?
    How do UV rays affect it? (thats right)
    Any concerns about the leverage exerted on those short linkage plates with bearings? Heard any horror stories from SC owners about replacing bearings every 5 rides?
    Any concerns about threads or surfaces that need to be faced and chased? or do you just skip that with carbon?
    Why isn't it lighter- I heard 6lbs from ibis. Thats not any lighter than a motolite, 5-spot, or 575 with comparable shock.
    how will the carbon exterior hold up to abrasion?
    What is it you don't like about your turner? You sound pretty disapointed in it.

The Ibis is one bike I just don't understand the hype about. It will probably sell well at the sharper image. Personally I would never touch carbon for a frame material after seeing so many bars and other carbon things break. Most recently, a brand new trek fork at the LBS. No thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FM

Any concerns about the leverage exerted on those short linkage plates with bearings? Heard any horror stories from SC owners about replacing bearings every 5 rides?
    Any concerns about threads or surfaces that need to be faced and chased? or do you just skip that with carbon?
    Why isn't it lighter- I heard 6lbs from ibis. Thats not any lighter than a motolite, 5-spot, or 575 with comparable shock.
    What is it you don't like about your turner? You sound pretty disapointed in it.

The Ibis is one bike I just don't understand the hype about. It will probably sell well at the sharper image. Personally I would never touch carbon for a frame material after seeing so many bars and other carbon things break. Most recently, a brand new trek fork at the LBS. No thanks!
    Have you ever ridden a carbon bike? I work on old carbon Miyata's,Trek's and a TVT (pre-look) and most are at least 10 years old and still working just fine. Common sence would tell you to put clear tape or a lizard skin to prevent cable rub or chainslap.

Aluminum will also break. You need to be a little open mined about Carbon Fiber.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I have a 1996 Trek Y-22 (days away from 10 years old) and it is still running fine after taking a beating for many years. Have you ever owned/ridden a carbon frame? If not, I am not sure you can make such broad statements and be taken seriously by anyone.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Yeah sorry to come off as being closed minded, but I have had bad experiences with carbon. I've had carbon bars break, a long walk out. Sure that happens to alu as well, but this was on the first ride, on a XC trail. My buddy had a similar experience last year with monkey lights, 3 mile walk on a night ride. He was on a single-speed, pretty weird to watch him try and climb in his one gear with 1/2 a handlebar.

On top of that, I have a freind who had a minor accident on her carbon road bike, didn't even knock the wheels out of true, but the frame broke. And this week my friend who works at a trek dealer had the drop-outs fall off a brand new, never ridden carbon fork that came with a modeno road bike. It was seemingly only held on by paint!

I have carbon cranks and fork on my road bike (FSA and Look) and they have been great. However for the kind of abuse that mountainbikes see, I just don't see any reason to go carbon for a frame, especially from a manufacturer that is new to carbon. At 5.8lbs according to MBA, the ibis isn't even light compared to the titus motolite which is 5.9lbs and 5" of travel.

I just don't see any benefit to carbon at this point.

Just my .02c.

Quote Originally Posted by brianthebiker
    I have a 1996 Trek Y-22 (days away from 10 years old) and it is still running fine after taking a beating for many years. Have you ever owned/ridden a carbon frame? If not, I am not sure you can make such broad statements and be taken seriously by anyone.
    Last edited by FM; 12-21-2005 at 11:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    FM, you have made a good point. If you can build a AL for the same weight as carbon, why go carbon? For a 6" bike why bother saving even 200 grams? Reliability and durabililty are more important. On the other hand wouldn't a carbon frame be stiffer, which is more important for a 6" bike? Maybe that's the benefit.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    FM, you have made a good point. If you can build a AL for the same weight as carbon, why go carbon? For a 6" bike why bother saving even 200 grams? Reliability and durabililty are more important. On the other hand wouldn't a carbon frame be stiffer, which is more important for a 6" bike? Maybe that's the benefit.
    I suppose Carbon could be stiffer, but would the benefits of stiffness outweigh the weaknesses of carbon- durability, impact resistance, etc. My main concern with carbon (or alu bonded into carbon) would be any areas that involve a press fit- especially bearings which may not last long on VPP/DD links. The people I know that own SC VPP bikes here in the seattle area have complained that the bearings go pretty fast in wet conditions. Also expansion/contraction issues- how many people are going to use a torque wrench when they raise/lower their seat? If you like to drop the saddle for downhills, will an alu sleeve eventually become unbonded? This even happened to my buddies Ti bike.

FWIW I just put money down on a titus motolite with 2006 rears- $1095, 5.9lbs, 5" travel. I'm sure I can shave of 200g with the $800 I saved!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    excellent- at that rate it should continue to bring you many more years of happiness!

Quote Originally Posted by STS
    FM, my carbon GT-STS is still in perfect condition after 8 year of really abuse
    The only scratchs are in the aluminum parts

STS
    mtbr member
    FM, my carbon GT-STS is still in perfect condition after 8 year of really abuse
    The only scratchs are in the aluminum parts

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Congratulations. Titus ML is one sweet ride. You are going to one happy FM.

Personally, all take an AL frame anyday. I'm rough as guts on my bikes, and I don't own a torque wrench.

I suppose Carbon could be stiffer, but would the benefits of stiffness outweigh the weaknesses of carbon- durability, impact resistance, etc. My main concern with carbon (or alu bonded into carbon) would be any areas that involve a press fit- especially bearings which may not last long on VPP/DD links. The people I know that own SC VPP bikes here in the seattle area have complained that the bearings go pretty fast in wet conditions. Also expansion/contraction issues- how many people are going to use a torque wrench when they raise/lower their seat? If you like to drop the saddle for downhills, will an alu sleeve eventually become unbonded? This even happened to my buddies Ti bike.

FWIW I just put money down on a titus motolite with 2006 rears- $1095, 5.9lbs, 5" travel. I'm sure I can shave of 200g with the $800 I saved!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yeah sorry to come off as being closed minded, but I have had bad experiences with carbon. I've had carbon bars break, a long walk out. Sure that happens to alu as well, but this was on the first ride, on a XC trail. My buddy had a similar experience last year with monkey lights, 3 mile walk on a night ride. He was on a single-speed, pretty weird to watch him try and climb in his one gear with 1/2 a handlebar.

On top of that, I have a freind who had a minor accident on her carbon road bike, didn't even knock the wheels out of true, but the frame broke. And this week my friend who works at a trek dealer had the drop-outs fall off a brand new, never ridden carbon fork that came with a modeno road bike. It was seemingly only held on by paint!

I have carbon cranks and fork on my road bike (FSA and Look) and they have been great. However for the kind of abuse that mountainbikes see, I just don't see any reason to go carbon for a frame, especially from a manufacturer that is new to carbon. At 5.8lbs according to MBA, the ibis isn't even light compared to the titus motolite which is 5.9lbs and 5" of travel.

I just don't see any benefit to carbon at this point.

Just my .02c.
    FWIW, I am semi-retiring my Y-22 becuase I love it and really do not want it to break.....this past Oct I bought a Gary Fisher Marlin.

And another FWIW, carbon handlebars are one thing I myself would definitely not get.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

where are the carbon Ibis' made?

who's making those? Let me guess...

mtbr member
    Same here!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by funkenstein
    who's making those? Let me guess...
    Do anyone know who is actually making the Mojo? That is a good question. My guess is Giant since they are the masters of Carbon.

mtbr member
    I think you are a bit too hard on carbon: it is a wonderful material. A bunch of short answers are below.
    But also look at http://ibiscycles.com/tech_faqs/technology/ and http://www.calfeedesign.com/

============> My GT STS is 10 years old in February. It is in pristine - like-new - shape with th eexception of the rear (aluminum) triangle that looks beat up
    ============> just add a chainstay protector, and make BB area with a tougher outer skin: you can buil litterallu bulletproof composite areas
    ============> It does not
    Any concerns about the leverage exerted on those short linkage plates with bearings?
    ============> nothing to do with carbon
    Heard any horror stories from SC owners about replacing bearings every 5 rides?
    ============> same
    ============> BB and Headset are aluminum and can be faced as usual.
    ============> Carbon is not necessarily lighter than aluminum, it all depends how you build it. But it can be built stiffer and stronger for the same weight. Look at the Scott hardtail (2 pounds!) or their Full-suss.
    ===============> You can make it tougher than aluminum if you want to. There are all industries that have moved to carbon/composites years go and never looked back (e.g. windsurf). A composite, non thermoplastic, by the way, can be repaired easier than a metal frame.
    =====================> hoi ... let's not go there. Mostly I am sick of brand-mania going on in the Turner forum and I am afraid the annoiance is spilling over to Spotty. The 5-spot works fine (once you invest in state of the art shocks, PUSH in my case), it is just not anything special ... besides ... it is now out of production ...
    Last edited by Davide; 12-23-2005 at 01:20 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast