mtbr member

Are IBIS MOJO Headsets really integrated!

I was checking out the specs of the Mojo, specifcally what type of headset it uses.
    According to IBIS' website, The mojo comes with a Cane Creek IS integrated headset.
    Please tell me that they meant to say the Cane Creek ZS headset. I have no qualms about internal headsets or external headsets but integrated headsets with no replaceable wear surfaces is just a bad idea. If a bad bearing damaged the headtube you would be screwed. Will IBIS replace a frame with a bad/worn bearing seat?
    This spec alone would deter me from ever buying a Mojo.

It's the axle
    IS headsets were new to me when I assembled this bike. It's not inherently obvious how they work. In fact, when I went to put things together, I did a double take. I had a Jon Stewart waaaaa? moment.

They don't press fit. They drop into a much larger hole. But they work by virtue of the bevel on each mating part. It's weird. But wear is not even something that I believe is an issue at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Integrated

Howdy from Ibis!

So far, so good on all our bikes with the integrated set up. I have a lot of miles on both the Silk and Mojo with no problems.

There are actually a set of cutters available to dress the surface if it gets damaged as well. I've been waiting to need them before I buy a set.

I think that the frame surface has a pretty well distributed load. That is the bearings don't actually run against the frame, they run on a steel race (cartridge bearing) which sits in the frame. Kind of like most wheels these days. Since the outside of the race is big, flat and tapered, there's no point loading and if wear occurs, it can be taken up with the adjustment of the headset tensioning device due to the angles of the races / cartridge and frame seating areas. The angled ledge that the bearing cartridges sit on is rather thick and should withstand repeated facings if it ever gets to that point.

email me at hans@ibiscycles.com if you want to talk / write about it, ok?

Hans

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

I forgot to answer your question

Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    I was checking out the specs of the Mojo, specifcally what type of headset it uses.
    According to IBIS' website, The mojo comes with a Cane Creek IS integrated headset.
    Please tell me that they meant to say the Cane Creek ZS headset. I have no qualms about internal headsets or external headsets but integrated headsets with no replaceable wear surfaces is just a bad idea. If a bad bearing damaged the headtube you would be screwed. Will IBIS replace a frame with a bad/worn bearing seat?
    This spec alone would deter me from ever buying a Mojo.
    Yes, we would replace or reface
    Hans

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K
    IS headsets were new to me when I assembled this bike. It's not inherently obvious how they work. In fact, when I went to put things together, I did a double take. I had a Jon Stewart waaaaa? moment.
    Same here. I'm used to pressed in cups so it was really confusing how a pair of beveled surfaces could stay together like that.

However, I noticed that there's some play in my fork. If I hold down my front brake lever and rock my bike back and forth, I can feel some noticible play between the frame and fork. If I pulsate my front brake while riding, I can also feel a little movement as well.

Do you notice that on your bike?

I checked my other bike (with a King headset) and it wasn't as noticeable... although there was some minimal play.

I spent some time disassembling my headset and re-lubing everything but it still remains.

It's the axle
    Nope. Mine is as solid as can be. You shouldn't be seeing any play.

I'm not even using a cinch and cap. You can look at the tire through it.

Also you might tighten it and then test it before riding. It could be loosening on the ride. That could even be due to a crown race that wasn't fully seated.

Otherwise, I can't figure why it would be chronic in looseness.

I'm running a Cane Creek IS-8.

I just looked at King's website. You might look at their problem section. I can only guess why you'd have a loose headset. But there are a number of things to look at.

I had a ripper of a ride today. Try riding with a 10 pound backpack for years. And then take it off and go riding. Yeah! Tomorrow is another Mojo madness of a day. Yippee.

mtbr member
    Doh! Just noticed that the preload on my topcap was off. It's a lot better now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Ken
    Doh! Just noticed that the preload on my topcap was off. It's a lot better now.
    That statement raised some alarms for me and forgive me if you already know this.
    The top cap preloads the headset but the stem is what fixes that tension permanently. After the stem has been tightened properly, the top cap can technically be removed. It is no longer holding anything down.
    If you just tightened the top cap nut without loosening the stem bolts first and that helped the play then something is wrong. The stem bolts might not be tight enough.

Sorry if you already knew this.