mtbr member
    Oct 2009

... and if we just ... Ibis Mojo HDR 650b sizing question

Hey all - I'm looking to buy a Ibis Mojo HDR 650b Special Blend in the next week and can't find any official sizing guidelines on the Ibis website

So, thought I'd come here to ask

I'm 5 foot 9.5 inches and have normal proportions. What frame size do you all recommend?

EMR
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Size recommendations are on Ibis's website... Geo chart. I'm 5'11" on a large, the frames do run small compared to other companies. You can compare you current bikes geo to the chart, but best bet is demo or at least find a dealer where you can sit on a bike.

mtbr member
    5'8" here and a medium fits me perfectly. I bet a med or large would fit you, depending on your preferences.

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 8" and ride a large HDR. I use a short stem and find it's a really nice fit. A medium would be tight with a short stem.
    I find the HD/HDR runs a full size smaller than many popular current bikes. By sizing up it was essentially the same reach and TT and wheelbase as a medium Bronson, Mach 6.
    Standover between the medium and large HDR is the same. The seat tube is the one area where there's a bit of a compromise. At my height I'm limited to a 125mm dropper on the large.
    BTW, before he left, Brian Lopes (also about 5' 8" or 5' 9") rode a large.

Too Much Fun

Ibis Mojo HDR 650b sizing question

5'8" here and I've always ridden Med Ibis on everything (SL, HD, HDR). If you've got long legs or torso you might go Large. A buddy just got a Large Ripley and he's 5'10" so you're likely right on the line.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks all for the responses! I'm gonna head to the local shop and try one out

mtbr member
    So what am I missing on the sizing of this bike. According to the website a medium HDR has a 23.1in top tube, an intense tracer II has a 23in top tube and a santa cruz bronson has a 22.9in top tube. I have read at least three reviews of the HDR that say it has an inch shorter reach then comparable bikes. The only obvious outlier I could find is an SDB66c which has a 24.1in top tube on their medium and is known for being on the long side. Is there a measuring difference in the effective top tubes that just isn't obvious?
    I am 5'9" and I am currently on a medium tracer II and I am dreaming of an HDR.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Bridgestone14

A lot of your consideration regarding size should be based around reach.
    In that area the HDRs were definitely on the small size and many buyers sized up, like myself.
    At your height I'd definitely recommend a large, especially if you use a short/shortish stem.
    You'll find the new HD3 in medium has a longer reach (16.3) than the large HDR (15.9).

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Bridgestone, I'm in the same boat and have done the 'parking lot test ride' on both the large and medium. I'm 5'9" but with shorter legs. If I go with the large, I can only barely fit a 100mm dropper, but not any longer. If I go medium I can run up to a 150mm dropper but it felt a little bit small. Maybe that feeling is just in my head and I'd be just fine but after riding each one back to back, and the Large was more comfey. I've learned (the hard way) just how important fit is when it comes to long rides. I'm convinced the large has too much seat tube, so now I need to see if I can comfortably fit the medium to me. If I'm lucky, I'll find out the lbs had the saddle really scooted forward on the medium.

mtbr member
    well that is frustrating. Seems like the reach and the effective top tube should be proportional. Who posts a reach measurement. I did demo an HDR in medium, seemed to fit ok, but I did need a decent amount of seat post to make it work and I don't remember what size stem was on it.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

banned
    Feb 2012
    FWIW, I am switching from M HD to L HDR. I am 5'9" with 31.5" inseam. I have not really tested the L before buying, but I am way over the handlebar all the time, admiring the head tube from in front of the bike, so I think I will be fine. The TT vs. reach of the HD(R) can be attributed to its fairly slack seat tube angle.

Eld
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I run a L HDR at 5'9, 125mm Lev or Reverb fits fine for me. I demoed a M HD before buying and it felt just right with a 65mm stem and slightly short with a 50mm stem. Though it would probably have worked for me if I would have run the bars a bit higher. For the same reach, you need to go higher if going shorter in stem length, and the HD(R) has pretty short head tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    FWIW I'm 5"10" and a little shorter in the torso than the legs and I felt really comfortable on the large. Had about an inch and a half to spare on the 6 inch dropper. The medium for me would have been too cramped.