Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Ibis Mojo HD 650 B

I wanted to put this post together for several reasons, one of which was a critique of my new Ibis Mojo HD 650 B build, the other reason was to acknowledge Pro Bike Supply and the phenomenal job they did working with me on the build. I have no affiliation with Pro Bike Supply and I am in no way an expert rider, but I did appreciate all of the advice Pro Bike Supply gave me pre-build and during the build itself. The owner, Mark, was nothing but helpful. On to the good stuff... my first impressions of the bike!

I had a short post a week ago in the 650 B section, but felt the rest of the Ibis owners would appreciate a more detailed post here. The bike is a size Large Mojo HD frame, sitting on Stans Flow wheels attached to Chris King hubs. The front fork is a Vision X Vengeance 160. The breaks are Hope Tech EVO V 2. Headset is also Chris King with a Tune stem attached to Crank Brothers bars.The rear shock is a Fox DHX 5.0 140. I am currently using the 140 Ibis chips in the rear, rather than the standard 160, obviously to prevent the rear tire from hitting the back of the frame. Seat post is a KS adjustable. Drive train was removed from my old Fuel EX, which consists of XTR cranks, rear derailer, and shifters. I had to go with an XT front derailer because of the direct mount on the Ibis frame.

I was a little bit concerned about the 160/140 combination at first, but have come to realize running this in conjunction with the 650 B is more than I will ever need or use with the terrain I ride. I was also concerned about the climbing ability without being able to adjust down the 160 fork in front. This fear was again put to rest rather quickly, as the bike climbs amazingly well and only gets front end light on the steepest hills.

Many people have asked me about the Vengeance fork and how it performs. First off, it was easier to set up than any of the Fox forks I have used previously. This was one of those decisions Pro Bike Supply helped me with during the build, as I could have easily gone with a Fox product, I'm glad I didn't. The fork is supple, easy to set up and is every bit as smooth as my old Kashima coated Fox fork and cheaper.

The payoff is the downhill ride on this bike, which is simply amazing. Again, I may be biased coming from a Trek Fuel, but the best way I can describe it is like riding a Honda CRF 250 dirt bike, compared to a bicycle, and I mean this in a stability/confidence-inspiring way. The bike is still very nimble and simply wants to go where you point it. The final weight of the bike came in right around 30lbs.

Finally, this bike has changed the way I view mountain biking. As I have never ridden a true downhill bike, I can see why people that do have a true passion for it. I now have the best of both worlds - a bike I can take anywhere up the hills and down the hills with confidence. Kudos to the job Pro Bike Supply did. They have earned my business for a lifetime.

Some photos from the build and later at the house. Sorry the photos don't do the bike justice.

mtbr member

Vengeance vs Slant vs Revelation for 650B fork??

Thanks for the great info and great bike build. Yeah ProBike Supply is awesome. I bought my 29er rims from them for my new steel hardtail and their technical knowledge really helped in finding the perfect setup for me.

I also have a Mojo HD140-650B, and I'm looking to upgrade the 650B fork next year to something with more travel and a tapered headtube. Right now, I had transferred over parts from my old FS bike and thats a White Brothers 650B fork at 130mm I'm using.
    It's great to know that X-Fusion Vengeance 160 can also fit a 650B wheel in the front - I'm assuming that's a Neo-Moto 2.3 650B in the front and the clearance is fine even at full bottom???
    Fox forks are our for me too...Suspension experts stated that you'd have to service Fox forks almost every year, because if not, the internals fail bad and then it costs hella money to fix...Therefore it's going to be Rock Shox Revelation 650B @150mm OR the new X Fusion 650B Slant. BUT now maybe also the XFusion Vengeance??

The 650B Revelation is in the lead right now for next fork because BASICALLY THE SLANT SET UP TO 650B , you have to add a 10mm spacer so the crown does not bottom on your 650B wheel, so in reality the most you can get from a 160mm Slant is 160mm-10mm = 150mm, or 150mm-10mm=140mm, etc, etc. I just don't see the benefit in having a 160mm A-to-C yet only having 150mm of travel.

So does this mean the X-Fusion Vengeance you can get the full 160 or 150 or 140mm of travel without a limiting spacer and no rub on your 650B front wheel?
    I'm also concerned about running 160mm front and 140mm rear...you mention the 160mm is 'more than you'll ever need'. Wouldn't the bike have been better balanced with 150mm/140mm instead?
    My purpose for this bike is aggressive trail/slight All-Mountain

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    X-Fusion Vengeance is capable of running full 160 mm of travel. That being said I was asked if I wanted the fork setup at 150 mm when I did the build. I kept the fork at 160 figuring I could always change at a later date if I wanted. I still love the way the bike rides at 160mm, but probably would have done 150/140 if I did it again. I understand X-Fusion now has a Talas type version of the Vengeance which would have been perfect for my situation. X-Fusion also warranties this fork for 650 B use. I have no rubbing issues front or rear with this setup.

The bike was built up with the Neo Moto's on it, but on my fourth ride I had a complete tire failure on the front tire when I put a dime size hole in the front. I recently replaced the front with a Schwalbe racing tire. The Schwalbe is much more responsive than the Neo Moto so I'm kind of happy I made the change.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Running my Mojo HD in full 160 mode: Fox Van 160, DB Air, Stans EX 650B, Nobby Nic and some beta Maxxis tires. Plenty of room on the Fox for the tall Nobby Nic's, and haven't had any issues with the rear hitting the seat tube, mostly because it's tough to get the last vestiges of travel from the DBAir.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis Mojo HD 650 B-mojo_650b_1.jpg  

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Running my Mojo HD in full 160 mode: ..., and haven't had any issues with the rear hitting the seat tube, mostly because it's tough to get the last vestiges of travel from the DBAir.
    Yikes! Have you let out the air in the shock? 2 3/8 inches is the maximum shock shaft travel the 2nd generation HD having increased seat tube clearance, can clear with a 2.3 650b Neo-moto. That 1/8 inch reduction in shaft travel multiplies to about 3/8th wheel path travel deep into the seat tube.

It would be very prudent to shim the shock bottom travel 1/8 inch when running the HD in 160 mode with 650b. Although it may be unlikely, however, it could break the seat tube catastrophically if the tire pounds the seat tube after an air seal failed, and this would not make for a safe landing!

It sounds like the CCDB-Air would require a bigger volume air can for some riders to gain full travel on the HD160.

BTW, nice bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Greek66, beautiful bike! I'm happy to hear its working well for you. Did you get it set up as a 650b out of the gate or did you ride it at 26" before? I'm ready to pull the trigger on switching mine to 650b, just wondering if I'm losing anything by doing so. Mine is set up at 150/140 travel so from what I've read it's just plug and play, assuming my fork will clear the 650b tire.

Go ride!
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for all the great feedback. To charmon2 and anyone else looking to convert their Mojo HD to 650b be sure to check your front tire clearance by letting all the air out our fork and compressing it completely. Most forks will have enough clearance at the support arch but will have clearance issues at the bottom of the crown.

X-Fusion makes a great 650b fork that is not nearly as expensive as a Fox fork so I would suggest just buying a spare fork instead of taking a chance with a 26" fork. Email me at mark@probikesupply.com for price and any other questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks. I have been thinking about switching to X-Fusion front and rear ever since I got the bike. I am waiting to see what the 34mm (Slant?) looks like when it comes out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Bike Supply View Post
    Thanks for all the great feedback. To charmon2 and anyone else looking to convert their Mojo HD to 650b be sure to check your front tire clearance by letting all the air out our fork and compressing it completely. Most forks will have enough clearance at the support arch but will have clearance issues at the bottom of the crown.

X-Fusion makes a great 650b fork that is not nearly as expensive as a Fox fork so I would suggest just buying a spare fork instead of taking a chance with a 26" fork. Email me at mark@probikesupply.com for price and any other questions.
    Hi Mark can you just confirm to us something about the X-Fusion forks...I was told from X-Fusion customer service that the new Slant fork coming out is 650B "compatible". Meaning that a 10mm spacer has to be put in the internal travel so as to ensure that the crown of the fork doesn't rub the 650B tire at full bottom. What this means is that the effective travel = 'total travel' -10mm. For Example, 160mm Slant Fork = 150mm travel for 650B wheel.

Is this also true for the "650B compatible" Vengence fork as well? Is this true for all X-fusion forks? Thanks for clarifying this!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Awesome bikes in this thread! I too have been running 650b wheels for several months now and am possibly starting to regret it, but wanted to get some feedback from you guys. As you can see in the photo(s), there is some pretty serious scratching going on in the back from the tire picking up rocks and dragging them against the frame - even to the point where some of those scratches are pretty scary. Additionally, in the other picture, we see that there is some pretty serious scratching in the space between the link and the front triangle, but I don't think that part is related. Anyway, I have also had terrible luck with Tires, my neo-moto got 2 tears in the same ride and then another one a few weeks later, and the nevegal is starting to bubble after only about 3 -4 months. Needless, to say, I'm in a bit of a pickle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis Mojo HD 650 B-img_0167.jpg  

Ibis Mojo HD 650 B-img_0172.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by banebane View Post
    Awesome bikes in this thread! I too have been running 650b wheels for several months now and am possibly starting to regret it, but wanted to get some feedback from you guys. As you can see in the photo(s), there is some pretty serious scratching going on in the back from the tire picking up rocks and dragging them against the frame - even to the point where some of those scratches are pretty scary. Additionally, in the other picture, we see that there is some pretty serious scratching in the space between the link and the front triangle, but I don't think that part is related. Anyway, I have also had terrible luck with Tires, my neo-moto got 2 tears in the same ride and then another one a few weeks later, and the nevegal is starting to bubble after only about 3 -4 months. Needless, to say, I'm in a bit of a pickle.
    Thats kinda what my HD looks like, and I have always run 26" wheels. That looks like all surface stuff, nothing to worry about. Bikes are meant to be ridden.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well I feel silly... I figured they were just surface, just wanted to make sure I wasn't special... I sure do hope they come out with some half way decent tires soon though

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well I feel silly... I figured they were just surface, just wanted to make sure I wasn't special... I sure do hope they come out with some half way decent tires soon though
    I think a 650b Hans Dampf is on the way. I am loving the 26" and 29" versions of that tire. That would be the ticket on the HD.

mtbr member
    Im not sold on the 160/140. Ive tried it on my 26" hd and it feels unbalanced and too choppered out with not enough weight on the frontend. Makes turning feel awkward. Id encourage you to try internally lowering ur fork to 140.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Helicopter tape. Sand it slightly, put a layer of clear coat to restore it, and then some heilcopter tape.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey Greek66, how did you mount the V2īs with the Hope standard (not V2īs) floating rotors? Did you swapped for X2 pads?

screamer
    ...nm...

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    I think a 650b Hans Dampf is on the way. I am loving the 26" and 29" versions of that tire. That would be the ticket on the HD.
    I won't have a set of the Hans Dampf until Oct to test, but I'll see if I can measure one at Interbike (beta on Norco 650B's), but I very much doubt you'll be able to fit one in the back of the HD. The Nobby Nic barely fit during my test.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I just got off the phone with my LBS and had them order a set of Flow EX's and 2.3 Neo Motos. Hopefully everything is available sooner than later.

Dissolved member
    Has anyone tried to run the rear in a 160mm mode with 140mm chips? That might help with clearance problems without shimming the shock; but the wheel would obviously sit a little higher in its travel.

Here is a pic of a shim of an Avalanche DHX 5. I could not make the wheel rub with the Avy, it is tough to completely bottom out thanks to the bumper, but I added one thin shim anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Look what the mail man just delivered...27.5 inches of carbon goodness!!! Now if BikeBling will just ship my King hubs I can get these built up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    what rims are those?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    They are the Light Bicycle rims from China. My neighbor has been running the 29er version for 8 months and loves them!!! They are 30mm outer width and 23mm inner, shoul be a nice wheelset.

mtbr member
    Cool. Should give you a nice tyre profile with that width rim.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I finally converted my HD! Between work, family and weather I don't have as much trail time as I'd like but so far, so good.

Ibis Mojo HD 650 B-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350022724.553292.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast