mtbr member
    Feb 2004

IBIS Mojo Carbon - Pics and Impressions

I picked it up yesterday and was able to get in a nice 2 hour ride. Thought I'd share some overall impressions. First off, it is a stunning bike to look at, even moreso in person. The owner of the shop, who has seen just about every bike imaginable, was amazed. He said he didn't know if I should ride it or hang it on the wall as art. The carbon work is just awesome. BTW, the rear triangle might even be more impressive than the front.

Details: The bike comes with a nice manual. Not that general manual you always get with your bike, the 'always wear a helmet when you ride' crap. Ibis provides a nice overview of the bike, how to set it up, how to care for it, how the Fox suspension works with the Mojo, etc. A small thing, but a great touch IMO. Sweet Ibis stem (possibly made by Syntace?), a stainless steel stay protector, included vinyl protectors to prevent cable rub, cool new '4 Ibis' logo on the seat tube (maybe representing the 4 owners?).

Ride: I have always wanted to ride a DW-link and compare it to my 4-bar ellsworth Id. Both are set up at 5.5 inches of travel and have a lightweight trail build, so this is a great comparison. The Id weighs a respectable 27.68 pounds, the Mojo comes in at 26.34 pounds (with the SL build and Shimano 959s). 2 hours is hardly a season of riding, but these 2 bikes are very different. The Mojo definitely pedals more efficiently. With the Id, I feel like I have 5.5 inches of travel, and not always in a good way. The Mojo feels almost race-like. The travel is there, but only when you need it. It climbs like a rocket...I set the RP23 at level 1 (there's also a 2 and 3, but I never needed them) and the rear stiffens with every pedal stroke. It almost felt like a hardtail. VPP and DW-link riders already know this I'm sure, but having never ridden either, this is entirely new to me. In between climbing and descending is that thing called flow and the Mojo gets you there easily. This is why I ride....to get to that place in the ride where your working hard, but don't know it. I rode my favorite section of trail 4 times just to keep experiencing this. There are not a lot of descents on this trail, but the Mojo seemed to handle them fine. (I flipped the RP23 to 'open' (propedal off, basically) and this really makes a big difference going downhill. This bike rips, plain and simple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Wow awesome!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Upset

I want more pictures and someone to build a light-weight speed hub version of this bike .

flow where ever you go
    Mbexx,

How about re-posting at the Ibis Mojo build thread: IBIS Mojo build thread

I think many Mojo owners and soon to be owners are watching that thread and would appreciate. Thanks