Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

IBIS Mojo Carbon

Tom Morgan stopped by Wrench Science with Hans' Mojo Carbon. I took the bike for a short ride and its stiff as nails and pedals like a champ. We are expecting them in late March early April. Here's a pic of Hans' bike, its a pre-production, but clearly ridden hard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    This bike is the most beautiful frame I've ever seen. I'd buy one on looks alone! However, knowing that it sports a Dave Weigle link makes it even more desireable to me. Can't wait to get reviews from real world experiences. Zaxxon, would you own one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap
    This bike is the most beautiful frame I've ever seen. I'd buy one on looks alone! However, knowing that it sports a Dave Weigle link makes it even more desireable to me. Can't wait to get reviews from real world experiences. Zaxxon, would you own one?
    I think anyone looking for an all mountain rig, would be more than stoked on this bike. Pictures give this bike no justice. This and a Maverick ML7.5 I think are the best designed big travel XC bikes on the market. I have 10 or 15 frames coming to me and they said they are expecting them to arrive late March (mediums and larges). They are pre-sold on there whole entire production run, so what the shops have and pre-ordered is all there's going to be. I would recommend getting your name on one if your serious.
    -----------------------
    The world's only compatible bike builder
    [SIZE=3]wrenchscience[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Nice looking bike.

Quote Originally Posted by zaxxon
    Tom Morgan stopped by Wrench Science with Hans' Mojo Carbon. I took the bike for a short ride and its stiff as nails and pedals like a champ. We are expecting them in late March early April. Here's a pic of Hans' bike, its a pre-production, but clearly ridden hard.
    But you might as well not have a water-bottle cage if it's going to be mounted down there. How the heck are you supposed to reach it without killing yourself?

mtbr member
    Oh my pulse just started racing at the sight of a real world Mojo carbon. I have mine on order and simply can't wait. This next month will be painful. Ok, breathe...

Since I use a camelbak, I'm not concerned about the placement of the bottle mount, at least there is one for my BLT lighting battery, and its mounted low for good center of gravity.

I'm building mine up from the frame, so for the last 3 months I've been scouring the net and selecting all the parts for the build. That's been a load of fun.

Anything else you can tell us about it?

mtbr member
    They tweaked the drop outs from the pre-production model. The dropouts and the stays dropped an additional 150 grams. So its pretty much 5.5 lbs on the nose. The way you see it built weighed in at 26.5 lbs.
    Oh no, there goes my heart rate again...

That will bring my build in at 25.8lbs, for a solid trail bike... oh my.
    Last edited by MJ51; 02-22-2006 at 04:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ51
    Oh my pulse just started racing at the sight of a real world Mojo carbon. I have mine on order and simply can't wait. This next month will be painful. Ok, breathe...

Since I use a camelbak, I'm not concerned about the placement of the bottle mount, at least there is one for my BLT lighting battery, and its mounted low for good center of gravity.

I'm building mine up from the frame, so for the last 3 months I've been scouring the net and selecting all the parts for the build. That's been a load of fun.

Anything else you can tell us about it?
    They tweaked the drop outs from the pre-production model. The dropouts and the stays dropped an additional 150 grams. So its pretty much 5.5 lbs on the nose. The way you see it built weighed in at 26.5 lbs.
    -----------------------

mtbr member
    One other thing, the test bikes they crushed took 3x the acceptable crushing force to break the frame. It has integrated headset which makes the headtube larger, which inturn allows them to put more carbon on the joining of the headtube.
    Ya, I had that discussion with Scot Nicol via email. I was concerned about the integrated headset, and after our communication, I see the benefits FAR outweigh the small negatives of the integrated system. Those guys really know their stuff. I have never bought a bike sight unseen (or unridden actually) but I have faith in this rig, based on Scot's past reputation. I'm a bit worried about the RP3 reliability issues that have been coming out lately.

Do you recall if that bike was a Med or a LG?

mtbr member

One other thing, the test bikes they crushed took 3x the acceptable crushing force to break the frame. It has integrated headset which makes the headtube larger, which inturn allows them to put more carbon on the joining of the headtube.
    -----------------------

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Is this Mojo Carbon frame made in China?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yes, both the Silk Carbon and Mojo Carbon are made in China. The folks at Ibis have been very upfront about this, and talk about the frames' manufacture on their website.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VentanaNewbie
    Is this Mojo Carbon frame made in China?
    They are being produced in China, but there are a few reasons for it. They made the right choice, I don't think there would be someone in the US who could produce this bike in quantity and keep the standards up. Most carbon companies in the US are for the military. China's factories are designed with bikes in mind. Almost all the carbon bikes on the market are from overseas. They are really blurring lines these days. For example, they are now saying if the asians are taught a technique that is specific to region, for example italy, then they can claim it to be produced from that country. Also if they assemble or paint or do anything else other than putting it in a box they can claim its from that country. There was big hoopla with that and specialized a handful of years ago. Specialized had built in the US stickers on their frame, but they were only assembled here. Unfortunately the US is getting hammered just like any other US industry from better offshore production. When I mean better I mean from a mass production to price. Clearly the US kicks the crap out of everyone else. Unfortunately BUSH takes those words to seriously.
    -----------------------

AJG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

No good

They are being produced in China, but there are a few reasons for it. They made the right choice, I don't think there would be someone in the US who could produce this bike in quantity and keep the standards up. Most carbon companies in the US are for the military. China's factories are designed with bikes in mind. Almost all the carbon bikes on the market are from overseas. They are really blurring lines these days. For example, they are now saying if the asians are taught a technique that is specific to region, for example italy, then they can claim it to be produced from that country. Also if they assemble or paint or do anything else other than putting it in a box they can claim its from that country. There was big hoopla with that and specialized a handful of years ago. Specialized had built in the US stickers on their frame, but they were only assembled here. Unfortunately the US is getting hammered just like any other US industry from better offshore production. When I mean better I mean from a mass production to price. Clearly the US kicks the crap out of everyone else. Unfortunately BUSH takes those words to seriously.

We all don't live in Berkley DUDE! This Is a bike forum....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AJG
    Did it bother you that I mentioned W? Doesn't he mountain bike?
    -----------------------

Sounds to me like he was explaining why many bikes are made in Asia and why there's no problem with that. What does living Berkeley have to do with it DUDE?

AJG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Hope Is this MTBR?

Yes, I believe he rides a Trek if I'm not mistaken.Mentioning a President, or anyone else for that matter, in a bike related situation would be appropriate here.

I come here to learn about and discuss bike related topics. Your chapter ending snipe at Bush did little to finish your explanation why the Chinese are making our carbon frames.

Try a blog somewhere for that stuff and leave these pages clean of your slant on politics.

Ok?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I think....

what AJG was referring to was zaxxon's Bush reference / slight. Berkely is well known as a predominently liberal area in the U.S. I agree that we should leave politics out of these forums.....

AJG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Enough said

Thanks, It's like a nail in your tire after an all day epic ride.

Keep it clean.

Mbexx and AJG...

I'm sure your both aware that you can't excape politics anywhere you go... especially on an internet forum.
    If it gets out of hand, I'm sure the moderators will.... moderate.
    As far as your sweeping comments about folks living in Berkeley, that's where you pushed my buttons.
    I'm a gun totin' flag wavin' moderate and I'm not alone here!
    (here's where the moderator should step in)

bleeding eventually stops

RIP Ibis

I rode different Ibis' for around 15 years. Really was a tremendous fan of the bikes and Scot Nicol. It's really, really disingenuous to call that bike an Ibis. As far as I understand the bike was designed and mostly through production before Scot had anything to do with it.
    I'm sure the bike is well built and rides as well as reputed. Personally I think it's as ugly as sin and Ibis putting it's logo on it just puts the nails on the coffin of what was Ibis.

mtbr member
    Thanks, It's like a nail in your tire after an all day epic ride.

Keep it clean.
    Its taken alot of self control to not repsond to this, but I do have to say that if you go to just about any forum here, you will find alot of opinions about alot of things that don't pertain to bikes. For example the whole "show me your vintage car" under the vintage bike section. Hey I just heard that Cindy Shehan just moved to town, in good ol BEZERKLEY the land of liberals, homosexuals, minoritys and midgets? Yeah we live in an open minded world, but back to the facts. IBIS is a great company, there bikes are made overseas but still have a very high standard and they ride like a champion. I would suggest it to every Right and Left wing cyclist in the world.
    -----------------------

AJG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Thank you again

My point from the begining. I am a silk Ti owner

Quote Originally Posted by dr.dirt
    I rode different Ibis' for around 15 years. Really was a tremendous fan of the bikes and Scot Nicol. It's really, really disingenuous to call that bike an Ibis. As far as I understand the bike was designed and mostly through production before Scot had anything to do with it.
    I'm sure the bike is well built and rides as well as reputed. Personally I think it's as ugly as sin and Ibis putting it's logo on it just puts the nails on the coffin of what was Ibis.
    can't you see we're trying to have a political discussion here? and you have to go and mention bikes! Crying out Loud!!!

mtbr member
    My point from the begining. I am a silk Ti owner
    Your stoked, the Silk TI is a sick bike.
    -----------------------

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ... W Rides US made Carbon Fuel

Did it bother you that I mentioned W? Doesn't he mountain bike?
    Yep, he does. But if he had his ruthers, he would log all the trees off of the trail for $$ (If it's public forest service land that is)
    Trek Fuel Carbon made in USA. I thinks at least Trek gave Kerry a Fuel also. (But he gave it to the poor)
    Just kidding guys .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast