Green Mojo

Ibis Mojo On A Bike Rack

I have a new green Mojo and am wondering....

Will I damage the paint on my bike if I transport bike using car mounted bike rack? Right now if I drive to a trail I lay my bike down inside my SUV to avoid damaging the paint. Are others strapping their bikes in to Yakima or Thule type carriers that feature rubber straps - strapped around the bike frame? If so, does this type of use wear on the painted frames??

Thanks.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerneil
    I have a new green Mojo and am wondering....

Will I damage the paint on my bike if I transport bike using car mounted bike rack? Right now if I drive to a trail I lay my bike down inside my SUV to avoid damaging the paint. Are others strapping their bikes in to Yakima or Thule type carriers that feature rubber straps - strapped around the bike frame? If so, does this type of use wear on the painted frames??

Thanks.
    Not long after getting my mojo I switched from a hitch hanging style bike rack to a hitch tray style.

I did seem some damage on the clear layer I applied over the naked carbon frame - but it wasn't from the hanging or the rubber strap, it was from a stablizing option the hanging thule rack had. I didn't like hanging racks where it seemed the bikes just flopped all over the place so wanted a stable system - however it was not good for the bikes.

I am very happy with the hitch tray system I now have. (I drive an FJ cruiser with a thule box on top so putting bikes up there is not something I wanted to do (plus I have a 20mill thru axle front fork on my mojo and my downhill bike as well.)

Downunder Mojophile
    I use the Thule roof mounted system with some rubber padding. No damage, no movement

Too Much Fun

Yakima King Cobra might do the trick...

It grips the front wheel and straps down the rear. No frame contact at all. Locking cable goes around the downtube. Mounts are compatible with Thule bars as well...

Got it for my Nomad w/20mm front end and love it.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Bikerneil,
    The answer is yes, you can do some cosmetic damage to the paint. I put my Mojo on my buddies' hanging rack (where you then reinforce the hold with a rubber strap). Even with the rubber, the contact points caused some scratching. Definitely go with another racking option, like the ones illustrated here.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by ozelise
    I use the Thule roof mounted system with some rubber padding. No damage, no movement
    I use the same rack. I don't add any rubber in the clamp. I do have 8 mil protective tape on the underside of the downtube and added a piece on the top side where the Thule clamp goes. The Thule clamp is soft but the tape insures no scratches even from dirt on the bike or clamp.

I imagine for a lot of racks, the use of protective tape where the clamps go will work.