mtbr member

ibis integrated headset design

anyone have an opinion on the negatives of integrated headsets, especially for the ibis mojo? chris king's website kinda trashes them...

http://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_he...explain_2.html

if i'm going to drop this amount of cash on a new bike frame, why wouldn't this be a big concern to people?

i will say i just rode the mojo, and loved it compared to the blur lt....but the light weight (i like to beat up my bike a bit and ride aggressively thru rock gardens and jumps), posts on the frame getting beat up, and headset are making me wonder if this puppy will fall apart. should i be considering the iron horse dwlink frames to compensate for these 'issues?'

mtbr member
    nothing?! really!? so i guess my fears of integrated headsets aren't warranted, despite what chris king's site claims....

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry about it. Chris King and Cane Creek are like Shimano and SRAM in that they both claim to have the best solution.

For what it's worth, I have a CK headset on one bike and an IS on my Mojo and I can't tell the difference. We'll see how they both fare in 10yrs but I'm sure my IS will take a larger beating... because my other bike with the CK hardly gets used anymore.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    King's is a cautionary tale with merit.

*IF* the bearing has any slop where it sits in the cupless machined head tube, the head tube will take the brunt of it and *MAY* eventually become ovalized.

There aren't many mountain bikes out there using IS headsets. Look to user reviews of Maverick's ML series, and to some degree, Schwinn's ICBM standard from the late 90's, to get an idea of what you may be up against.

Remember! Be thankful for this standard, it saves you 20 precious grams!!!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

It's the axle
    I was giving this some thought too.

If there were galling between the bearing and frame headset mating surfaces, it would be slight. It would be something that could be cleaned up with a facing tool.

I guarantee that there will, or already is, a facing tool for resurfacing that angled surface. I wouldn't let this stop you from getting one of these bikes.

mtbr member
    Hans from Ibis responded to some of these same questions somewhere else in this forum i think it would clear up your questions.My schwinn is still working fine 2001 Homegrown with IS headset.I hope this helps.
    milesW