Compulsive Bike Builder

Ibis home page 2008 teaser

Just checked out the Ibis home page and got an '08 teaser that disappeared quickly. You can get it every time you look at the home page for a few seconds, but being the tech weenie that I am, I grabbed a copy of it for a more thorough inspection

My guess - a carbon hard tail. Any other ideas?
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    from that it certainly looks like it could be a hard tail. Is there a market for a carbon hard tail of the sort of quality that Ibis would produce? I guess perhaps for the racer market?

If they were to produce a Downhill Frame with the DW Link - now that would totally kick a$$.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have the feeling from that pic its a Ibis Hardtail with the design very similar to Mojo

mtbr member
    Good job Dirtdad!

I've been lusting over a carbon hardtail to satisfy the weight weenie in me! (As I noted in that old thread called "What would you like Ibis to make?")

I guess we'll find out for sure during Interbike but in the meantime, I'm going to start saving my money. Haha!

komojo dragon
    Mar 2007
    This reminds me of the caption for the picture section here at mtbr. hehe
    So in an irreverant word or two:

"the new pinstripe option for the mojo"
    "a new design for plates at the pottery barn"

I don't recall seeing as many straight lines in the mojo preliminaries... ?
    O-Jo-Mo-Jo!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I hope the frame is priced to serve regular folks and take share..

Less than double $400, or $800 would do it. +200 for customer service?

What is the chainstay length?

Is it a 29er?

29/26 F/R matches the picture.

It might come with a SS dropout, but looks like eccentric BB option to freeze the wheelbase?

These guys are pretty thorough.

It will be good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm, well im afraid that if they make it too cheap, the waiting list might be too long.

mtbr member

Ibis Singlespeed

Rumor I heard at Downieville was "Carbon Singlespeed". We'll see... sounds fun.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Ibis Tranny?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    A BMX bike.

heh

mtbr member
    Why is it that the only MTB I can see on their website is a $2,000 Mojo Carbon? If you select "Mountain" is goes straight to that and doesn't give the option for any aluminum hard tails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnli6
    Why is it that the only MTB I can see on their website is a $2,000 Mojo Carbon? If you select "Mountain" is goes straight to that and doesn't give the option for any aluminum hard tails.
    Probably because it's the only mountain bike they produce at this time.

Keep Riding !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrex Everything
    Rumor I heard at Downieville was "Carbon Singlespeed". We'll see... sounds fun.
    I want one, When can I order it?
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

mtbr member
    Good eye usr666,

I spent the last 10 minutes reloading the Ibis page to get a closer look at the pics. If I'm not mistaken, the second pic is a shot of the fixed stays looking towards the seatpost.

That's it! My Kula Supreme is going up for sale!

OregonMojo
    Feb 2007

More on Ibis 2008 Teaser

CarbonKen - I beleive you are correct about the second shot and the fixed chainstays. And the first shot is named "seatcluster" so you are clearly looking at fixed seatstays . . . or are you! (more below!)

Yesterday I asked Ibis, via email, if they could reveal any more about the upcoming product. I asked simply 'cause I thought, "what could it hurt to ask?" I stated my case -- loving my Mojo, and my wife & I are in the market for 3 more bikes, and don't want to make the wrong purchase if the new Ibis will fill the bill. I was also curious if the conjecture recently posted in one of the threads about an updated Mojo held any truth.

I promised that I would not reveal anything . . . but since they have now revealed what I learned slightly ahead of time, I will share . . .

Scot responded to me thusly:

Paul,
    Since you asked nicely.
    Here are two photos that will be published on the site today or tomorrow.
    We'll reveal all between Eurobike and Interbike. Maybe even sooner.
    Your mojo will not be outdated.
    Glad you like your bike!
    Scot

First off -- THANK YOU, Scot. That personal response, even more than the info, along with all the rest of the amazing involvement with, and support of, your customers, in its own way means as much to me as the Mojo itself. My wife & I will hold one - maybe two - of our new bike slots open for the new product. And that third slot is looking more & more like it will be filled by a second Mojo for my wife.

So, here are the two photos Scot sent me. This will make it easier to study them than constantly reloading the Ibis home page. Also, note that the file names are "seatclustercrop3" and "protoredwood2" . . . so in the first case it clearly labels what you are looking at.

Now . . . in the case of the "seatcluster" photo, since I have the JPEGs, I've already spent too much time studying it, zooming, changing contrast, etc. (And sorry, but I had to reduce the resolution/size from what I have to meet the MTBR size constraint on image uploads.) Just what is that "?" covering up??? The Ibis home page teaser says "this one portion of the bike isn't quite done yet, so we needed to hide it." I'm beginning to think there may be a pivot there . . . some sort of soft tail? Something else, obviously, or why else would it be covered with the secret "?" Look closely at the top edge of the tube just above the "?" -- my eyes see a change in the top line of the tube, almost as if there are two tubes joining in some fashion. Also look closely at the area of the tube just to the left of the "?" -- I see a shadow line that, to me, looks like a contour change that would be consistent in my thinking with the placement of a pivot. Your thoughts???

OregonMojo

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jpptmtb; 08-09-2007 at 08:20 PM.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    i just noticed the new 08 build options as well. The SL build looks a great change.
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/pricing/

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    i just noticed the new 08 build options as well. The SL build looks a great change.
    http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/pricing/
    and cheaper.

mtbr member
    Oregonmojo,

Thanks for posting the pics on this forum.

I have to agree with you. Based on the picture of the fixed seat stays (at the bottom) and "?" at the top, it sounds as though they're working on a soft tail.

Could we be looking at the next Bow-Carbon?

BTW, that was really nice of Scot to send you a personal reply. Try doing that with any other bike company and you get a standard cut/paste reply.

OregonMojo
    Feb 2007

Follow-Up to Bow-Ti?

And, to my thinking, it also makes some sort of sense, if only for me, and what do I know? . . . that is, in the sense of what has come before -- the historic context.

The original Ibis Mojo was "special." So what does the new Ibis do . . . resurrect the Mojo in an even "better" updated version.

I have seen the original Bow-Ti labeled as the "ultimate" and "most-revered" soft-tail. Why not choose to follow that up next? Ibis builds "bikes that we wanted to ride" (SN), and since the first incarnation of the company built a softtail that was considered state-of-the-art, why not follow that up with a new version?

I can only hope . . . !!!

mojo mofo
    If it is a Carbow, my excuse for avoiding an Eddy Orange Ibis is out the window. Justifying a second Mojo is hard, a second Ibis ... not so hard.

They don't paint the Silks yet, but I'm sure when they do the colors will be sick, so I'll want one of those even more as well.

I wonder if I can set up Ibis on my web banking as a direct deposit payee?

mtbr member
    Haha! I like that! Carbow!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Im thinking its a hardtail

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Word has it that it is a carbon hardtail that can also be converted to a singlespeed.