mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Ibis Hi-Fi & Lo-Fi Carbon bars?

Does anyone have any pics on these or know if they're for sale on their own? (Hans?)

Fiddling with the Ripley build kit comparisons and noticed these new carbon bars (on all kits except SLX and X9). Would love to know more about them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Did you look at the Ibis online store?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Yup. Only showing aluminum bar.

screamer
    Subscribed.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ahhh...try Jenson, they sell Ibis parts too.

It's the axle
    Take a look at Bike magazine. The Ripley review has the Ibis bars.

I emailed Ibis yesterday, and got the answer that the bars would be in the store in the coming weeks.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    We're shipping the riser bar currently in our kits and expecting to have the flat bars coming in within 6 weeks.

As we build some inventory we will add them to our web store and make them available through our dealers and distributors. That will happen in the next 2-3 months.

The bars blow away all the strength tests and are 740mm wide with a 9 degree back and 5 degree up sweep. The rise bar is about 200g and the flat is about 210 g. You would expect the flat bar to use less material, but to achieve the same strength the flat bar actually needs a bit more material. It's kind of counter intuitive, but the stress on the flat bar is a little more concentrated than it is on the riser bar.

They are reinforced on the ends so they can withstand impacts and even clamping from bar ends. We used very subtle black graphics so they will work with any color scheme and not clash. You could even put them on another brand of bike and nothing bad would happen ; )

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

It's the axle
    Hans,

Will the flat bars be available in shorter widths? 560mm is what I like running.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg K View Post
    Hans,

Will the flat bars be available in shorter widths? 560mm is what I like running.
    They can be cut down and have markings on them to help with that. The marking go down to 680 mm width and you would lose the reinforced end for clamping bar ends. I;m not sure how narrow you could cut them and still have room for the levers and grips. We made these bars mostly, because there were not many wide carbon bars available at the time, especially flat ones.

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    We're shipping the riser bar currently in our kits and expecting to have the flat bars coming in within 6 weeks.

As we build some inventory we will add them to our web store and make them available through our dealers and distributors. That will happen in the next 2-3 months.

The bars blow away all the strength tests and are 740mm wide with a 9 degree back and 5 degree up sweep. The rise bar is about 200g and the flat is about 210 g. You would expect the flat bar to use less material, but to achieve the same strength the flat bar actually needs a bit more material. It's kind of counter intuitive, but the stress on the flat bar is a little more concentrated than it is on the riser bar.

They are reinforced on the ends so they can withstand impacts and even clamping from bar ends. We used very subtle black graphics so they will work with any color scheme and not clash. You could even put them on another brand of bike and nothing bad would happen ; )

H
    I'll keep an eye on the store and will pick one up when they come in. Thanks Hans!

mtbr member
    Jenson's got 'em. Looks awfully tempting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Don't see the graphics Hans mentioned (or any graphics for that matter)...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    To bad they don't come wider or I'd get one....

mtbr member
    Just picked one up from my LBS yesterday. Very stealth. Black logos only appear when they catch the light. Weighed in at 224g. Almost 50g heavier than the Haven Carbon bars they are replacing, but they are MUCH stiffer and wider. Feels about as stiff as the Havoc Carbon bars on my other bike. A downside for me, but an upside for bar end users, is that the carbon is so thick at the ends that my Deity end plugs won't fit. I'll have to find some push in plugs for now.

Another cool feature is that if you mount the bars flat then you get an 11.5 deg backsweep, (something I've wanted to try for a while) but if you rotate them 26 deg up then you get a 9 deg backsweep and a 5 deg upsweep which is what I'm used to riding. Matched it to a flipped 70mm Ibis stem to get the bar even lower. The stem weighed in at 112g, 32g lighter than the Haven stem.

I'll have more of a ride review after I take them out tomorrow, but so far I'm digging 'em.

Santa Cruz Bronson - Niner EMD9 Rigid

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Ibis bar and stem

I am really liking the Ibis bar and stem and hope the carbon bar is in the store soon as I want one for another bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis Hi-Fi & Lo-Fi Carbon bars?-p1010546.jpg  

Ibis Hi-Fi & Lo-Fi Carbon bars?-p1010547.jpg