Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Ibis HDr not enough rear clearence

I have come across these pictures with HDr and schwalbe 650b HD 2.35 tire combo...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Too Much Fun

Yup, looks like the HD 2.35 is a bit too tight...

...and it would be nice if there was more room.

But like it clearly says on the Ibis web site:

"Depending on brand and depth of knobs, most 650b tires up to 2.35″ will fit the Mojo HDR. We've found that different tire manufacturers seem to use different calibrations on their rulers, so it could be that there are some 2.35" tires that don't fit."

And...

"Up to 2.35" rear tire depending on brand and height of cornering knobs"
    - -benja- -

mtbr member

Re: Ibis HDr not enough rear clearence

I agree with the statement.
    The problem is there is 0 clearance with these particular tires and it makes me wonder how much clearance will be left with other not so big 2.35 tires, not too much I assume...
    Don't get me wrong, this bike is really nice, but at the same time full of compromises.
    It is just too heavy for a 130mm carbon trail bike. 147mm option is not ready out of the box and requires modding. Plus the inadequate tire clearance.
    I was excited about this bike at first, not so much anymore...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Yeah, what a scam the HDR has been. Don't get me wrong, my HD has been AWESOME, in its fourth season now and Ibis CS has been stellar. But this revision just sets back a totally new bike without a lot of proper change from the original. Look at the build and presumably the numbers they got from using the Pacenti tires, some of the shortest 650b tires out there to make it look 'good'.

Sorry Ibis but my next bike, which I'm ready for now, will not be another Ibis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a feeling that ibis was working on the HDR before 650 really started to take off so they put it out anyway. The updates to the hd are nice and its still at the top of the heap for 26" bikes. But I agree that it would be nice to see a more dedicated 27.5.

Grams Light Bikes
    Wide rims and lower pressure for the tires helps somewhat, but all of Ibis's bikes have tire fitting issues. Including big fat 650B tires on the HD and 29er on the Ripley. My paint and some carbon is gone on the yoke of my HD's rear triangle. Ibis told me that the carbon is pretty thick back there. Big bummer.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes.....and should we be running big fat tires on a 29er or a 130mm 650b? More clearance would probably mean longer stays or less strength.

mtbr member
    HDR needed to be longer travel, stealth dropper post cable routing, internal cable routing, lower, more tire clearance, a smidge slacker...

but alas....

To be fair it's not just Ibis, I've seen many other manufacturer efforts in the flesh and have laughed at tire clearance etc..

I'll not look at 650b for a couple more years now.

My HD with 2.4 Rubber Queens' on (crazy high tires) is basically 650b.

mtbr member
    Problem is that Conti 2.4's rub the seat tube on a lot of the HD's as well. Pretty much is what it is right now. I think that once Ibis goes to the latest version of DW with shorter links we will see the long term solution. My gut tells me the HD-R will be fairly short lived in lineup and 12 months from now there will be a 150+ travel 275 bike available along with a light weight 130 travel bike.

mtbr member
    Luckily 2.4 RQ's don't rub on my MKII HD.

But yeah I agree, I think HD-R is a bit of a stop gap. Few more seasons in my HD, can't fault the bike.

Hopefully by then Ibis will have a proper 650b bike, although wheel size doesn't bother me - I'd just like a stealth port and slightly lower and slacker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Problem is that Conti 2.4's rub the seat tube on a lot of the HD's as well. Pretty much is what it is right now. I think that once Ibis goes to the latest version of DW with shorter links we will see the long term solution. My gut tells me the HD-R will be fairly short lived in lineup and 12 months from now there will be a 150+ travel 275 bike available along with a light weight 130 travel bike.
    +1 - the HDR seems like a stop gap measure to get a foot in the 650B door. I had Ibis at the top of my list for a new MTB, but they got scratched when I saw the HDR specs.

Having said that I'm sure Ibis will come out with 150mm travel 650B bike that can take a full range of tires and I'm sure it will be a great bike. I don't know if I'd hold my breathe for next year, but sooner or later that's a move that will happen.

I've got a lot of positive stoke for Ibis as a company. I'll just wait until I'm ready to get my next next mountain bike to taste the Kool Aid.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Anyone have a SUCCESS story to share about HDR 650 tire clearance?

mtbr member
    As long as you stick to 2.2 tires you will be fine. There is also a 2.25 Hans Dampf in 275 available which fits fine. Plenty of clearance and no issues. Most people do not need to run such large rear tires, but it is really nice to have the option when it is necessary.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_ View Post
    HDR needed to be longer travel, stealth dropper post cable routing, internal cable routing, lower, more tire clearance, a smidge slacker...

but alas....

To be fair it's not just Ibis, I've seen many other manufacturer efforts in the flesh and have laughed at tire clearance etc..

I'll not look at 650b for a couple more years now.

This.

This is why I got the HD not the HDR. I didn't think there was much I was going to gain from it. The HD was cheaper from being deprecated, it's been proven with 26" wheels (and both work with 26" wheels and even some 650b but not all), and I'm not ready to cut over to 650b yet (lack of tire availability).

It's definitely not just Ibis. I bet Trek did this too, given how quickly they flipped on 650B. This second generation of 650b (first gen being Turner, Intense, Ventana for example), is going to be a lot of "Oh we only recommend a true 2.1 650b or 2.2 650b tire in the rear (not Ibis, but prolly others), and there will be a lot of complaints from the buyers on not being able to either fit the right tire or not have the right tire available (there still is a lack of 650b rubber available compared to the 26" and 29" bikes).

The nice thing is the HD does clear narrow 650b in the rear (and I can get a retrofitted HDR swingarm if needed), and the geo allows for a 650b fork in the front.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_ View Post

You should see how monster the TK 2.4x27.5 are. When you put them into the rear of an HD the tire hardly even moves.

_____
    Jul 2007
    I have a 1st gen HD 26" and I wish I could run smaller tires but I've destroyed a set of Flows running 2.3s on the abundant square rocks here in Phoenix. I'm protecting my rims with a massively heavy, 1100 gram, Trail King 2.4. Pedaling such a heavy tire is like running with weights around my ankles. At 6'5 I would surely benefit from 650B wheels and I was planning on getting the retrofit swing arm, but if I can't run a large volume tire what's the point?

On paper the new Mach 6 looks like a perfect bike but it's just so d@mn ugly! I hope Ibis is feverishly working on an all new answer to the Mach 6. An elegant 650b replacement for the HD that can run big tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What is the point of a new rear triangle that still can't fit standard all mountain tires?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Seems to me 2.35" is a little on the large side of standard. No? It's supposed to be more of a trail bike than full-on all mtn. I believe...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Seems to me 2.35" is a little on the large side of standard. No? It's supposed to be more of a trail bike than full-on all mtn. I believe...
    I wouldn't buy a trail bike that couldn't fit a tire like a 2.35 HD in the rear.

mtbr member
    There are certain places like Phoenix where you do really need large volume tires or you have to run very high pressures. Higher pressures make a big difference in traction and small bump compliance so it is less than ideal.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    As long as you stick to 2.2 tires you will be fine. There is also a 2.25 Hans Dampf in 275 available which fits fine. Plenty of clearance and no issues. Most people do not need to run such large rear tires, but it is really nice to have the option when it is necessary.
    From what I have seen or read, most of the 2.2 tires are a no-go or a very tight fit in the HD because they are tall - Wild Grip'r 2.2 is a no go (I lost a few carbon layers in the yoke), Ardent 2.2 is reportedly quite tall, too, Honey Badger 2.2 is even taller. Hans Dampf 2.25 SS fits but if you ride in rocks, you may not get more than 300 miles out of it (my experience). Nobby Nic 2.25 is a joke of a tire for the HD. What is left? Neo Moto 2.3, Nevegal 2.1 and possibly 2.3. Maybe some of the new smaller Hutchinson tires. We were told the HD-R has more tire clearance than HD but is it enough for at least the 2.2 Honey Badger and Ardent on wide rims?

screamer
    Part of the dilemma here is that -- despite all the hype -- 27.5 has a middling tire selection at best, so there just isn't a lot of choice out there. I get that many may be frustrated that their tire of choice doesn't fit in the rear tri, but the industry needs to settle down on what is an "acceptable" dimension for particular tire categories so that bike companies have something to design towards. For what it's worth, I've had great luck with the neomoto 2.3 on my HD, in rocky NorCal Tahoe conditions. About .25" clear.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think the bottom line is that on anything other than an XC bike, having significant tire restrictions is a tough pill to swallow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Uhhh I don't get it. I barely run 2.2's for XC rides let alone normal trail riding.
    My "Standard" tyre is a 2.5 single ply exo Minion.
    I am starting to get the feeling that the HDR is a little under cooked.
    Looks like too many corners cut to fit 650B - travel and tyre clearance being key.
    Just as well that I am loving the stock HD and maybe there will be an HDRR (extra R for "revised!")

Too Much Fun

Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Nobby Nic 2.25 is a joke of a tire for the HD.
    Has anyone run a NN 2.25 on the HDR (not HD at 27.5) and can confirm that it doesn't fit? 2.35 NN I would expect to be about as bad as the HD 2.35, but I'll be bummed if the 2.25 NN doesn't fit...
    - -benja- -

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast