mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Ibis HD3 vs short travel slack 29er?

Has anyone compared the HD3 with the new generation short travel slack 29ers i.e.. Evil The Following? Bike magazine tested both bikes in their bible of bike. Most of the reviewers picked the Evil as their favorite of the whole test. Seems like two totally different bikes aimed at conquering the same type of terrain. Any back to back comparisons would be greatly appreciated, since I'm trying to decide between these two for my next trail/AM bike. I have a hard tail 29er for true XC type rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well I haven't ridden the HD3, but I owned a Ripley and have The Following on order. So I can at least compare those two eventually I'm hoping the Evil will be a nice blend of the Ripley and HD3, we'll see.

On paper, the HD3 and Following are very close in geometry with the differences being travel and wheel size.

Interested as you are to hear opinions.

ready to ride
    I think it all depends on what you are expecting out of your bike, but I don't really under stand the comparison. The Following is a 120mm rear and 120-130mm Front. The HD3 is 150mm rear and 150-170mm front depending how you set it up. So how can you compare a mid travel 29er with a long travel 650b? There may be certain ride qualities that are similar. They may both be excellent climbers. They both might do great downhill. I suspect the HD3 will excel going over chunder, rock gardens, jumps, and drops. I have a tallboy I have ridden all kinds of stuff on and I admittedly though the 650b was a bunch of hype and marketing until I rode a bunch of them. To me 29er shine for more XC small travel or hard tails. 650b better for all mountain, jumps, drops, and technical riding. Yes I know there are plenty of 29ers that can fit in that all mountain chunk area and if you are really tall then it might make since. For me being under 6' the 650b is more active and more fun in the technical stuff.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    According to the folks at Bike Magazine the Evil is every bit as capable as the HD3 on the descents. Vernon went on to say that it was the second best descending bike in the whole test. They seem to think that geometry plays more of a role than the amount of travel.

Take a look at this video if your wondering what kind of riding the Evil can handle.

Video: Luke Strobel Launches The Following - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    I'm sure Luke could fly on those trails riding a rigid hardtail too. It doesn't mean a hardtail or even the following is the best tool for the job for your average erider / weekend warrior. I have a hard time believing the following would be more capable than an hd3 in chunky downhill tracks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    very relevant thread as I'm asking myself the same question. I own an HD 160 that is on the plush side (Pike, monarch+), which I've taken to the parks (Northstar, Whistler) before I built a dedicated DH bike (Giant Glory 8"). I just recently demoed a Ripley with 941 + Minion 2.3 wheels and that was a LOT of fun - first 29" I liked and didn't feel like big wagon wheels to me and was good going down - I'm 6'3". The 29" super wide wheels just gobbled up all the rough stuff and made some sketchy trails (ex: goat trail in SC) much more fun...I went back next day with my HD (also runnign fairly low pressure, but narrower Flow wheels at 22 ID) and it wasn't as much fun/safe.

BUT during jumps (nothing really big - ~3ft drops) I fell the 120mm just came up short. Maybe a different shock (and fork, not a fan of Fox 34 CTD vs my Pike) would make this small range more usable, but the reality is that 120 and 160mm are very different when it comes to jump which wheel size can't compensate... rolling over rough the 29 will make up for a shorter 120mm front, and then some IMO.

It's always a trade-off... for me a longer Ripley would be ideal. Till then I'm keeping my HD and may try super wide rims (and 650b front as my pike is that size).
    Last edited by adumesny; 1 Week Ago at 03:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks. It's nice to hear direct comparisons from people that have ridden both bikes. FYI - The Evil has more aggressive geometry than the Ripley, and may be what you are after. Still only has 120 mm of rear wheel travel though.

Personally I'm more interested in which bike will be more composed on high speed, rough and steep descents rather than large jumps or drops.

ready to ride
    The Following was clearly the favorite at the tests they did for the "bible". Once again I think you have to define what it is you are expecting from your bike. I think it's relative to where the testing was done as well. I have never ridden Bend OR which was their testing grounds but from what I understand it is a lot of super fast flowy trails. No real chunder and rock gardens, nor big drops or jumps. I have 29er short travel bike and I love it. I can clean all kinds of stuff on it. Even have done big jumps and drops at the Teton pass. I am going. Through all the travel and there is some things I don't ride simply because I don't feel safe with the amount of travel versus my skill level. If I were in the market for a 29er the Following would be very tempting. I still don't think it's a good comparison. It's also worth noting that they said the HD3 was the best do it all, all mountain bike.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerofooz View Post
    I'm more interested in which bike will be more composed on high speed, rough and steep descents rather than large jumps or drops.
    I get you. I'm not into big drops either but it was what I noticed as a limitation. It's hard to compare the rough and steep unless you have the same build on both bikes (wheel width, tires, and mostly fork) and see how 29 vs 26 with lot more travel does. The Geo/TireWheel combo of the Ripley worked a lot better to me in the sketchy descend than that other 29" I tried (way too cross country TallBoy almost flew over a few times, LT was bit better but still not as fun as my HD).

I did just that swapping a 27.5 front wheel of similar build on my HD and going 3 times through a rough rock garden on both 26 and 27.5 to compare wheel size. Small difference in rolling (29 is much more noticeable), but much more noticeable 10mm extra height in handle bar (so much I raised my pike to 160mm and stem too).

The Evil looks good and would like to demo one, but afraid the 120mm rear might not be enough
    (I never use full front travel unless catastrophic nose landing but tune my rear to use full travel on bigger days, else why have 6" travel hey ?

All bike, all the time
    The problem is the Following hasn't been available long enough to demo, purchase or ride to make a really valid comparison. We're all kinda guessing here. That said... Riding a Ripley/Pike with the 41s and HRs, I couldn't push it beyond its travel or handling on a variety of launches, drops, jumps and swoops. I'm 200 w/gear, 6-1. So again it's just a guess, but my guess is it's a close call! (I know, helpful, helpful...)
    All bike, all the time