mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Ibis HD or something else?

I just sold my very reliable ibis mojo c and planning on getting a new 160mm travel bike. First plan was, get an Ibis mojo hdr or hd. But, a friend of mine told me get something else and try a different brand. I was thinking of 2 other brand the nomad c and the specialized enduro c. What do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    For me it would be HDR or Bronson

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    Three amazing bikes probably. But "try something different" is not reason enough not to build on the ground of your "very reliable" mojo. Were you satisfied with your local Ibis dealer? With Ibis support? Did you testride any of these candidates? Fitting? Availability?

mtbr member
    if you do a lot of climbing HD all the way. otherwise its going to be tough decision. personally i dont like fsr suspension, even though for 5 years i was thinking its the best in the world.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    if you do a lot of climbing HD all the way. otherwise its going to be tough decision. personally i dont like fsr suspension, even though for 5 years i was thinking its the best in the world.
    This. There are plenty of bikes out there that are great going downhill, but being able to pedal them uphill too isn't that common. Just got my HD, and was able to do a 3 mile climb with significant elevation change (for me, some people are billy goats, not me), and I was able to do it without being beaten to hell and back. Even rode the rest of the ride, which was 18 miles (which is a lot for me) without bonking
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    You're on the Ibis forum, asking if you should get a Spesh instead of an HD/HDR?

www.derbyrims.com
    I like to demo bikes before buying. They are so expensive. And then after buying a new frame, or bike. I have usually kept my old frame a year or so to be sure the new frame has no defects and is really better than the previous after setting up the suspension and components for my riding interests.

mtbr member
    If I had a choice between all those bikes it would definitely be an HDR with 160 (pike)front an bikeco's custom tuned 147mm rear shock and 650b..
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

meh
    Not to derail, care to say what you sold your Mojo C for? Cant decide if mine is worth selling, or keeping it around for a backup bike
    For me its a no brainer, HDR all the way...def wouldn't consider a specialized

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I demo'd the Nomad before getting my HD.
    It's a great bike for DH, but will not pedal/climb as well as the HD.

Also be careful with Santa Cruz Carbon. Some of their frames have had disbonding issues.

Too Much Fun

Hope Is this a true friend....?

Quote Originally Posted by ibismojo09 View Post
    I just sold my very reliable ibis mojo c and planning on getting a new 160mm travel bike. First plan was, get an Ibis mojo hdr or hd. But, a friend of mine told me get something else and try a different brand. I was thinking of 2 other brand the nomad c and the specialized enduro c. What do you guys think?
    I think you need to question the basis of this "friendship"... Friends don't let friends ride Spesh.

In all seriousness though, if you've been happy with the ride of your Mojo C up until now, then definitely go HD-R. I was on an SL before my HD and I thought the SL was dreamy. The HD was even more so.

Go HD-R.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for all the input guys. I loved the mojo that's why I rode it for 4 years. I sold mine because I think its dated already. With all the new stuff carbon layup, 12x142 rear maxle etc... I do a mixed of climbing and dh. And I like the enduro stuff. I went to our local bike shop and get a hold of the hd. I was surprised that it is so heavy compared to my old one. Though, the one that I hold was a med size and I ride small. My question is, is hdr any lighter than HD?

mtbr member
    You will be putting the HD/R through a LOT more punishment than your SL. It is built as strong as it needs to be to last.. I speak from experience! Don't worry about an extra pound of carbon, you will be happy it is there in the long run. HDR is a little lighter supposedly.

I would NOT swap my HD for a Nomad. You gain exactly zero in that swap. The HD climbs better and descends as well as the Nomad. The Enduro sucks for pedaling so again it is a zero sum game. The ONLY bike I am considering is the Pivot Mach 6 and that is probably my short attention span more than anything else. If you want VPP go Bronson not Nomad. I have a feeling that the Nomad will disappear from the SC lineup in the next 6 months. Too much overlap with the Bronson.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had a hd for a few years then fancied trying something else.
    Built a 2013 nomad c. I tried a few different configurations of it but wasn't happy. Small bump compliance was garbage with ctd and rocco, then changed to push link and pushed rc4. That helped but I still didn't like the handling that much.
    Back on a 2013 hd now
    Only problem I have is that I've snapped the rear triangle on my 3rd ride and am waiting on replacement.
    Enduro and covert c and evil were an option before I built the hd but went with something I know to be on the safe side.
    Mach 6 would have been tempting if it was out at the time.
    Hd versatility is a biggy too~160/140, 160~180 forks. 26/650b.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    You will be putting the HD/R through a LOT more punishment than your SL. It is built as strong as it needs to be to last.. I speak from experience! Don't worry about an extra pound of carbon, you will be happy it is there in the long run. HDR is a little lighter supposedly.

I would NOT swap my HD for a Nomad. You gain exactly zero in that swap. The HD climbs better and descends as well as the Nomad. The Enduro sucks for pedaling so again it is a zero sum game. The ONLY bike I am considering is the Pivot Mach 6 and that is probably my short attention span more than anything else. If you want VPP go Bronson not Nomad. I have a feeling that the Nomad will disappear from the SC lineup in the next 6 months. Too much overlap with the Bronson.
    Add the SB66c to that list, Id still choose the HDR but the Mach 6 definitely a contender.

As Waldo said, I also like the Evil on paper but not seen one in person or ridden one, just like its lines.

SP I think the Nomad and Bronson are quite different bikes, I think people are way caught up with fashion at present, the can cross over but so can many bikes, you could argue that the Mojo and Mojo HD over lap too much as well.

Just have a different perspective on this and think its often over simplified.

The Nomad is still built by most I see here anyway in our terrain light but still burly and still very capable, while I wouldn't choose one over the HD for the same reasons you mention, I doubt SC will ditch it, they have just updated the GEO on it for 2014.

People forget they're is still a huge market for 20mm axle forked light strong bikes in the 160-180 bikes that are light pedal well which these all do, if you lean to more XC side of that the Bronson might be suited to you better.

Jamie Nicol just came 3rd at RD 5 of Crankworx Whistler on a std Nomad with a 36 Fox Fork, he is not a pro, he's a great rider but he's not a big ex World Cup DH star or Enduro or XC WC athlete yet he is an athlete, he's a good and top local Kiwi rider, 35yo pushing 40, if we were to believe all the hype about wheel size he has done the impossible!

Just think about that for a bit, setup, working hard, knowing his bike well and steadily learning at each round has got him to that point, not big wheels or big sponsors at arguably the most difficult round not just the terrain but the climbing and time on the bike all in one day. Just saying to provide a balance.

These are all great bikes imo, but Ibis for me is at the top, SB66c close second but maybe not as versatile, but very capable. I like Pivot but something just looks funky in they're frames to me, the carbon models certainly better, if buying a DH bike right now a Phoenix would be at the top of that list.

Good luck with it, remember you're friend might not like getting beat so much by you either, HD is almost like cheating legally

mtbr member
    Totally agree that there is a space for the Nomad, I just don't think their sales are going to support it. Not a lot of Nomads being sold right now, but EVERYONE will lament when it is gone from the lineup. Personally I think they should update it a little more and extend the travel to 170 to separate it from the Bronson. Most people don't look at the geo, they look at the travel.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Totally agree that there is a space for the Nomad, I just don't think their sales are going to support it. Not a lot of Nomads being sold right now, but EVERYONE will lament when it is gone from the lineup. Personally I think they should update it a little more and extend the travel to 170 to separate it from the Bronson. Most people don't look at the geo, they look at the travel.
    Very true. For the Nomad, I've seen a lot of mixed feedback on it. People either really love it, or are meh about it. Couldn't find a small to test ride on the trails, so I have my HD and I'm very happy with it.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ibismojo09 View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. I loved the mojo that's why I rode it for 4 years. I sold mine because I think its dated already. With all the new stuff carbon layup, 12x142 rear maxle etc... I do a mixed of climbing and dh. And I like the enduro stuff. I went to our local bike shop and get a hold of the hd. I was surprised that it is so heavy compared to my old one. Though, the one that I hold was a med size and I ride small. My question is, is hdr any lighter than HD?
    The HD frame is half pound heavier than the Mojo C, one pound heavier than the SL and SLR.

The HDR frame is a half pound lighter than the HD frame, so same weight as the Mojo C, but much stiffer flexing, longer ETT and slacker frame angles.

Most HD and HDR builds are more heavy duty than a C, SL, SLR build, this is the real weight difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've finally decided. I just ordered a reverse vit p from my lbs. the downside though was I have to wait for a month to get my frame. What a bummer.

mtbr member
    Congrats you will not be disappointed. Such a killer bike! What is the build going to look like? Please say a Pike 160 on the front and not Fox. XX1/XO1? Details!