Thread: Ibis/ENO Fixie

Medium?

Ibis/ENO Fixie

Here ya go. I'm trying to get back into good standing with Ernesto, and I figure an ENO conversion would be my best shot.

I can never wait to ride long enough to get clean pictures.

I wanted ENO cranks too, but these were 1/2 price, and that bent ring pic the other day scared me.

Bad picture that shows the whole bike. I was in a hurry this am when I took them.

Syntace Cow Horn Bars and lever courtesy of Donkey.

Phil Wood hub that I had in the parts bin. Note the hybrid crow's foot spoke lacing.

Nice head tube badge, eh? It's my first. All my other bikes had paint or stickers.

Donkey also talked me into the Chri$ King headset. I actually had to dremel (oh the horror!) the inside of the headtube to get it to fit in there.

It would have been nice if the budget stem, post and saddle I got from Supergo were a little less flashy.

The rims are open pros with the stickers removed. I built the wheels myself. They're my fouth and fifth. The first three are all still perfect. 8^)

The premier website on spoke lacing [it comes up first in a google search for spoke lacing] says about the lacing pattern I chose, "I have used a lacing like this on my 32 spoke road bike rear wheel and found it to have the best riding qualities of any 32 spoke wheel I have ridden. Very high lateral strength and rock solid power transfer." I thought I invented it myself, drawing patterns on paper while watching TV one night, then I found it on his site.

On the at-first-glance-cheapo front caliper, Sheldon Brown says, "The best value in Shimano's current line of road brakes." I got them for $50 for the pair off ebay. I've got another lever, and the 39t Ultegra ring in case I want to set the bike up for flip-flop, uphill and downhill capable riding. Now it's a manly 53:19 gear.

Finally, giant kudos must go out to Mean Todd at WebCyclery.com. It took three or four emails to get my order straight, more than one twist and turn to get my payment straight, and when he sent me 16 out of 64 spokes in the wrong length, he sent the correct ones out immediately, before I returned the ones that were too long. All this for a decent discount under list price! Best shop on the web I say. Thanks buddy!!!

The Ultimate Niche

nice

mmmmmmmm....ibis. Awesome!!!! Ibis frame, profile bsc fork DAMN I WANT ONE TOO! I agree with the Tiagra brakes...as someone once said "why pay a lot of money for something that just slows you down"...makes sense if you think about it, though XTR brakes are cool!! Kudos bro! I'm sure Ernesto's dad would be proud...

mtbr member

North Korean ball grab

awesome bike dood! For that, I give you the North Korean ball grab = the sign of friendship.
    The spork on the bike roooocks!
    I am thinking another Pacer to keep as a backup, or to make into a clone of what I already have, but fixie.

mtbr member
    How's it ride? Looks real nice! Always wanted a Sonoma.

dd..''

Medium?

Re: how's it ride

Like butta...

Seriously, it's the smoothest roadie I've ever tried.

34N 118W

Good job! rad!

"nice bike - that looks expensive. How much did that cost ya?"

-doing my best weirdo-on-the-train impression.

bars & fork review please.

HW

Medium?

Ok

The bars are stiff, if you like that sort of thing. After 17 years of full-time kumpyooterin, my arms don't. I kinda wish I had some overpriced carbon ones. Potential future upgrade. They are a skinch heavy too, especially with the beefy lever perched way out there. The price was right in any case. I've got another set that's 40cm, with a 2cm (I think) drop. They can be yours for shipping and beer money.

The fork is uber light, forgiving, and I haven't noticed it much, so it must be good. The only issue I have with it is that they include an expansion thingee so you don't cram a star nut down the carbon steerer. That thingee sucks. It's hard to get proper tension on the headset, and it's slipped twice to where I had to retension the whole shebang. If it works this time, my problem will be solved, but...

pewpewpew Moderator
    Very nice Eddy, congrats and have lots of fun with your new bike!

Bikes not Bombs.....

Thank you from Nor Cal....

It is nice to see a good frame put to good use. Ibis frames are very sweet and you did this one justice.....

Many happy miles are in your future. Enjoy the creation of your doing....

JS
    [SIZE=2]Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... [/SIZE] -