Mojo0115
    Nov 2004

Ibis Easter Trail

Amber and I took of for a 4 day weekend in Moab over the Easter Weekend. Saturday we headed out to do Gold Bar Single Track across to Portal and turn around there to do Gold Bar as an out and back.

Here are some pictures of the trail. I love this trail. All shots are steeper than they look.

IMG_2335.JPG

IMG_2337.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

IMG_2351.JPG

IMG_2353.JPG

Unfortunately, I had a cold develop nicely the day before and on the trail and Amber banged her knee and ankle up pretty badly on an endo on the trail so we didn't/couldn't ride the next day which was a shame but it was still a great weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Pretty sweet trail and riding - these kinds of accidents happen, hope she didnt hurt herself.

Sean, you really make me want to go to Moab... If it wasnt quite so far...

Hoping for warmer weather,

Jever

boba
    Dec 2007

Great Easter Weekend Ride

Great shots Sean and Amber...and in shirtsleeves yet. Must be nice to be in warm sunshine! We had two rides this weekend...both with Sunshine above us and with bits of snow on the trails.

bob..Vancouver Island.

Very nice! Thanks for the preview, I'll be negotiating those very same trails this coming weekend.

Sorry you guys missed a day but it looks like a fun weekend!

Ed

MTB Monkey
    Love Gold Bar Rim. I have not done it in about 10 years. Is it still as difficult to find the route, or have they added a few more rock piles?

And you gotta do the Portal, just walk a few parts.

- J

Grams Light Bikes
    Sorry to hear you had the crud Sean. It was nice meeting you and Amber down at Pueblo South Shore. Whats with that accent?

Amazing how the weather in Colorado can change. Snowed Saturday night and today its about 70! Getting to ride back up on some of my foothill trails in Monument (around 7800 feet elevation)

I almost always did Gold Bar as a out and back. I was to lazy to do the dirt road so I would drive almost to where the slick rock starts. And there are plenty of times I have just played on the practice loop, doing multiple laps again and again. Never many people on the practice loop.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefe74
    Love Gold Bar Rim. I have not done it in about 10 years. Is it still as difficult to find the route, or have they added a few more rock piles?

And you gotta do the Portal, just walk a few parts.

- J
    Gold bar is much easier to find than it used to be. The cairns are actually in the right places and there is Blue Paint Dots along the way now as well. It is actually pretty hard to get lost onto the jeep trail now.

Combine it with the blue dot single track that runs parallel to the jeep trail up to the rim and you have a great (world class in my opinion) trail!

I do Portal as a part of Poison Spider since I can loop it easier and have done it a handful of times and it still spooks me! For some reason "death on the left" affects me way more than "death on the right".

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet
    Sorry to hear you had the crud Sean. It was nice meeting you and Amber down at Pueblo South Shore. Whats with that accent?

Amazing how the weather in Colorado can change. Snowed Saturday night and today its about 70! Getting to ride back up on some of my foothill trails in Monument (around 7800 feet elevation)

I almost always did Gold Bar as a out and back. I was to lazy to do the dirt road so I would drive almost to where the slick rock starts. And there are plenty of times I have just played on the practice loop, doing multiple laps again and again. Never many people on the practice loop.
    Heh, it is an Australian accent (well actually, born in new zealand but lived most of my life in Queensland, Australia).

You didn't look lazy when we met at Pueblo! I am the same, we never ride the Gemini Bridges Rd up to Gold Bar due to laziness and traffic and our dog.

mtbr member
    Great pics!!...Heading out there the 10th of April for 3 days of sweet riding..all as of now about 15 people..how cold was it?...never been on that trail looks very cool ...will have to try it and send pics ....we go two times a year and a trip to fruita as well..let me know and we will hook up...
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz
    Great pics!!...Heading out there the 10th of April for 3 days of sweet riding..all as of now about 15 people..how cold was it?...never been on that trail looks very cool ...will have to try it and send pics ....we go two times a year and a trip to fruita as well..let me know and we will hook up...
    Temperatures were absolutely perfect. Sunny and in 60's most of the day. It tipped up into low 70's part of the day but not for long. I even got sun burnt for the first time this year.

At this time of the year I try to get to Moab as much as possible and it is only the evils of work or weather in the mountains that stops me. So it is highly likely if any other Ibis riders are in Moab in April that I will be there as well!

www.derbyrims.com
    World Class riding for sure! Riders from round the world come to ride Moab. On weekdays in prime seasons it seems that half the riders are speaking with accent or another language

Thanks for the great pix! Amber is so talented! Gold Bar is one I've never done. The best view of Moab at the top and start of Portal Trail descent is my motivation pushing past all the sand of Poison Spider. I must hike down at least 1/3'd of Portal it's so spooky and sketchy. Not a place to catch a pedal!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Very niiiiiice!!! It looks so majestic!!!!! What is the best time of the year to go to Moab? I'm getting some ideas! Thanks for those awesome pictures!!!!!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo1034
    Very niiiiiice!!! It looks so majestic!!!!! What is the best time of the year to go to Moab? I'm getting some ideas! Thanks for those awesome pictures!!!!!
    I think that the best time is sept-oct as you have guaranteed access to the riding up in and out of the La Sals. You also have the advantage of a full summer of riding before you arrive. Extra leg strength always makes a road trip even better.

I personally alway love Moab in the spring after a long winter of wishing that the snow was gone. It also is awesome get into shape riding for the coming summer in the mountains.

But my favorite time is definitely the heart of winter - the trails are empty, the town has a small town feel with just locals and other moab-loving fanatics as the only people there. The temperatures are cool and the sand is hard packed instead of loose and energy sapping. Oh and the hotel rooms in winter are $25-$45 a night.

How can you go wrong? Just avoid the heat of summer!

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Love the riding shots......I'll never get sick of seeing 'em.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hi There Amber & Sean!

Gr8 Pic's really like your blogspot. Waiting for my Ibis Mojo SL to arrive in the next few weeks in sunny "Olde England"

Sean how do you find your Maverick Seat post? broken many nipples.....

Matt Scott

Pics ASAP