mtbr member

Ibis Branded Hubs - Lateral Play

I have the Ibis Branded hubs on my SL-R and the front wheel (15mm axle) has developed a little bit of lateral play, kind of like the cones need to be adjusted. Except, I don't think these are adjustable. Has anybody run into this on these hubs? I assume I can push in new bearings and that will get rid of the play? Has anybody sourced replacement bearings for this front hub? I tried to tighten up the axle as much as possible, while still being realistic and this didn't seem to have any effect on the lateral play.

mtbr member
    One more try to get some help here. I pulled out my 15mm end caps and was hoping to be able to "drift" out the bearings from the opposite side of the hub. However, there is a rotating piece/dust cover that is outside of the bearings on both sides that I cannot figure out how to remove. I tried to get a drift in at the hub shell/bearing interface, but there wasn't enough room to get a substantial impact force to unseat the bearings.

Any help would be appreciated. I have a Gooseberry Mesa trip coming up in T minus 10 days and I am really hoping to get this figured out before then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Go to your LBS, with a trip coming up you can't afford to f around. Heres the deal, all the money you spent for that sweet bike went into the best frame design on the planet. Now that you are wearing stuff out, treat the bike and yourself to some candy. I went with DT 240, you will never need another hub again.

mtbr member
    You try and gently slide hammer the bearing out? Can you get a small id bearing puller in?

small jhook attachment on a slidehammer. Like a pilot bearing puller for a car.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlux View Post
    You try and gently slide hammer the bearing out? Can you get a small id bearing puller in?

small jhook attachment on a slidehammer. Like a pilot bearing puller for a car.
    Ultimately that's what worked. My LBS had a slide-hammer with two little fingers that we were able to use to pull out the bearings and the "cap." Even with that instrument, it was a pain the butt. The insertion of the new bearings was easier with my homemade headset press. Just a threaded rod with an assortment of washers and sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by dfaith View Post
    Go to your LBS, with a trip coming up you can't afford to f around. Heres the deal, all the money you spent for that sweet bike went into the best frame design on the planet. Now that you are wearing stuff out, treat the bike and yourself to some candy. I went with DT 240, you will never need another hub again.
    A new hub was certainly plan B. I figured if I was ok with replacing the hub, I might as well get aggressive with it to see if I could get the bearings out. Voila! Now she spins well and has no lateral play anymore.