mtbr member
    May 2007

Ibis Bow Ti Shock (rear and fork) advice please.

Noob here with an old bow ti. My Alps 5R is finally dead bleeding oil all over my bike and dampless. There must be something better by now. Any specific recommendations for replacement?

Also, still running a Judy SL. I would not mind tweaking my front end too.

I am 45 years old, 5'9" 185 lbs and ride mostly single track. Propedal or lockout would be nice. Light, adjustable, reliable, you know, something light as a feather but bombproof.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by spyderknut; 05-15-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: need to broaden my title to cover front and rear suspension

mtbr member
    i'm not sure what length or stroke the bow ti needs but i was cruising ebay and found this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Fox-Alps-5-rear-...QQcmdZViewItem

If you want to keep the Judy SL, you can purchase Englund Air Catridges (I think MRP carries them now) OR upgrade to a Reba.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks Flipn

Eye to eye looks like 6.5" on my shock. I would rather have something newer than replacing the 5R. Something that will return the plushness but allow me to ride to trails on the road without bouncing all over (though if I concentrate on spinning, I don't bounce much now).

mtbr member
    I talked to Castilano about replacing my BowTi shock once, and he recommended an Fox Ava (a float with a large volume adjuster on it), and he even had some in stocked back then. Any 6.5", 1.5" stroke shock will work, but you might give the original designer a call to see what he recommends in the current line of shocks. He said the larger volume on the AVA was better for the BowTi geometry.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Update

Thank you itsdoable

I called John at the number listed on the new Ibis website. He answered! Fox Float RP23 is the current recommendation. John keeps them in stock and sells for under list. What great service.

Also, John mentioned retrofitting bow-tis and silk-tis with disc mounts for $400 which includes a frame overhaul.

Upgraditis.

mtbr member
    Good to hear, the last time I had my Alps-5 rebuilt, they said parts were limited, and I might need an upgrade soon.

Several years ago. I inquired about getting disc tabs added and an eBB retrofitted, John did not have access to welding yet, and he referred me to Carl Strong. I used a Brake Therapy adapter for a while, then I ghettoed this disc mount / SS setup, which I'm still using.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yeah, I had called Fox first. They said they no longer service the Alps 5R.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I swapped a couple fo emails with Castellano on exactly the same question a year or more ago for my BowTi and he was testing an Fox RP3 shock for them at the time and recommended it.

So I fitted one and have barely touched it since. Works a treat and usually use it in the standard middle point setting, that way it still continues to work but is stiffer when I need it (out the saddle etc.).

As for rear disk brakes I buse the woodman torsion bar bits only I actually ended up using a custom made torsion bar, has been working fine for well over 18 months now and the only real pain is punctures. Keep thinking about sending it to Steve Potts to have tabs added. One day.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    What are you folks running on the front end? I am thinking about getting a Fox F80 variant -- either the RLC or X.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Being in England I'm running with some carbon Pace Rc36's, these are 100mm ones.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    John Castellano advised to stay away from forks with travel longer than 80 mm. Any negatives to riding with a 100 mm fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    nah 100 mm aint so different and you just get used to it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for TyPin a reply!

Advantages vs disadvantages of 80 vs 100 mm fork on a bow-ti?

I am gonna redo both ends. I have my RP23 already. I am thinking of a Fox F 80 vs 100 and X vs RLC. Any other forks I should consider? If not, which Fox should I get?

I am currently riding on a Judy SL. It is ok but I am looking for something more plush on the trail but more efficient on roads out to trails.

I ride mostly rooty single track with occasional logs across the trails and little in the way of big drops or jumps. I weigh 185 lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    my only advice is to make sure you set yer shock and forks with roughly equal sag front and back. I hope you ride it lots. I use my 2 or 3 times a week and still love it.

My own dilema is considering adding disk tabs (running with a torsion bar currently), but there's nobody here in the UK I would trust to do the work and Steve Potts lives a long way away!! ha!!

mtbr member
    I try to keep the fork short, <80mm if possible, I find the front end somewhat slack to start off with - nothing too bad though, you can get use to it. I liked it with a SID XC. I had a 80mm Fox with a Stratos Inertial valve (ID) installed, and that worked very well, but it borrowed by another ride... I've also had a 70mm Z2 on it, and that was good.

I had both the Woodman and the Brake Therapy disc adapters on it, and I like the Woodman better, wheel removals were simpler (I modded a Shimano hub). Both work well. I'll get disc tabs added one day... that's what I tell myself.