mtbr member

Ibis Bandwagon...

I am looking for my next bike and had narrowed it down to a Ellsworth Epi and a Titus Motolite but after lurking around I found myself looking into Ibis. WOW!!! I am already setting up the savings in the budget and hope to order one this spring (Mojo SL). Couple of questions: Are there any complaints on the integrated headset? I have one on Jamis XLT, while it is ok, I would rather have a smooth-as-silk Chris King. I know you can not compare Jamis to Ibis but there are only (2) companies that I know of that make integrated headsets (WTB, and Cane Creek). I ride aggresive XC with 3-4 foot (max) drops on rocky ground and I am still nervous on the abuse the carbon and paint can take when falling on rocks. I do like the 2008 ruberized paint but will it really keep the carbon from chipping? I know, paint will chip too....but there is aluminum and/or steel under paint. Last but not least...what are the main differences between the Mojo and the Mojo SL. Quite a bit of weight savings but what else (must justify the added expense). Does anyone have any comparisons to the Ellsworth Epi? It seems it is now down to (2) with Ibis pulling WAY ahead. I have an opportunity to demo the Epi but I do not think there are any Ibis dealers around that have a demo. This is by far the best looking bike I have ever seen.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Sounds like I ride very similar to you. I have been riding my Naked Carbon Mojo since October of 2006 and have had plenty of minor and major crashes. The frame is in great shape and nothing has gotten through the 3mm clear tape I applied to exposed areas or the clear coat.

I think there have been some good comparisons of the Epi to the Mojo in some older posts try (if you haven't already) a search on Ellsworth just in the Ibis forum.

Slovakia (Europe)

Integrated headsets

Plus FSA http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=23303
    and HOPE
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=18083.
    I thinks I'll go with Hope because of spit crown race.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Cane Creek Solos Integrated was my choice and so far I like it even compared to Chris King which I have on all my other bikes.

mtbr member
    if u like doing 3-4 foot drops and stuff, curious why u want the SL vs the regular mojo? my components are not light and i do similar type of riding (small jumps and drops)...i'd feel scared having all light stuff if that's what you like to do. i had the same concern about integrated headsets, and carbon, etc. king will trash them, but it's probably because they don't make them. haha.

i've bit it on the mojo a bunch...some 3 ft bails, and all sorts hits into the ground (it's mountain biking after all, it's going to happen) and not a scratch probably due to BONK all over the underside.

but you're right, it's a sweet bike. after riding it compared to other bikes, it was a world of difference.

mtbr member
    Well that was one of my thoughts for going with the Mojo as compared to the SL but if the SL is a much better bike and it will jump and handle the abuse then why not? Most of my components are not that light (XT build, DT EX5.1 wheels, Hope ProII Hubs, Gravity Dropper seat post, Juicy 7's, etc) so my idea was to save some weight on the frame if it was as strong as the regular Mojo. I am still open to suggestions on which frame to choose. I love technical climbs as well as small drops so any weight savings could not hurt on the climbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdeardorf
    Well that was one of my thoughts for going with the Mojo as compared to the SL but if the SL is a much better bike and it will jump and handle the abuse then why not? Most of my components are not that light (XT build, DT EX5.1 wheels, Hope ProII Hubs, Gravity Dropper seat post, Juicy 7's, etc) so my idea was to save some weight on the frame if it was as strong as the regular Mojo. I am still open to suggestions on which frame to choose. I love technical climbs as well as small drops so any weight savings could not hurt on the climbing.
    There is really a half pound and change difference between the Mojo and the SL naked frames (do a search for the precise numbers from hansc, some of the savings between the complete frames are shock and bolts) and I suspect that the SL is at least as strong as the regular Mojo. If I could do it again I would buy the Mojo SL but with a Fox RP23 or or DHX air (not the DT ,thank you very much) ...but you really cannot go wrong with either, and 250 grams is frankly of very little significnace on the trail

mtbr member
    But is the SL as strong as the Std ? I would assume the SL would be like the Turner Nitrous ... light weight racers only with a weight limit... and the Standard one the bomb proof version of the SL . would make more sense to do that. But if it is not, then WOW.. that is a huge engineering achievement to get the frame that weight and still be as strong and durable as the standard Mojo.

mtbr member

Just to make things simple

Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP
    But is the SL as strong as the Std ? I would assume the SL would be like the Turner Nitrous ... light weight racers only with a weight limit... and the Standard one the bomb proof version of the SL . would make more sense to do that. But if it is not, then WOW.. that is a huge engineering achievement to get the frame that weight and still be as strong and durable as the standard Mojo.
    I digged out the "official" reply by hanscc and the naked frame is 130 grams lighter, the rest is due to the differences in varius stuff listed below that has nothing to do with the frame and will not influence strength ... you can save almost 100 just by using the titanium bolts/SL seat binder and the lower link (that is probably standard on the Mojo 2008). As Hans says, carbon molding and high-modulus carbon (who knows what Gpa they use on the SL, and I have no idea if the use 3K or 6K or 12K carbon) is responsible to save the 130: due to the high-modulus carbon if anything the SL might be stronger then the standard ... certanly not a race-day only Nitrous

Hi Guys,

Just finished unloading the truck from IB and we're putting things away and following up on the most urgent stuff...

Regarding the breakdown, Pasta Jet is sounding pretty right on. The frame is under 5 lbs with the fixed binder and the Ti forward shock pin. Neither of those were on the ones at the show, but I got the Ti shock pins in today, very nice...

There is also another 12 g or so taken out of the lower link and that was not on the show bike, so it's actually going to go a bit lower perhaps.

The frame itself is about 130 g less due to the ultra high modulus fiber and the details like compression molded drops, head cups and woven CF seat tube insert and main pivot tube.

Then there are 6-4 Ti fasteners on the 4 M8 upper link bolts, the M8 x 60 rear shock eyelet bolt and a couple of other small ones.

The shock is about 60 g lighter with hardware taken into account.

The seat binder change is about 47 g

A medium painted Mojo weighs about 5.875 lbs, the medium SL painted is about 4.9 lbs + - so it can be almost a pound difference.

They ride the same other than the rear shock feel. It costs about $500 more so I wouldn't stress about Mojo vs SL unless your goal is to build a hellishly light bike and it's within the budget, then it makes sense. Otherwise, I think the Mojo with XT or SX kit gets you there

You could also do everything except the 130 g that are in the frame by upgrading the hardware etc. We will put all that stuff on the e-com site in the near future at reasonable prices, so if you are putting your Mojo on a diet, you can bring it down close to the SL.

OK, back to the giant pile of stuff in the middle of the shop...

Take care,
    Hans

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

SL stronger and more ding resistant than classic

Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP
    I think with the Uhm carbon mix of about 37% in front and rear making sl @ 5% stiffer plus the rubber paint stuff (someone posted a video of how that stuff actually increases strength a lil) ; would make the sl slightly stronger, but I imagine the tensile strength of super high modulus is allready pretty far above any steel or super thin alum it doesn't much make a difference between the 2. I would say the major difference between the 2 is the PU paint's incredible major ding resistance.
    Plus, if you order with a rp23 that's only an increase in price of 300 dollars over standard moj. Cost per dollar value puts it WAY ahead of anything in it's class such as epi or fuel ex 9.0 frame when u calc a simple weigth/per travel/per cost ratio. Just be ready for wait times if you order anything beyond naked carbon clear pu.

mtbr member
    Does the 2008 Mojo have the rubberized paint or is it just the SL? I will get the RP23 on either bike so that part I have decided on.

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    Rubberized paint is only on the SL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Check out what the Epiphany owners had to say about Ellsworth's CS. It seem the bikes are breaking, & these riders are missing out on the riding season because Ellsworth is taking so long to deal with them. I've read some up to four months, if it gets done at all Ibis had me back on my Silk in two weeks after it got damaged in a head on bike crash with another biker. Go MOJO!

mtbr member
    Leaning towards Mojo SL with RP23 in Matte Clear with red accents. I have been reading lots of complaints about Ellsworth CS. I think that is why Competitive Cyclist no longer carry their bikes.
    Last edited by bdeardorf; 01-17-2008 at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

oops

xxxx
    Last edited by mx_599; 01-18-2008 at 07:01 PM. Reason: mistake, ignore. too bad you can't delete posts