Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ibis is Back?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

No good Ibis is Back?

Sad to hear it. Their customer service made me so bitter back in 2000 I was happy to hear them fold it up and I am still pissed.

They sold me a Mojo with a crap head tube weld that broke. When I asked them to look at it they accused me of driving into a garage with it on a bike rack. I did not even own a car!

Funny thing ... I am a metallurgist and the weld was bad.

inner peace to make peace
    wow really?! was going to buy a Mojo Steel back then. glad I went with Kona Lavadome, which was dirt cheap in comparison. still riding that same Lavadome which is about to receive some bling bling upgrades as soon as I make up my overthinking mind.
    this is the first time i've heard something disparaging about Ibis.
    I have no intrest in a cabon fs bike (yet), but I'd gladly snap up an Ibis mtb or road frame that''ll fit
    Last edited by TrailNut; 10-24-2006 at 02:26 PM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Believe it...

Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    wow really?! was going to buy a Mojo Steel back then. glad I went with Kona Lavadome, which was dirt cheap in comparison. still riding that same Lavadome which is about to receive some bling bling upgrades as soon as I make up my overthinking mind.
    this is the first time i'vwe heard something disparaging about Ibis.
    I have no intrest in a cabon fs bike (yet)
    I can't comment on their current service - besides noticing all of the people in this forum who don't have their bike yet, but previously they were quite difficult.

The bike was nice until the break though. It was the a similar smurf blue to the one in the video on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by barbosa
    I can't comment on their current service - besides noticing all of the people in this forum who don't have their bike yet, but previously they were quite difficult.

The bike was nice until the break though. It was the a similar smurf blue to the one in the video on MTBR.
    You must've been in a coma for the past year if you just found out Ibis is back.

You have 100 satisfied riders and not much noise is made. You have one unhappy rider and enough noise is made you would think 100 riders were wronged. It's this way in every sector of business.

Glad my early 90's Mojo and the Silk Ti are still ticking like new, and how Ibis answers the phone each time I called with questions about the carbon mojo (which arrived one day sooner than I was told).

Taking pride out of a company going out of business, for whatever reason, and then lamenting about it on a board is a sad way to live your life. Do you get angry when you see that a former high school cheerleader classmate didn't gain weight and get divorced because they wouldn't go out with you to the Sadie Hawkins dance?

Wait a minute! Your first two posts ever on mtbr.com is on the Ibis forum flaming away?? Do you work for Specialized??
    Last edited by danK; 10-24-2006 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Nope...

...just someone who paid $900 bucks for a frame that broke due to a construction flaw only to get screwed by a cocky customer service person at Ibis. Thanks for all of the personal attacks though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Might have been after Scot sold it to the douche bag that ran it (and the name) into the ground. Obviously he didn't care much about the customers or even the people who welded his frames (various builders such as Strong getting screwed out aof a lot of money). Since Scot is now involved with the name expect good things out of Ibis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by barbosa
    ...just someone who paid $900 bucks for a frame that broke due to a construction flaw only to get screwed by a cocky customer service person at Ibis. Thanks for all of the personal attacks though.
    Nope, no personal attacks. You are a newbie whose first posts on mtbr.com are in the Ibis forum badmouthing a company about an incident we have no history of. And does it matter? The new Ibis vs the old ibis vs the real old Ibis. It's like you waited and waited and waited, setting a reminder on every search engine to email you when "ibis is back" popped up just so you can badmouth them. Classy.

Wonder what that cocky customer service person's recollection of the years' old incident is based on your sunshine-filled demeanor?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Good job!

Barbosa,
    You caught Ibis at a bad time, which is really too bad. I sold the company in 2000 to a group of investors, led by a couple of guys who had no prior experience in the bike industry (they were from Biotech). I had it for 20 years and they had it for 20 months until they declared Chapter 7. Not chapter 11, Chapter 7.
    You're not the only one who had a bad experience. I've heard from a couple of other people about bad customer service around that time, and I personally could tell more stories than any of you would care to hear. But I'm going to refrain.
    I can assure you that the new team we have in place won't let something like that happen. Hans has been in the industry as long as I have, and Tom nearly as long. We want to run a fair and honest business. It's a small industry, and when you don't treat people right, it will usually come back to haunt you.
    I'll give you an example of how we are doing business. The new Mojo could have been priced at double what is is and still we would be backordered. But we did not want to do business that way. We want to build bikes that any of the partners (average folk) would buy when we walk into a bike shop. We didn't want it to be astronomical in price and only in the realm of a Doctor or Lawyer's salary. So that's what we did. How can we price it low? None of us are taking a salary or any money out of the company. We're 100% self-financed. We want to grow the company slowly and in a way that works for us. We never want to see the kind of reaction to our company like you had to "Ibis Old" (as danK said).
    So far so good. Again, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. We're going to do everything we can to make sure no one ever has that happen with our company.
    DanK and User666 thanks for the support.

--Scot
    Last edited by Scot Nicol; 10-24-2006 at 07:24 PM.

TelemarkTumalo
    Barbosa,

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience before, but bear with me while I tell you about my personal experiences with "the NEW Ibis". I purchased an Ibis Silk Carbon last April through River City Bikes in Portland. Like many of you, I waited rather impatiently for it to arrive. When it did, I was thoroughly impressed with the bike and then the follow up by River City (a great shop), and both Tom and Scott at Ibis. The shop noticed that the rear wheel wasn't perfectly centered and contacted Ibis. Tom worked with River City to remedy the problem and Tom called me personally to let me know that I should contact him with any other problems or issues that might arise, and Ibis would do whatever it took to make things right. Both Scot and Tom have responded to my emails quickly and with a "can do" attitude. Try getting that kind of communication from Trek or Specialized! Anyway, I can only tell you that whatever experience you've had in the past is likely historical. I think you'll find the folks currently at Ibis will stand behind their bikes with honestly and responsibly.

mtbr member
    I love the fact I called Ibis and the person who picked up the phone (I think it was Tom, he was an extremely tall clydesdale) talked with me for almost 20 minutes and answered all sorts of detailed questions. It was like calling my LBS. That impressed me.

My Mojo should be in my sweaty hands by late next week. I cannot WAIT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    what ever you do, don't let those "dark years" of Ibis bad taste in your mouth, "Investors" rearely care for much more than the bottom line. It's too bad the "pre-sale" Ibis web site isn't still up and running because you would find some very favorable customer support at worK. I've had the pleasure of owning and riding several dozen Ibis rides over the years. Not a one has had a manufacturer flaw and none of my Complete Ibis Ti collection does either. It amazesme they can build such a sweet ride for the price when my Bow-ti frame retailed for $4k+. If it weren't for Scot being involved, I wouldn't have put my order in and been waiting since interbike 2005 for my new carbon mojo that will join my Ibis stables...rest assured, you are in good hands and so are the Ibis dealers ( or else I would have had my carbon mojo by now ;-) Read the reviews, do some research and test a new mojo. The cult continues.....

mtbr member
    I just think it's amazing how 3 of the 4 Ibis team members actively participate on this forum. I think it says a lot about their operation. (We'll forgive Roxy because she's probably busy fending off the guys.)

It definitely played a factor when it came to choosing my Mojo. I'm also in the market for a new roadbike and you can be sure the Silk is near the top of the list.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well Barbosa? What do you say to all that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kidsuma
    Well Barbosa? What do you say to all that?
    He's like (say in Captain Kirk voice), "Can't....let....go....of....residual....anger....f rom....six....years ago. I just caaaaan't." Kidding. I can empathize with what happened to you with the "other" Ibis.

It's like my dad still talking smack about BMW and how they are all total junk....because he owned a 1978 530 with faulty electrical. Granted, BMW no longer uses the same electrical system/vendor, but my father will always think they do and will always bad mouth BMW because of it, and he does not miss an opportunity to tell anyone about it.
    Last edited by danK; 10-25-2006 at 08:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey Guys, aren't you being a bit hard on Barbosa? The fact is that Ibis did have some bad years after the sale, and Barbosa was unfortunately affected by that. It is possible that he didn't know the details about the death and re-birth of Ibis and is simply stating his experience. Let's not have a witch-hunt mentality here. I associate the new Ibis with a good sense of humor and a classy operation.

I'm also glad that the Old poorly run Ibis went under. If not, we wouldn't have the opportunity to see Scot et al back in the game and the magic of the Mojo. The real Ibis is back and with that comes customer service, quality and spirit.
    Last edited by MJ51; 10-25-2006 at 08:29 AM.

mojo mofo

ramblings

As konaken said (so will it be ibisken soon?), it is awesome to see that the Ibis crew are in touch with their customers directly even when we're heaping something other than praise on their company. My mom sold her restaurant 10 years ago and I still hear about bad service that friends are getting there, so I can just imagine how tough it would be to buy it back and win them back. Plus, I think its a little harder to make a good frame than a bowl of soup.

I'm waiting for my Mojo here in Canada (Edmonton, Alberta), no we don't live in Igloos and yes we do have some of the best trails around. If you ever get the chance, come up to Banff (which is about 3 hours south of us) and ride the lake Minnewanka trail, it is spectacular. If you like that hours of glorious singletrack thing, oh and I guess there's some scenery too, although you'll be too busy hypnotized with speed to see any of it. I hear bears don't like to chew on carbon, so get a Mojo.

My point is, after reading Scot's post I feel a little less impatient. Wow, that was a lot of jabber for a one sentence point. And there's more ...

btw, If anyone here is looking for wheels, I suggest giving Dave at SpeedDreams a call. A friend of mine reccomended his wheels after reading the tons of seemingly impossibly positive reviews on MTBR, so I gave him a call. He won't build wheels for you unless you call him and tell him what you're about; how much you weigh, how you ride, how much you care about bling and so on. The wheels arrived as promised and I can't wait to strap them to my carbon steed.

p.s. I'm one of those design types, so in case Roxy reads these when Scot isn't cracking the whip, thank you for bringing good design (which is not decoration) to the mtb world. Hearing that Ibis had the smarts to hire a real designer was the final reason that I called my 'not so' LBS and plunked down the deposit.

go ride.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the forum talkshow-host,

I'm also from Alberta - Calgary to be exact. It's only been a month since I ordered my small Mojo but I'm in no hurry since I'm still collecting the components. My bike shop seems just as excitied to get this frame as I am.

Hmm... I should go visit them one of these days. Maybe it's hanging in their front window as we speak.

Oh yeah, you'll know when I get it 'cause my username will switch to CarbonKen or KarbonKen. Hahaha !

mojo mofo

Good job!

thanks for the welcome konaken, you should give your LBS a call see if they know whether your frame is one of the 80 that just hit out shores.

banned

Those incosiderate aholes at Ibis!

In 1996 I found a hair-thin crack at a weld on the seat tube of my ti Mojo.

I drove it by in the morning, made a bunch of sales calls in the area, and it was fixed and ready to take home by 2 pm.

Aholes I tell you!

Dave Peoples and David Halstert didn't know how to take care of a customer dammit!

(sarcasm off)

the train keeps rollin

Yeah, and if you sell again??

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Nicol
    Barbosa,
    You caught Ibis at a bad time, which is really too bad. I sold the company in 2000 to a group of investors, led by a couple of guys who had no prior experience in the bike industry (they were from Biotech). I had it for 20 years and they had it for 20 months until they declared Chapter 7. Not chapter 11, Chapter 7.--Scot
    Scot,, I've always been a fan of your bikes, was sad to see Ibis fold.. Wishing Klein would now fold with their lame offerings

From your quote above, why the hell would you sell your Baby to a couple people with absolutely no bike business history?

Your new frame is priced right Hoping you will keep up this type of offering, and it's not just some goodwill to get faith back, then jack up the price

mtbr member
    what did ibis do to get your rear wheel centered in the silk frame?

TelemarkTumalo

Ibis follow-up/follow-through

Quote Originally Posted by miles wadsworth
    what did ibis do to get your rear wheel centered in the silk frame?
    The folks at River City shaved a bit of carbon fiber from the medial side of the left dropout and countersunk the screws on the derailleur hanger. The wheel did not have to be redished. Further, Tom at Ibis followed up with the River City mechanics as well as myself to make sure that all was good. No problems after 6,000 miles of fine riding.

mtbr member

New Ibis is Tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Nicol
    Barbosa,
    You caught Ibis at a bad time, which is really too bad. I sold the company in 2000 to a group of investors, led by a couple of guys who had no prior experience in the bike industry (they were from Biotech). I had it for 20 years and they had it for 20 months until they declared Chapter 7. Not chapter 11, Chapter 7.
    You're not the only one who had a bad experience. I've heard from a couple of other people about bad customer service around that time, and I personally could tell more stories than any of you would care to hear. But I'm going to refrain.
    I can assure you that the new team we have in place won't let something like that happen. Hans has been in the industry as long as I have, and Tom nearly as long. We want to run a fair and honest business. It's a small industry, and when you don't treat people right, it will usually come back to haunt you.
    I'll give you an example of how we are doing business. The new Mojo could have been priced at double what is is and still we would be backordered. But we did not want to do business that way. We want to build bikes that any of the partners (average folk) would buy when we walk into a bike shop. We didn't want it to be astronomical in price and only in the realm of a Doctor or Lawyer's salary. So that's what we did. How can we price it low? None of us are taking a salary or any money out of the company. We're 100% self-financed. We want to grow the company slowly and in a way that works for us. We never want to see the kind of reaction to our company like you had to "Ibis Old" (as danK said).
    So far so good. Again, I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. We're going to do everything we can to make sure no one ever has that happen with our company.
    DanK and User666 thanks for the support.

--Scot
    I can say that Scot, Tom and Hans are nothing but the best in customer service. If you have any problems or questions I suggest you call and talk with them. Excellent guys and 100% behind there product.
    -----------------------
    The world's only compatible bike builder
    [SIZE=3]wrenchscience[/SIZE]

Grams Light Bikes
    I got one of the first couple of frames that went out to the general public and had a slight warranty issue with my carbon Mojo. Scott and Tom took care of me with wonderful attention and courtesy. Fast emails and great personal conversations on the phone made it a pleasant experience. Customer service to the Max! I just want to acknowledge the Ibis team and especially Scott and Tom for a great product and beyond the call of duty service. They truly care about not only the product but about their integrity. Thanks.

Brian

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Wink

Jeez, all the personal attacks, Barbosa must not be the only one with something bottled up....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast