Thread: I want my mojo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I want my mojo!

Hi Ibis lovers! This is my first post on this forum so be gentle!

My new carbon Mojo should be with me in the next few days.

I have owned a Kona Coiler for the past couple of years (my first 'proper' mountain bike). I have decided that I am more suited to a lighter all-mountain bike. The Mojo looks perfect.

I am far from an expert, so left the build up to the bike shop. Here is the final build spec:-

Ibis Mojo XL Carbon
    Fox Float RP23 shock
    Rockshox Lyrik '07 2-step air fork
    Cane Creek Solos Integrated headset
    Thomson Elite 100x5 stem
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    Easton Carbon CNT SL Low Rise 25.4mm bars
    Fizik Aliante Carbon saddle
    Sram X.0 shifters
    Sram X.O Carbon Medium Cage mech
    Avid Juicy Ultimate brakes
    Chris King front / rear hubs
    DT 5.1 rims
    Race Face Atlas cranks
    Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tyres
    Burgtec Penthouse Flats Snow Camo pedals

Are there any glaring mistakes? Have they come up with a good spec for a Mojo build?

I guess this build is quite a lot different than some Mojos. I haven't seen any other Mojo's on the forum with the Lyrik fork - does anyone have experience of this?

Also I have seen quite a few XTR specced Mojos here. I went for X.O. as I hear this may result in less chain slap? Is this a good choice?

I will probably ebay the Coiler to help pay for this. Been a fun bike - heavily upgraded so hope it will get a good price whenever I get round to selling it:-

http://www.iksmada.com/kona/

I hope I will be as impressed as everyone else seems with the Mojo! It seems to have more positive comments and reviews on this site than any other bike.

BTW, thanks to Ibis for keeping me up-to-date with when the frame would be shipped over - they answered my e-mail within 5 minutes!

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice build. My frame (which should arrive at my doorstep tonight hopefully) will have some of the same components. I'm doing my own build however.

SuperInstigator
    Sounds good. I would probably have put a Marzocchi on rather than the Lyrik, as the Lyrik seems prone to travel loss problems. They probably fixed it for '07 though...

I also would go with a CS headset and probably XT cranks.

It's just fine. It's just a matter of preference between drivetrains, cranks, and fork. It's just what jesus would do!!

Happy Trails,
    Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The reviews of the mojo just seem to get better:-

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Allmtn_F...t_128477.shtml

If I wasn't already sold on the mojo, the "climbs like a billy goat on crack" comment in the top review would do it for me!

Can't wait to hit the trails on it!

Green Mojo

Buildup

I love your buildup. I went with the XTR bike with Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels and I love mine. I will be anxious to hear your opinion and feedback on chain slap issue. I get a little slap and it bothered me a little for the first week of riding, but since then I never notice it. I cannot say enough about my bike. I ride mine pretty much every day - wouldn't change a thing.

Post some pictures and your feedback after you get it.

mtbr member
    I won't micromanage your part picks, but the only thing I would check into is that I think Ibis recommends the long cage derailleur vs. the medium cage. I would just shoot an email to Ibis to ask, since I agree that they are amazingly responsive and helpful.

mtbr member
    Damn I already got a med cage. How critical is this? hans?

SuperInstigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
    Damn I already got a med cage. How critical is this? hans?
    I'll trade you my long cage X.7. I don't know how critical it is that you have a long cage. It depends on how much the suspension affects the drivetrain (I'm not sure the Ibis' suspension even effects it at all) and the chain length, etc...

Brand new!
    Tim
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

mtbr member
    Mine's a brand new X.0 never mounted. I'll just buy a new one and use the medium for another bike if it's absolutely necessary.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm waiting on my frame (should be here in a week). I've gone TALAS, XTR cranks, cassette, front mech. X.0 shifters and rear mech (long). I'd try and swap for a long cage but if you can't just see how it goes, might work out fairly well for you anyway.

Don't know about my brakes. It's a battle between Formula Oro Puro's and Juicy Ultimates. Leaning towards Oro's at the moment but only just.

Your going to enjoy your ride regardless of the cage length.
    Last edited by ocross; 05-23-2007 at 07:33 PM.