mtbr member
    Nov 2008

I should have done this years ago

I did a bit of tinkering with the bike last week,and decided to fit a shorter stem for a bit of experimentation.

From memory, Ibis ship the ready built bikes with a 90 or 100mm stem.

Mine was a home build job, but I had originally fitted a 90mm stem.

I was finding that this made the steering a fraction slow, and reduced the agility of the bike when picking the way through rock gardens, tree roots etc.

So I swapped out the stem for a 70mm unit, and the bike really has come alive. It's far more agile, and gives more confidence and control rolling off ledges etc. Basically it's more flicakble and generally more fun to ride all round.

I was half expecting the climbing to be affected, but it doesn't seem to be. I removed one 5mm spacer under the stem to slightly reduce the bar height to compensate. Plus I generally climb seated on the Ibis.

All up an excellent result, and worth trying to see if it works for you. My feeling that 100mm+ stems belong on Roadies and XC hardtails seems to be confirmed!
    Last edited by herzog; 04-19-2010 at 01:34 AM.

aka dan51
    Your story is EXACTLY the same as mine when I went from 90 to 70. Best change I ever made to the bike regarding handling. 70 seems to be a sweet spot.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Got a couple of questions for you two....What size frame are you riding, how tall are you and what is your arm length? I am thinking about switching to an Ibis and I'd like to know what setup to role with.

Thanks.

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by jtforester
    Got a couple of questions for you two....What size frame are you riding, how tall are you and what is your arm length? I am thinking about switching to an Ibis and I'd like to know what setup to role with.

Thanks.
    Frame: XL
    height: 6'1"
    arm length: no idea
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    5'10 on a medium frame here.

No idea on arm length. Shorter than a silverback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    Your story is EXACTLY the same as mine when I went from 90 to 70. Best change I ever made to the bike regarding handling. 70 seems to be a sweet spot.
    I think you are exactly right with the 70mm sweetspot observation, I have come the other way from a 50mm to a 70. Doesn't descend any worse in fact its probably better. I think it has definitely improved my centre of gravity

mtbr member
    same here, 70mm with bars rolled in towards me. Too bad Ibis can't figure this out and make the TT longer. Even the TT on the new HD is too short. Its kinda ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    same here, 70mm with bars rolled in towards me. Too bad Ibis can't figure this out and make the TT longer. Even the TT on the new HD is too short. Its kinda ridiculous.
    thats a bit strong a word? the Mojo is a work of art!
    Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Kinesis FF29

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" (average arm and leg length) and I roll a 70mm on an XL... couldn't imagine rolling with anything bigger (stem wise).

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    No thanks. lengthening the TT would change the bike. I run a 50mm stem on my Large frame and it is perfect.

Right now my setup is 50mm stem and Deity Dirty 30 handle bars, I wasn't sure about the bar change but so far after one weekend of Moab I don't see going back to narrower bars again. I have been on the 50mm stem for about 18months.

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I guess I should try a shorter stem, but I just know that I will want to have my butt hanging off the back of the seat even more often. It seems to me that you must be running a setback seat post too so the cockpit does not seem so cramp during cross county type riding. Sean, what is the setback on yours? My climbing abilities improved when I got rid of my setback seatpost and I don't want to lose this.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by avam
    I guess I should try a shorter stem, but I just know that I will want to have my butt hanging off the back of the seat even more often. It seems to me that you must be running a setback seat post too so the cockpit does not seem so cramp during cross county type riding. Sean, what is the setback on yours? My climbing abilities improved when I got rid of my setback seatpost and I don't want to lose this.
    I run a 4" drop adjustable seat post (AMP) with no setback and have the saddle set in a pretty neutral position and sit on the point for very steep climbs, on the center for seated pedaling and stand above it for all descending.

It doesn't feel cramped to me and felt good this past weekend up on Upper and Lower Porcupine Single track (climbing up UPS and turning around and coming back down from the gate at the end of Kokopelli) - it obviously also felt particularly awesome on Porcupine itself. But I haven't been on my Mojo since late last year having been on my DH bike most weekends since Christmas until this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    No thanks. lengthening the TT would change the bike. I run a 50mm stem on my Large frame and it is perfect.

Right now my setup is 50mm stem and Deity Dirty 30 handle bars, I wasn't sure about the bar change but so far after one weekend of Moab I don't see going back to narrower bars again. I have been on the 50mm stem for about 18months.
    Well then they should make a XXL. I'm 6'2"" and the 70mm just fits me. If they made the TT longer I could run a 50 or 60mm stem but with this top tube that would be impossible. Plus I have a few friends who are 6'4" and the bike is just way too tiny for them with my 70mm. I know more than a few people who have not bought Mojo's because the cockpit is too short. I don't know too many people who want to run 100mm stems, which is what it seems Ibis specs on them.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Interestingly, Gene posted this on his blog this afternoon.
    Two things you can buy and instantly improve your bike handling.

Having ridden 30" bars on my DH bike all last year I had been wanting to try wider bars on my Mojo as well for quite a while but just never got around to it. The chance came one I got a nice shiny new DH frame and decided that it deserved new bars as well and my old bars became hand-me downs to my Mojo. Very happy with the change.

Take all my words with a grain of salt as my persuasion is of the downhill orientation and anything else is a necessary evil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I run a 70mm stem on my medium mojo sl. Back whEn I rode in the 90's everybody used loooong stems and I always had lower back pain. I have zero lower back pain now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    zzsean I was obviously in the same boat as you when choosing the size of my Mojo. I ran a 50 on a large but felt I wouldn't want to go any longer, so I plumped for the Med and (going against Genes advice) kept the option of running a slightly longer stem if required. I started and ran the Mojo for over a year with a 50 and now I have popped a 70 on. My guess Is that I may have been a little too cautious and ought to have gone for the large with the 50. At the time it was difficult to judge on a demo bike even with my own bars and stem as the demo was set up stupid-as qr Fox forks and skinny tyres on fairly crappy wheels. Now my setup is a 70mm Thomson X4 with 710mm Gravity Carbon bars.
    I still have the 50mm for days when its going to get sketchy

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    This relevant to the top of frame sizing: Brian Lopes Sea Otter update.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    This relevant to the top of frame sizing: Brian Lopes Sea Otter update.
    BTW, Brian Lopes is 5'10"

Couple of SOC 2010 practice session pumptrack pix...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I should have done this years ago-lopes_pumptrack2_soc2010.jpg  

I should have done this years ago-lopes_pumptrack_soc2010.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yes interesting. I am not unhappy that I plumped for the medium its just there were too many outspoken opinions on the day that I demo'd the Mojo. When trying a bike sometimes its better to be on your own. With the HD I may go large when it arrives here in the uk.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I built my original Mojo SL using 70mm stem too