mtbr member

I need protection

I just ordered a Ripley and it should be arriving in a week or two. In the mean time I'm researching ways to protect the areas of the frame most vulnerable to rock strikes, a common occurrence here in Texas. I've read a lot about different tape options but would I would really like is a rubber or carbon protector that I could mount to the water bottle holes located on the down tube. I would also like a tight fitting protector for the drive side chain stay, or maybe both sides.

I cannot find anything for the Ripley that meets my needs. A lot of expensive tapes or hack solutions like wrapping black electrical tape around my beautiful new frame (really?) and have come up empty as far as viable and robust "plate" protector solutions.

I even went so far as to contact Ibis and they were like "we don't protect our demo bikes and don't make any protection". Well nice for them, but I want my bike continue to look sharp AND be in once piece 1, 5, or even 10 years from now.

Does anyone with a Ripley have a good suggestion or ideas on how to protect both the carbon and the finish? Any solid leads on protector plates I can attach to the down tube? Ideas an options for the stays?

Super thanks to all Ibis Ripley owners!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred View Post
    +1. It's not what you asked for - I looked for what you want when I got my Ripley, too. But the Shelter tape is much thicker than normal and does seem to absorb the hits really well. They have some video about it. I know I've heard some pretty big hits when I've been riding, but I can't even see any marks on the tape, so it seems to do its job. It's the best solution I could find.

BTW, the Ripley has a pretty extreme curve at the bottom on the downtube. I could see any easy way to wrap that smoothly with one piece of tape. So I cut a short section off the long strip of tape and butted it up against the main strip of tape on the downtube. It does a good job of providing continuous protection and looks smooth. You have to cut holes for the under-tube water bottle mount and the drain hole. I don't think I did a very good job of that; a small hole-punch probably would have worked better. All in all, it's a very easy installation.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've got the shelter tape on my downtube. Doesn't offer complete protection but is the best I've found out there for a reasonable price. The stuff is thick, and seems to have saved me from some damage from minor hits.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I am considering Shelter; however a few things bug me about it:

1. The infomercial was poorly done. Turn the hammer around to the pointy side. That's what real rock edges are shaped like. Also why not test it on a real carbon frame (a small marketing cost for really showing off your goods) or just a thin round carbon tube, and show with/without the tape using varying degrees of force with the pointing side of the hammer. Also maybe it was me but it seemed like the tape was behind the light tube. All in all the video was pretty amateurish and left me with more questions than answers.

2. The stuff is astronomically priced, especially if I want to warp both stays and the down tube and have some left over for cable rub spots, as I would need the shop length spool, which is like 70 bucks. Even the regular cut is pricey at 30. Not saying it isn't worth it; but I want to be damn sure it isn't just a gimmick.

3. I've heard mixed reports that the edges will start to peel very shortly after install. That really worries me as I would hate the look of dirt gathering around the edges. Any thoughts or real-world experience on that?

I just wish there was a think rubber strip that I could place on the down tubes and the stays. Guess that ain't possible at the moment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I recently got a Ripley, and I actually posted here about frame protection. Many suggested Shelter Tape, and that is what I went with. The edges haven't started lifting at all, and to be honest, it is barely noticeable.

The stuff isn't astronomically priced. Really, consider the money you have just spent on an Ibis Ripley. Considering the protection it gives your frame, I would go so far as to say it is very reasonably priced.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    You find that $80 for 5 meters of tape is expensive? How much was your frame?
    Is the stuff perfect, no. Is it better than most things that are available? I believe so.
    Who cares about the video quality? They probably don't have a huge budget.
    I don't use it on my HDR except where my knee brace smacks the top tube.
    There is some tape on my DH bike's down tube. The marks in it are apparent that it works.
    To avoid the corners pealing, you should round the corners with scissors. This really helps avoid the corners rolling back.
    The tape has two seasons on it and there are some small sections that have peeled back. I will be replacing the tape over the winter. Two other friends have some on their bikes and are putting it on their new bikes.
    Eric

Dropshot Champ!
    $80 does seem excessive.

14-mil outdoor grade 3m tape works really well. It's alot cheaper than that! Go 20-mil if you want insane protection.

I've got years and years on it, and kicking rocks up with the front tires is very common. Downieville and Tahoe chunder hits at 20-30mph, still working great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    $80 does seem excessive.

14-mil outdoor grade 3m tape works really well. It's alot cheaper than that! Go 20-mil if you want insane protection.
    Would you definitely go with 14-mil over 8-mil if you were doing it again? Thanks!
    http://www.mountainbikeSF.com - Guided Mountain Biking in the San Francisco Bay Area

Dropshot Champ!
    I've never used 8. 14 needs to be heated up to become pliable enough to wrap the various twists and turns of the ibis frames. But it's been extremely reliable. I've wrapped numerous frames with it.

I've only felt 14 and 20. 20 felt like a laminated playing card. It would probably be too thick to do anything but the downtube, but I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    Thanks Red! Anyone else have any thoughts between 8-mil and 14-mil? They are about the same price and I can't decide...
    http://www.mountainbikeSF.com - Guided Mountain Biking in the San Francisco Bay Area

mtbr member
    i dont remember which one i have but based on comment that 14 needs to be heated to get workable i must have 8 mil. it was very easy to work with. areas i felt needed more protection i used 2 layers. from my experience seat and chain stays get most damage.
    Last edited by brankulo; 11-14-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

74 & 29 pilot
    If someone hadn't already mentioned it:

Frameskin for Ibis Ripley - Frameskin
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The frame skin is not in the same league as the Shelter tape. I used it to cover my HDR for rub marks but I do not believe it will do the job that the shelter tape can do. I am very impressed with how well the frame skin is designed, but I see it more as a product that will protect against cable rub and other types of friction. The shelter tape seems to be a product that is capable of withstanding significantly more impact than the frameskin product.
    I did not use the shelter on my HDR down tube because of have the guard from Ibis there. I could have used it starting from where the guard stops but I did not feel that I would receive any significant impacts in that location.
    My chain stay and seatstay are only protected with the framskin while I added a few spots of the 3m tape in high wear areas. I feel that I could have gone a lot further with wrapping the bike but then I remembered it is a bike.

Eric

DFMBA.org

I need protection

Maybe look at Trek's Carbon Armor for the down tube.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.