Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667

    I love my bike! (mojo passion)

    So I have owned my Mojo since October last year and I swear it is the best toy I have ever owned!

    I spent most of the winter riding in the Desert partaking in the joys of Moab and it's surrounds, but I had been really looking forward to the spring and being able to take the mojo up into the high country.

    This past weekend was it's first trip to Crested Butte. I still had it built up with a coil shock from the winter even though I had intended on switching back to the Fox RP23 for the much smother single track to be found in Crested Butte. Unfortunately I couldn't get the largest sleeve out of my Coil so I just opted to ride it in "heavy mode".

    For those that have been living under a rock somewhere, crested butte is a lot of sweet singletrack at around 10K-11K altitude and this early in the season you are forced to do many of the rides as out-and-backs instead of the normal loop options to ease the climbing.

    The mojo is the best ego stroker I have ever owned. It made me feel much stronger than I am on the long climbs and I could have sworn I was riding a much lighter built bike than I was. Of course once I turned it downhill I could only swear how brilliant I was for leaving the coil shock on! The trails in CB can get pretty rough before the summer hordes arrive and smooth things out but between the design of the suspension, the coil rear shock and my Pace Fighter up front I was able to really blast the trails on the way back down - such a smooth ride!

    It really does define all mountain when you can pedal your 5.5" coil loaded rear suspension and 6" front suspension 7 miles uphill to over 11K and then turn it around and literally fly downhill.


    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zzsean; 05-29-2007 at 06:09 AM.

  2. #2
    Baby Bear is in the house
    Reputation: r1Gel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,971
    I envy you!

    (...bike, trip, location )


    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    So I have owned my Mojo since October last year and I swear it is the best toy I have ever owned!

    I spent most of the winter riding in the Desert partaking in the joys of Moab and it's surrounds, but I had been really looking forward to the spring and being able to take the mojo up into the high country.

    This past weekend was it's first trip to Crested Butte. I still had it built up with a coil shock from the winter even though I had intended on switching back to the Fox RP23 for the much smother single track to be found in Crested Butte. Unfortunately I couldn't get the largest sleeve out of my Coil so I just opted to ride it in "heavy mode".

    For those that have been living under a rock somewhere, crested butte is a lot of sweet singletrack at around 10K-11K altitude and this early in the season you are forced to do many of the rides as out-and-backs instead of the normal loop options to ease the climbing.

    The mojo was the best ego stroker I have ever owned. It made me feel much stronger than I am on the long climbs and I could have sworn I was riding a much lighter built bike than I was. Of course once I turned it downhill I could only swear how brilliant I was for leaving the coil shock on! The trails in CB can get pretty rough before the summer hordes arrive and smooth things out but between the design of the suspension, the coil rear shock and my Pace Fighter up front I was able to really blast the trails on the way back down - such a smooth ride!

    It really does define all mountain when you can pedal your 5.5" coil loaded rear suspension and 6" front suspension 7 miles uphill to over 11K and then turn it around and literally fly downhill.


    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

  3. #3
    You know my steez...
    Reputation: BunnV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    906
    Nice story and a great picture.

  4. #4
    Not a smartass.
    Reputation: Brutal Cycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    300
    Nice... I'll have to get one under my pants for an afternoon.

  5. #5
    www.derbyrims.com
    Reputation: derby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,788
    Classic CB shot. Your Mojo looks fast even lying down!

    And great build on your Mojo too!

  6. #6
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Classic CB shot. Your Mojo looks fast even lying down!

    And great build on your Mojo too!
    One of the best things about the mojo is that while a "good build" certainly makes it shine even more it is by no means a requirement.

    For my wife's mojo we didn't get "the best components", instead she just has a stock SX build with just 2 swap outs.

    1. I moved the talas 32 I had originally on my mojo across to hers since I was getting the Pace for myself.
    2. She wanted Chris King Pretty in Pink Hubs so we swapped out the wheels.

    And yet she is riding better than ever and is making much better technical gains comparitively than I am - The mojo just makes you want to ride and then encourages you to try things that might have scared you silly on your previous bike.

    A trail in our region is a great example of this - Young Gulch in Poudre Canyon. These photos don't really show how steep this section is and it is considered a portage on the way up. But Amber cruised it first try on her mojo after walking it every other time we had ridden it prior.

    amberYoungGulchDescent.jpg
    amber_YoungGulch2.jpg

    A great bike is a bike that makes you want to take it out and ride! The mojo is a great bike.

  7. #7
    You know my steez...
    Reputation: BunnV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    906

    Good job! Lucky guy

    zzsean, you are so lucky to have a wife that is as passionate about the sport as you are. My wife thinks I'm crazy. Your wife has an awesome bike (I also ordered an SX) and she looks to be a pretty good rider! High five on the pink hubs too. Great pictures of a beautiful trail. Scenes like that are the reason I ride! I can't wait to get my Mojo!!!!!!!!!!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carbon Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    691
    Awesome pictures!

    I'm still learning the limits of my Mojo but I've taken it on the trails which I've done on my other 2 bikes and it's definitely a world of difference. I'm still a little hesitant on the large descents but that has more to do with my fear of scratching up the frame. I'm sure everything will be fine after my first major wipeout.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    421
    So as for the durability question I know it's anecdotal evidence at best but on my last ride I was riding with some friends with their dh bikes (I left miine at home expecting a mellow trailride) who decided to hit up some local dirt jumps before bombing the singletrack. All I can say is the mojo likes to fly! I was hitting everything I normally do on the dh bike with the same confidence. The problem is the mojo being significantly lighter it tends to fly further, a fact I learned by getting a little over zealous on a nice 4' tall double. I completely overshot the trannie and ended up landing to flat, which was not so fun. But I am happy to report that the mojo handled it like a champ. No harsh bottom, no sudden crakling of carbon fiber, it felt totally solid. Needless to say any doubts I had in the past about the strength of this frame have pretty much been laid to rest.

    And I still can't quite get over how stiff and strong feeling this frame is given it's really low weight. I guess it's just good engineering.

    Ibis, once again, hats off...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carbon Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    691
    Due to the great weather we've been having out here, I decided to hit the trails this morning to give my Mojo it's first real ride. I've taken it out on some local trails but this was the first time I've driven to the mountains to play.

    For you locals, I did a quick 12km loop along the Powderface to the Prairie Link to the Praire Creek trail. A good mix of fireroad, doubletrack and singletrack with a 430m cumulative elevation gain according to my Suunto.

    Here are some pics from the flatter sections. Damn I love my Mojo!




  11. #11
    It's the axle
    Reputation: Gregg K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,573
    What great shots!

    It makes me realize that life is too short. So many places to Mojo, and not enough time.

    I'm therefore going to show off a few snaps of my favorite riding area.

    Just before taking the first shot, I looked down and found a large obsidian arrowhead. So I'm pretty sure that trail is a lot older than most of us riders realized.








  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VTmojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    459

    mojo in VT

    I've had my mojo since May. I Love this bike! I have the SX build too w/ the Fox 140 RLC. I've made one upgrade so far, a Salsa Pro Moto Carbon riser bar. A Thompson Master piece is next. This forum is great, I've got lots of great advise, Thanks to all that contribute
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    421
    GreggK,

    Where is that? The riding looks awesome. Kinda reminds me of some of the trails here in santa cruz. Really nice looking though!

  14. #14
    It's the axle
    Reputation: Gregg K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,573
    Sessionrider,

    It's Mendocino. There isn't a lot of legal riding on the coast. But there are two or three trails that are fantastic here.

    VTmojo,

    I love that silhouette shot.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carbon Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    691
    Nice shots! Keep them coming.

    I forgot to mention that I wiped out at least three times - mainly due to my inability to unclip in time. After returning from the ride, I gave my Mojo a wipe down to remove the thick mud and to my surprise, I didn't even find the slightest scuff mark on my frame. That clearcoat is really tough!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jaymo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by sessionrider
    GreggK,

    Where is that? The riding looks awesome. Kinda reminds me of some of the trails here in santa cruz. Really nice looking though!
    I was going to say that looks like skeggs. I miss Cali , but family comes first.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    33
    VTmojo....another VT mojo owner here. Nice shots; at Ft. Ethan Allen, I think?? I would love to hook up and ride with you, but last week, while riding my Mojo in Waterbury, I broke my leg. Great bike...I hope you enjoy it.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VTmojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    459

    Mojo in VT....

    Quote Originally Posted by vtbiker
    VTmojo....another VT mojo owner here. Nice shots; at Ft. Ethan Allen, I think?? I would love to hook up and ride with you, but last week, while riding my Mojo in Waterbury, I broke my leg. Great bike...I hope you enjoy it.
    Yes, Ft Ehan Allen. I live across the Ave. Good little after work climb to keep the legs/lungs in shape in the early spring.

    Ouch...... On the broken leg, to bad. I hope you didn't hurt the mojo..lol.. How long are you out of commision? I may ride Waterbury next week, I've never ridden those trails, I hear they're pretty sweet!

    Maybe we can hook-up after you heal!

    How many mojo owners live in the great state of Vermont?? hmmmmm.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    33
    Luckily, the Mojo was uninjured!! I am out of commission at least 2-3 months. Titanium plates/screws, etc. Maybe light road riding in September, if I am lucky.
    Go to Waterbury. I ride a lot in Hinesburg, Saxon, Mobbs, etc, basically all the local trails. Waterbury are the best of the bunch. Plenty of climbing, but the downhills and techy sections are unbeatable. You should go with someone with some knowledge the first time, as the trails are not that well marked. Have fun, and let me know how it goes.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carbon Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by vtbiker
    VTmojo....another VT mojo owner here. Nice shots; at Ft. Ethan Allen, I think?? I would love to hook up and ride with you, but last week, while riding my Mojo in Waterbury, I broke my leg. Great bike...I hope you enjoy it.
    Sorry to hear about that.

    How did you break your leg? Must have been quite a wipeout.

    I had a wipeout on Tuesday and my left eggbeater failed to disengage - leaving my left leg in an awkward position. It left me with a really sore leg but luckily, all is fine after 48hrs. I might switch to platforms until I become a better rider...

  21. #21
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon Ken
    Sorry to hear about that.

    How did you break your leg? Must have been quite a wipeout.

    I had a wipeout on Tuesday and my left eggbeater failed to disengage - leaving my left leg in an awkward position. It left me with a really sore leg but luckily, all is fine after 48hrs. I might switch to platforms until I become a better rider...
    Personally I think that switching to platforms would be a mistake. if eggbeaters are hard to unclip perhaps investigate spd's where you can loosen them down a lot?

    I recently put flats on my mojo and absolutely hated them, I lost all my upstroke power and it just didn't feel as secure in the nasty stuff. But since I own a pair of flats I am going to try them out this weekend at los alamos on my downhill rig since they have some really fun looking north shore stunts there that would certainly lend themselves to giving flats another chance.

    How did you do your leg vtbiker? you must have been really pushing your mojo to it's (or your) limit. War stories make you famous!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Irrenarzt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    853
    I'll be up at the mountain on Saturday with an orange Mojo. Look for me...

  23. #23
    Mojo0115
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
    I'll be up at the mountain on Saturday with an orange Mojo. Look for me...
    Sweet. I will be riding my Downhill Rig, but my wife will be on a naked carbon mojo. If you see her (us) stop us and we can do a quick mutual admiration society thing on our bikes.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VTmojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by vtbiker
    Luckily, the Mojo was uninjured!! I am out of commission at least 2-3 months. Titanium plates/screws, etc. Maybe light road riding in September, if I am lucky.
    Go to Waterbury. I ride a lot in Hinesburg, Saxon, Mobbs, etc, basically all the local trails. Waterbury are the best of the bunch. Plenty of climbing, but the downhills and techy sections are unbeatable. You should go with someone with some knowledge the first time, as the trails are not that well marked. Have fun, and let me know how it goes.

    With any luck I'm hooking up with some local guys for a group ride next Thu for a Waterbury ride. I'll let you know how it goes

    I ride Mobbs, Saxon, Underhill & Pleasent Valley area's. Lots of great trails around.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Irrenarzt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    Sweet. I will be riding my Downhill Rig, but my wife will be on a naked carbon mojo. If you see her (us) stop us and we can do a quick mutual admiration society thing on our bikes.
    OK I'll look for y'all. You live in LA?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •