Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel

I am such a hypocrit!

I'm sure I'm in for a big ration of grief from several friends who have heard me say, time and again, that mtbikes should not be made out of carbon. Too easy to scratch, too fragile, blah, blah, blah. Well, like the incredibly handsome guy you just know is going to break your heart, but you date him anyway because he is sooooo sexy, the Mojo knocked my socks off. I now own one. Yeah, me. I own a carbon fiber mtbike. There, I said it.

I never meant to fall in love. I was happy with my current bike, an '03 Iron Horse Hollowpoint, which had saved my from myself many times. It'd gone with me to Moab and California, Fruita and Brian Head, as well as all my favorite trails around home. It had a few minor issues, like some of the cheeziest paint on the planet, a minor alignment issue in the rear triangle, and hard-to-replace bearings, but it rode well. I had thought about replacing the frame with the current Hollowpoint MkIII, but never got around to it. What I had was working fine.

So there we were at the Blue Mountain Mtb Festival in Peekskill, NY last month, a happy couple. Between rides, I chatted with the folks at Iron Horse, who, once again, neglected to bring any small bikes to test. Bummer. I wanted to see how the new version of the MkIII rode. And no more naked frames available this year either, sold out. Oh, well, mine still works, so no big deal. I wandered on, browsing the booths. That's when I spotted it. Those curvy lines! And my favorite suspension design! I hovered around the Briacliff Bikeworks booth where there were two Mojos. Yeah, there were some other bikes there, but all I could see were the blue and green Mojos. "Probably $4K just for the frame," I thought to myself. When I heard the price was a touch under half of that, I lost all good sense. I was under its spell. I wanted one.

Cut to the chase. After a few weeks wait for my size and color to arrive, here he is, my sexy studmuffin of a mtbike. Our first dance in the dirt will be tomorrow. :^D

Don't make fun of me for the monster spacer stack over the stem. The jury is out on the 125mm fork, so I'll cut later. The fork came from the Hollowpoint, which has an inch longer headtube and a headset with at least a 1/2" more stack height (had that cone-shaped top bearing cover).

My orange Ibis Mojo has a yellow pteredactyl mojo.

Parts, all taken from the '03 Hollowpoint except the front der, seatpost and headset:
    '03 Fox Talas RLC, Push'd
    King/Mavic 517 wheels
    Avid BB7 disc brakes
    Old school Avid Ultimate levers
    FSA carbon bar
    carbon bar ends
    Sette Edge stem
    Cane Creek IS2 headset
    Ibis Seatpost
    Terry Fly saddle
    XT crank with bashring and no big ring
    XT front der
    SRAM 9.0 rear der
    SRAM PC 69 chain
    Time ATAC pedals

Kathy
    Last edited by Lucky; 07-21-2007 at 08:41 PM.
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    Sweet! I grew up in Peekskill off Washington Street sort of southeast of Montrose.

Nice job Kathy!

mtbr member
    It's amazing how much bike you get for your money with the Mojo.

Thank God for the Chinamen sometimes! They work cheap!

Anyone know why my 2nd photo keeps uploading as 150 pixels wide when I keep saving it as 600 pixels wide, and I'm doing it exactly like the first one?

Quote Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
    Sweet! I grew up in Peekskill off Washington Street sort of southeast of Montrose.
    That's like right next to Blue Mountain, isn't it? Lucky you!

Thanks!

Kathy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi, beautifull bike,great orange,enjoy it

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Dont forget to post ur bike pic in post your mojo pic here thread . And I see a lot of Eddy Orange recently in this forums

mtbr member
    Nice bike Kathy!

I'm sure you'll continue to fall deeper in love as you continue to ride it. It's almost too good to be true.

Not sure why you can't upload the pic. Try resizing the original and trying again.

It's the axle
    Yay!

I don't recall just how long it has been since I got mine. And I must admit to nearly the same reaction when seeing the suspension design and price. That was it. I was off and running to put one together.

But regardless of how many months it has been, I walk away from every ride with at least the same enthusiasm as the first ride. The Mojo has a permanent place in my heart. Just like my first professional road bike in 1971. Something I will never part with, and something I could just sit and look at for enjoyment. But this piece of art moves with perfection. Whether climbing or descending.

Now get this. I'm looking for a new place to call home. The first criteria is that there be trails. The Mojo makes me want to ride. I'm actually buying property based on riding this bike. And I cannot wait.

All I'm saying is, lucky you! You're in for a good time.

Tonight I watched the Tour de France coverage while riding my Mojo around in the living room.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Nice!

So...two questions:
    Do you still want to me to look for that X.9 derailleur, and are you around this coming weekend?

Queen Kona
    Nice bike, Kathy! Now when do we ride?