Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Hypothetical but genuine question

I know this question may encounter some resistance here (and it might make some of you guys shed a tear at the thought), but it is a question of genuine interest so I hope to get some honest answers. Here it goes ...

Suppose that Ibis disappeared without a trace and ALL the Mojos, SLs, etc vanished with no way or chance of being reproduced ... what bicycle would take its place? Price, make, model, etc are not a factor and making your own Mojo, or giving up cycling are not acceptable answers ... you must ride, but what?

(NOTE: Explanation of your choice is not required, but feel free to add one if you'd like. And BTW ... no hidden aggenda here, just sheer curiosity.)

Thanks.

Gentleman Loser

Maverick

A Maverick Durance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

I changed my order for a Pace RC405 to a Mojo SL

The Pace RC405 was high up my list, and got rave reviews from the magazines. It definitely isn't as sexy as the Mojo, though. I'd seriously consider buying a Cannondale again; the new Scalpel looks great. There are also several Santa Cruz frames that would be high up my potential shopping list. I seriously considered the Superlight and various flavours of Blur.

But imagining a world without the Mojo...
    That would be a cruel place indeed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Liteville 301

flow where ever you go
    My mind is one big blank. If one bike enters, a whole stable enters. It might take years of grief and confusion, but I'd narrow it down to something.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey, maybe I change my mind.

How about the Storck Organic Light?

- Matt

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    If there were no Ibis I would probably look pretty closely at Transition bikes. But I think I would find it hard to ride a non- DW-Link for all mountain/ cross country riding. Sadly the other DW manufacturers just don't have the collection of build that the Mojo offers.

Grams Light Bikes
    Iron Horse MKIII (DW Link, a close clone of the Mojo) or the new Moots Mooto-XZ (29 incher)

holding back the darkness
    Can a have a tranny? Does that count? Some sort of singlespeed.
    Is true love, by definition absolute? If perfection is found, and lost again there is no use attempting to replace it. It cannot be done. It would be best to simply change perspective. I would make a couple upgrades to my singlespeed Jenna and roam the earth like Kane from Kung Fu silently lamenting my lost love.
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Pivot Mach 5 or Niner RIP 9

www.derbyrims.com
    MKiii or maybe the '08 Marin Wolf Ridge (I haven't demo'd it yet but if it's a pound lighter and as good riding as the earlier Wolf Ridge...)

Green Mojo
    None. I would sit at home and look at all my old pictures of my bike on trails in Southern CA, Utah, Nevada, Colorado. That would be a sad day.............

mtbr member
    The alternatives to Mojo SL were:

-Specialized Enduro SL (nice frame, shame about the non-standard own-brand fork and own-brand rear shock)
    - Liteville 301 (nice but not nice enough to beat Mojo SL and I would have liked slightly more travel)

Hopefully the Mojo SL lives up to the expectations when it arrives sometimes later on.
    Pertti
    Lahti, Finland
    MC Kramppi

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I find myself splitting time on my Mojo and MKIII as it is, with a heathy dose of 6POINT added in, so I guess my MKIII. If I lived somewhere with a little more burly terrain then it would be 6POINT. The Mojo and MKII are 2 TOTALLY different bikes though. Worlds apart as far as geometry and riding style go IMO.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

Amphibious Technologies
    _dw,

So when will IH start making CF bikes? I see the Aluminum dw bikes from IH drastically dropping in price/value over time but CF is holding up.

Edit: Oh, and how do you exactly design damping characteristics into the CF composite itself as described by derby below. Is that even possible (i.e., can you really replicate such controlled damping between each frame/batch of frames)?

Quote Originally Posted by derby
    I’ve found the Mojo’s minor amount of flex turns out to be a performance benefit due to the damping nature of carbon fiber and how the minor damped flex has been designed.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 01-25-2008 at 10:11 AM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    _dw,

So when will IH start making CF bikes? I see the Aluminum dw bikes from IH drastically dropping in price/value over time but CF is holding up.
    Mosty likely never, barring unforseen future developmemts.. Iron Horse's dw-link license will terminate after the 2008 model year, and I moved on from consulting on high end development work for IH in June 2007.

Edit: Oh, and how do you exactly design damping characteristics into the CF composite itself as described by derby below. Is that even possible (i.e., can you really replicate such controlled damping between each frame/batch of frames)?
    Its definitely possible, and done quite frequently in other high tech structural industries. I can't comment on if the Mojo was designed to exhibit a specific damping rate, but this is definitely something that can and is done through a wide variety of methods.

Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    Mosty likely never, barring unforseen future developmemts.. Iron Horse's dw-link license will terminate after the 2008 model year, and I moved on from consulting on high end development work for IH in June 2007.
    Interesting. does that mean there would be no 2009 Iron Horse Sunday?

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    Interesting. does that mean there would be no 2009 Iron Horse Sunday?
    Well, there may be a Sunday, but it won't be one that I designed, and it won't be using dw-link. There will however, be at least one dw-link downhill bike on the market.. just not a Sunday.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    HEY!!! What's up with the hijack?!?

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Well, there may be a Sunday, but it won't be one that I designed, and it won't be using dw-link. There will however, be at least one dw-link downhill bike on the market.. just not a Sunday.
    I would kill for a downhill bike designed by Ibis - imagine their attention to detail and customer service behind a downhill bike.

Amphibious Technologies

Dave
    WOW! Do you think IH will continue to carry replacement parts for their dw bikes for year to come? It would suck to get one and not be able to get parts for it. Or worst, get a non dw replacement. Yikes!
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

When in doubt, go faster
    That really blows. Hard.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    WOW! Do you think IH will continue to carry replacement parts for their dw bikes for year to come? It would suck to get one and not be able to get parts for it. Or worst, get a non dw replacement. Yikes!
    I would think they will carry replacement parts, but ultimately it will be up to them.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by =ChrisB=
    That really blows. Hard.
    One of the toughest decisions of my life to move on, but its done now. OK sorry for the thread hijack!
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Welp, that about sums it up... good luck in 09 Iron Horse.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast