Sep 2007

Smile how is the Tranny?

anybody built up an Ibis Tranny yet?
    would be a great complement to my Mojo.
    Mitch
    Boise

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    They aren't available yet. Here are the prices.

http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/pricing/

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Waiting...

I'm anxiously awaiting this frame as well.

I have an existing SS and the Mojo and want to convert the parts on the SS over to the Tranny. Looks like a perfect combo of light weight and do-everything. No 29" wheels, but I'm on 26" anyway.

Any more info on release date? Colors? Matte grey looks nice as does brown......?
    "Nothing is free."

Ibis Mojo / Parlee Z5 / Colnago Master Zabel / Cannondale Tandem / Civia Loring w/bamboo fenders

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Tranny Progress

We're finishing up the cad on the 21" and 15" is next. The 17" and 19" are done cad wise. Visiting the factory next week to work together with them on the bike. We are working on the colors and graphics as well.

We are projecting April - May for the first shipments.

Anyone interested in running the belt drive SS set up? Trying to gauge the buzz on this...

Cheers!
    Hans

flow where ever you go

buzz on belts

One buzz I''ve been aware of is that belts don't mix well with mud. But I don't know. If it works, it could be good.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

Church of the Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc
    Anyone interested in running the belt drive SS set up? Trying to gauge the buzz on this...
    Hans
    I would definitely be interested in a belt drive SS setup!

HMFIC
    Apr 2007
    Hans,

Thanks for the update.

I'll pass on the belt drive, but please, please, please release a 29er version of the Tranny soon. I bet you will get major feedback from other riders on this board interested in a 29er!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Belt Drive System on Tranny?

Hans,

In reviewing the Spot Belt Drive System, I wonder how Ibis would address need to break the chainstay in order to provide for belt installation?

Perhaps a better approach would be to use the (2) speed internal crank/BB as represented here from Interbike. What a cool concept( if not too heavy) to be able to simply shift by pressing a button on the BB shaft with your ankle while riding! I believe in mountainous terrain that a couple of gear ratios is very helpful, not seemingly somthing possible with the belt system.
    checks it out!

http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/un...-at-interbike/
    Last edited by buggymancan; 01-15-2008 at 04:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would be interested in going with a belt over a chain depending on the cost differences... of course the single speed option is a no-brainer -- I will have a mojo sl (2 weeks more :fingers crossed: ) for riding with gears.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We're finishing up the cad on the 21" and 15" is next. The 17" and 19" are done cad wise. Visiting the factory next week to work together with them on the bike. We are working on the colors and graphics as well.

Cheers!
    Hans
    What are the benefits?

mtbr member
    With the tranny and its removable rear triangle, belt installation should be simple.

Edit: My mistake, as pointed out by Derby, the removable rear triangle is solid so needs to a belt that can be split or unbuckled :-)
    Last edited by mordor; 01-17-2008 at 01:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mordor
    With the tranny and its removable rear triangle, belt installation should be simple.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've used link belts before. They are like a chain/belt hybrid as they are made of links but with a belt profile. Not super heavy duty but could easily handle a humans puny output.
    I like the belt idea.
    Last edited by 4212darren; 01-16-2008 at 10:05 AM.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mordor
    As long as the belt can be un-buckled. The Tranny has a solid belt/chain-stay.

Perhaps Hans is considering designing a chain stay that can separate to use a continuous belt?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Tranny

If Ibis was to switch the two pieces connection points - the male and female parts - and make the male part slotted on the rear triangle it would work with a continuous belt.

My vote is.

#1 - 29er

#2 - belt

-Alex
    "Nothing is free."

Ibis Mojo / Parlee Z5 / Colnago Master Zabel / Cannondale Tandem / Civia Loring w/bamboo fenders

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Tranny 29" and 650b rear triangle options?

Cheers!
    Hans

Hans, what are the chances that a 29" and/or 650b rear triangle option will be made available for the Tranny in the future? Seems that a BB height and WB corrected rear triangle could simply be bolted on the Tranny to provide different wheel sizing options, Yes?

I, for one would opt for 26", 650b and 29 " triangles to go with my Tranny order. Any body else?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hans, Any input on the belt concept or the possibility of multiple wheel size rear triangle options? Are these concepts Ibis will consider, or are we dreaming?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I hear they're releasing a Tranny made for 700c wheels. That way you can run a 20X700c tire - sweet.

Have you got off that hill yet and ridden your new fork on the Mojo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I would hope that the 700c triangle would be wide enough to accommodate a 2.35 " 650b tire as well?
    Last edited by buggymancan; 01-27-2008 at 05:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan
    I would hope that the 700c triangle would be wide enough to accommodate a 2.35 " 650b tire as well? Not riding at the moment, too wet, but working on the Mojo SL build(s), one XC (red) and one AM (blue). Lots of wheeling and dealing, parts sales etc. to facilitate habit. Will post some photos soon.
    parts sales? I guess so if you're going to have a stable of SL's! Do you still want to sell that 130X? I've been perusing the web for a fork and haven't been able to decide on the new Float or not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Spidermonkey,

Please check your private messages.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

not sure yet

About alternate rear ends for the Tranny, we'll consider it after we get the bike in production. I'm not sure how well it will work out geometry wise yet either...
    Gotta mock that up on th computer...
    H

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    TRANNY SPOTTING, single speed picts...

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    another vote for a 29er version. i, and MANY OTHERS, would be all over it. there is only one real option as far as carbon 29er goes, and that bike is pretty much sold out for the year.

belt drive ss....nah.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle