mtbr member
    Nov 2004

How are those Trannys riding?

Any of you tranny riders care to comment on how your bike rides? I love the whole idea of something light and fast, probably try it as a SS. So let me know, how are they treating you?

Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    I love my Tranny. Light and fast is right. I have mine set up SS. It wants to be ridden fast, the faster you push it the better it rides. I ran it all winter with studded tires and it was the perfect winter ride. It's so efficient, every bit of energy you put on the pedals is used to propel you forward, with the carbon goodness, SS and no tensioner needed. I ran small block eights tires with very low rolling resistance, very fast! I have FU alt sweep bars with ergon grips, it kind of gives the bike a beach cruiser feel but it works great for that standing hard SS effort. I just bought some carbon Easton bars to try for a more xc ride, and also lighten the front end up as the FU bars are steel and it kind of weighs down the front end a bit.

With the trails all wet and sloppy during mud season here I'm about to change it up to a 1x9 set up with mavic speed city wheels with knobby tires for more base miles on dirt roads.

I really like the versatility. It compliments my mojo well; I rode the mojo for the first time yesterday since a Nov trip to Moab with it. Man, it felt different, such a change up. Fast swoopy, SS friendly climbs, winter snow & ice, dirt road, racing, or just a change = Tranny. Everything else = Mojo.

flow where ever you go
    My Tranny is set up 1x9. It is as fast and as sure footed as any hardtail I've ever had but climbs better (due largely to it's low weight I must presume). It is also less fatiguing over the rough stuff than aluminum hardtails by far. No problems. Easy to break down for travel. It's the best hardtail I've ridden yet.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Right on sounds awesome. I live 20 minutes away from a large cross country area with miles of trails I ride in the summer. Iv'e had this picture in my head of cruising fast and silently through the trees and a SS tranny would be perfect. Haven't decided on my whole build yet as I am new to SS but I am thinking of building my wheels around "Stealth Hubs" to keep things nice and quiet.

Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    Love it. Currently set up as a SS.

650b me
    And no problems with the slot machine? No creaking or slipping? I haven't seen one in person, but the design seems simple and, well, crude. Otherwise, looks like a great machine. Nothing else out there like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You guys with the SS configuration, are you running carbon belt drive or regular chains?

meh
    cant run a belt on the tranny

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy
    And no problems with the slot machine? No creaking or slipping? I haven't seen one in person, but the design seems simple and, well, crude. Otherwise, looks like a great machine. Nothing else out there like it.
    So far, so good, no noise, play or other issues - and my bike is caked in mud.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    No creaks, no anything. I agree with it appearing on the surface a bit crude, but it's very solid. You can't tell it's a two piece bike under you.

There was just a write up of the tranny in the british mountain bike magazine "What Mountain Bike" where they explicitly stated how quiet it was. But they also were good enough to mention you must make proper use of carbon paste in the slot machine.

mtbr member
    my tranny has been great! but took a bit to get the right sitting position!
    now is flys along. I'm in a colder wet climate and not a single creak since torqued properly!
    running geared and hop to be SS in the summer
    Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Kinesis FF29