mtbr member

how much travel are you getting (Ripley)

I seem to be using all but maybe 2cm on my ripley according to the o-ring on the rear shock and am wondering if I have to much air in my shock or if my rebound is set to fast. I am 174 and have it set at 170lbs of pressure with the rebound set 5 click from full slow. Everything works great but I am wondering if I am missing out on a bit a suspension...

I spoke to my shop about it and they said that was pretty normal. They took all the air of the shock pressed down and the rear tire hit the seatube. So perhaps having that 2cm of space is benifiacial?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Rebound controls how fast the shock extends after being compressed, so that does not explain why you are not getting full travel.
    Compression speed is set by the CTD lever. On my Ripley I leave this in the D (or Downhill or fully open) setting. The geometry of the suspension on the Ripley is so well balanced that I have never needed to use the T or C setting. If you ride in T or C setting, that could possibly explain why you are not getting full travel. I would also recommend using sag as a measure for how much pressure you need in the shock rather than a presure value, in case your pumps pressure gauge is not calibrated.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    rollinrob, I'm around your weight, and have my shock somewhere around 150psi on my Ripley.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I agree with using sag rather than air pressure to find the ideal setting for the rear shock. There is a good video on the Ibis site on setting up your rear suspension. I believe on the Ripley, 30% sag on the 44mm stroke shock is about 13mm, measured in riding gear, riding position, with the rear shock in the fully open position. I set mine up using this method and routinely use all my rear travel.

One caveat is that if you have a volume spacer in your shock, that will make it more progressive and consequently more difficult to bottom out shock (use full travel).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes as other have said correct sag measurement is the key to rear shock performance.

1 Put your normal riding gear on, pack helemt and all.
    2 Bounce your suspension then reset o ring on shock and fork
    3 mount bike in normal riding position, do not bounce, get off carefully. I use a curb to stand on to mount and dismount bike.
    4 Measure sag and add or subtract PSI

Go ride and see how it feels as some like less sag some more.

I run about 30% also and i bottom shock now and then. There is that last bit of shaft that you will not use.