mtbr member

How hard wearing is the Mojo SL's "rubber" paint?

I've read the stunning reviews of the Mojo / SL here in the review section and really the only minor complaint about the original Mojo was that the high gloss finish scratches and marks quite easily. I'm looking to get the SL with the rubber paint and was wondering how durable the paint is? Presumably it doesn't mark as easily as the gloss finish? How durable are we talking? More so that the average bike paint job? If you bash it does it come out unscathed?

Cheers,

JB

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I beleive they are thinking of using the pu paint to reinforce the tiles on the Space Shuttle soon.
    .....Naw.
    Anyway, after having demo bikes with the pond slime green at my lbs for several months, they still look really good. The paint seems to mark up pretty easily maybe because of the flat or lack of high gloss it just shows it more, but nary a scratch or chip like issue very few report with early painted moj classics. I think with original moj I would love to see the pu clear coat as an option. Note, I'd still get the SL cause of the UHM carbon giving possibly a slightly diff ride tone. (ie vibration, modulation, etc._) Note, if you think you can't feel the diff on a ride...you probably can't.
    Last edited by ghawk; 02-23-2008 at 04:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Hi ghawk,

When you say it marks easily, can these marks be rubbed/cleaned off, or are they permanent? Also how easily does it mark? If I ran my finger nail across it would that leave a mark? Would you say the paint was more or less durable that a "normal" painted aluminum bike? I've asked these questions in a few other threads and no one seems to want to answer which makes me a bit suspicious. It would just be a large turn off to get such a nice looking bike and then have to cover it head to toe with sticky tape because the paint marks so easily.

Cheers,

JB

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My Mojo was the first one delivered by OTE with the "rubber paint." But they also have a couple in their rental fleet. So, I'm the guinea pig when it comes to "how well does the rubber paint hold up in real life?" The only problem is that since I took delivery in December, I haven't been able to even ride the bike due to the weather.

I will say that dirty fingers leave dirty spots on the paint, but they clean up easily with a little 409.

My expectation is that the paint will scuff and leave a mark that may or may not be easily removed, but it's unlikely that it will chip as easily as a hard clear coat.

Ask again at the end of the summer.

mtbr member
    Cheers Rick.

Anyone else have any input? I've seen picture of SLs that have been well and truly ridden so they must be out there. How are they holding up? Someone must of tried to clean one? Did the scuffs come off?

mtbr member
    This scratching of the original painted mojos is greatly overstated. I have one with some strategically placed helicopter tape and it looks like new and I've put some good mileage on it. The paint is way tougher than its depicted of being. I'm sure the SL rubberized paint is even better. It's a bike. Worry about riding it, not oggling over how friggen clean it looks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Bean
    Hi ghawk,

When you say it marks easily, can these marks be rubbed/cleaned off, or are they permanent? Also how easily does it mark? If I ran my finger nail across it would that leave a mark? Would you say the paint was more or less durable that a "normal" painted aluminum bike? I've asked these questions in a few other threads and no one seems to want to answer which makes me a bit suspicious. It would just be a large turn off to get such a nice looking bike and then have to cover it head to toe with sticky tape because the paint marks so easily.

Cheers,

JB
    I don't really think I said that right, I think the flat paint seemed to show marks because of the non-gloss on a lighter color frame. Such as some cable rub I saw. (note: had no rub into the paint itself)
    Also, I'm no expert on the paint, just thru the test bikes I saw it on as stated above.
    But, I imagine the marks clean off as good as any other paint. Also, I think tape all over the bikes you read about in the forums on classic mojs is mainly because here on these forums you have REALLY finicky riders that treat their bikes as if first born, not because the paint is soft.
    If your worried about a few marks, I would go with the matte clear or brown and gloss up the finish a little.
    I used to spend that time on my cars and bikes and a good polymer silicone wax sealant makes a difference. At my age, sweating small stuff is waste of time now really, oh yea, it's all.....

Anyway, I think it's the best paint in the bike industry now for mountain bikes. Other companies will eventually follow but it's probably pretty expensive so, not many.
    Would you say the paint was more or less durable that a "normal" painted aluminum bike?
    Oh yes, absolutely IMHO.
    I would love to give more experience but since my moj sl (i ordered the gray) has been delayed another couple of months, well ask again next fall.
    Last edited by ghawk; 02-23-2008 at 04:53 AM.

Slovakia (Europe)
    History:
    I had rubber paint on my first Wilier (Web Rider model) 5 - 6 years ago. The paint wasn't too hard, but elastic and not so matte as Mojo SL. Surprisingly it lasted well. The anti-chips ability (like the impacts from small stones etc.) is very high, better then standard paint, but you can scratch the paint quite easily by any sharp edge.I think anodized alluminium is in average more durable. Anyhow the frame looked nice after 2 years of use (I think better, then next Spec Epic with standard paint after the same period).

Mojo SL matte clear rubber paint is very mat, that means e.g. oil spots (or oil fingerprints) are very visible and need to be cleaned. The eventual scratch is light gray color, so clearly visible on dark gray background. I've tested the paint by nail on the bottom of the headtube hole edge and sign of it has been left. Anyhow based on my previous experience I believe to the paint, but decided to protect the exposed parts by "helicopter" tape.
    Note: I haven't ridden the frame yet, it's brand new.

mtbr member

who cares about a few scuffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
    This scratching of the original painted mojos is greatly overstated. I have one with some strategically placed helicopter tape and it looks like new and I've put some good mileage on it. The paint is way tougher than its depicted of being. I'm sure the SL rubberized paint is even better. It's a bike. Worry about riding it, not oggling over how friggen clean it looks.
    Dude, about time someone said this. Yes, it's pretty. But it's a freaking bike, and bikes -- when ridden like they should -- get banged up a bit. The wretched scuffs on my old aluminum frame never hindered the ride quality, nor did paint chips lead to frame malfunction.

Do what y'all need to in choosing moj carbon vs. moj sl, but just don't let scuff potential be the deciding factor.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Irrenarzt
    I have one with some strategically placed helicopter tape and it looks like new and I've put some good mileage on it... ...It's a bike. Worry about riding it, not oggling over how friggen clean it looks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rideharder
    Dude, about time someone said this. Yes, it's pretty. But it's a freaking bike, and bikes -- when ridden like they should -- get banged up a bit. The wretched scuffs on my old aluminum frame never hindered the ride quality, nor did paint chips lead to frame malfunction. Do what y'all need to in choosing moj carbon vs. moj sl, but just don't let scuff potential be the deciding factor.
    Just to clarify, the paint is not a major decision making factor for me, I'm just curious how it's holding up. Considering how expensive the frame / bike is, I don't think its unreasonable to be curious about the finish and its durability.

You do make me a laugh a bit though. You say... "It's a bike, don't worry about scuffing and denting the frame (but I have covered mine in helicopter tape by the way to stop it getting scuffed and dented)"