mtbr member
    Feb 2013

How does the Ripley pedal with a 36 tooth chainring?

I know Hans mentioned the Ripley was optimized for pedaling with a 32 or 34 tooth front chain ring for ultimate suspension performance. I was wondering if anyone has tried or has any insight as to how it will perform with a 36 tooth chainring? I have a Sram Quarq power meter (120 bcd) and ordered a Wolftooth xx1 style 36 tooth chainring (smallest that will fit on 120 bcd). I was just wondering if the frame will still behave as designed or if running that chainring will diminish the performance?

I'll probably end up getting a 32 or 34 tooth Homebrew chainring for the 80 bcd (inner position) this winter with an outer bash for the long term.

Any insight is appreciated!

mtbr member
    The HD is optimized for those size rings as well, but still pedals great with both a 36 and 38.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm surprised SRAM haven't released a XX1 compatible power meter yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeyrider View Post
    I'm surprised SRAM haven't released a XX1 compatible power meter yet.
    If I had to guess, I'd imagine one is in the works. They (SRAM/Quarq) discontinued the only mtb power meter they offered a while back.

mtbr member
    You might see if Stages has anything coming out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidmantis View Post
    You might see if Stages has anything coming out.
    Stages modifies existing alloy cranks, so unless it already exists (being manufactured by someone) they probably won't have anything that is 1x specific. That being said, I could get a XTR stages crank and there are a number of companies that make xx1 style chain rings for 104 bcd cranks.

I'm trying to not replace my crank unless absolutely necessary. I'm going to try the 36t Wolftooth in the 120 bcd (big ring) position and see how it goes. In the mean time, I'll probably get an order going for a 32t homebrewed SS chainring for the 80 bcd (inner ring) position on my crank for a hopefully longer term solution.

mtbr member
    Although I'd assume there would be balance issues, Stages says this:

Quote Originally Posted by Stages
    The Stages Power meter is compatible with Shimano Hollowtech II crank arms for both road and mountain bikes. Stages Cycling supports an array of SRAM cranks, though we only build on the Rival and X9 GXP and BB30 cranks. Those Rival and X9 cranks can be retrofit to a large number of other SRAM right crank arms, including: Rival, Force, and Red for the road; as well as X7, X9, X0, and (166mm width only) XX and XX1 mountain cranks.
    [Edit] Sorry, I had only skimmed the thread, I guess you aren't running XX1 cranks anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tlechnow View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd imagine one is in the works. They (SRAM/Quarq) discontinued the only mtb power meter they offered a while back.
    I hope you are right. I have a quarq power meter on my road bike and love it. Hope to get the same for my MTB eventually.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The 36T is great, peddals very well on the Ripley I have a 2x10 22/36 I use the 36 about 95% of the time the small ring is a bail out for the kickers out here in SoCal trails. I am in the process of going 1x11, I ordered a 34T front for my X01 setup that I am waiting for.