mtbr member
    May 2011

How do I "tighten up" my Ibis hub?

Front hub on my HD feels loose. Looks like I need to swap out the bearings? They are not available on Ibis's site, so what do I order?

It's so bad that, when I brake lightly, it causes a serious vibration. Feels like a loose headset. Perhaps poor performance on the part of my new Sram XO brakes has something to do with it? Can't tell if it's the brakes or the hub that is causing the vibration. Figure I'll start with the hub and go from there.

Any thoughts?

but i want to ride now
    Pop off the end caps, the bearings will have a 4 digit number on them indicating what size they are. If I recall correctly they should be a 6804. Companies like Enduro make bearings in pretty much any size and grade, should be easy to find at a decent shop.
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by circlesuponcircles View Post
    Front hub on my HD feels loose. Looks like I need to swap out the bearings? They are not available on Ibis's site, so what do I order?

It's so bad that, when I brake lightly, it causes a serious vibration. Feels like a loose headset. Perhaps poor performance on the part of my new Sram XO brakes has something to do with it? Can't tell if it's the brakes or the hub that is causing the vibration. Figure I'll start with the hub and go from there.

Any thoughts?
    If you are riding a Fox 36 fork, first check and make sure the hub is getting clamped down on by the fork. You might need to crank down on the through axle. When it's not tight, the hub feels like it has worn out bearings. The hub uses end caps that rely on the axial pre-load of the through axle to hold everything.

The maker of the hub is Novatec. They should have parts if needed:

Henry Hinojosa
    NOVATEC USA
    2321 E. 4th St. Suite C 458
    Santa Ana, CA 92705
    henry@novatecusa.net
    Phone 714-585-5469
    Novatec
    Hub parts:
    D882SB 4in1

Ibis can always help if none of this works as well.
    Good luck with the troubleshooting!
    H

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Same problem here - noticed it after a couple of rides and I'm pretty certain it's not a bad bearing (in my case). Interestingly, it gets worse if I overtighten the through-axle. It makes eliminating brake squeel impossible (thats how I first found the issue) and I have the "loose headset" sensation on occasion. I've found a sweet spot with just the right amount of qr tension where it's very difficult to detect the "play", but it's still there.

I'm wondering if it's un-parallel or rounded faces somewhere. I can't seem to figure it out. If you find a solution, although my situation may be completely different, please let me know.

I'll probably contact Novatech as well, but I doubt that they can troubleshoot my problem over the phone.

Thanks for the contact info, Hans.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks hans! Pretty sure all I had to do was tighten the thru axel. Just wrenched down on it pretty hard and the play seemed to go away. I also realized I had to realign the caliper. Haven't taken it out of the garage yet (because i should be sleeping), but I'm dawn patrolling it for a 60 mile ride in the rockies tomorrow morning and I should be able to tell if it's fixed right away. Hopefully, that's all there was to it. Nothing like a simple solution!

If it doesn't do it, swapping my rotor onto a different wheel should rule out the brakes being the issue. (And I hope they're not!)