mtbr member
    Nov 2004

How do I reattach the front de seat tube ferrual holder?

Don't know if I have the spelling correct on the ferrual thing but I need to know how to reattach its holder to the seat tube. I'm am asking on my brothers behalf, he has a 08 mojo C and the holder has popped off twice now. He has glued it back in place twice with PL400 which is a very strong carpenters adhesive. It holds for awhile then lets loose The rivet is still attached to the holder and he can push it back into the frame. Any ideas on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Straw
    Last edited by straw; 07-31-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: incorrect description
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by straw View Post
    Don't know if I have the spelling correct on the ferrual thing but I need to know how to reattach its holder to the seat tube. I'm am asking on my brothers behalf, he has a 08 mojo C and the holder has popped off twice now. He has glued it back in place twice with PL400 which is a very strong carpenters adhesive. It holds for awhile then lets loose The rivet is still attached to the holder and he can push it back into the frame. Any ideas on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Straw

Hey Straw,

Here is a little info that should help you out. Email me if you need any parts and we will get you setup.

Best, Todd

Todd@ibiscycles.com or Toddibis@gmail.com

Cable stop reattachment

To install the cable stop you will first need a few things: a rivet gun, some two part epoxy, and some rough sand paper.

Start by sanding the bottom of the new stop down to the bare aluminum to remove any old glue or anodizing. Next, sand the area of the frame where the stop will be attached. Just sand enough to scuff the paint under where the stop will go.

Depending on the shape of the tip of your rivet gun, you might need to fabricate a small spacer to keep the tip from interfering with the cable stop. The spacer should be a small piece of tubing just long enough to keep the tip of the rivet gun from hitting the cable stop. If the spacer is too long it will prevent the gun from being able to grip the rivet shaft.

Mix up some epoxy and apply to the bottom of the stop and to the sanded spot on the frame.

Place the stop on the frame in the correct direction and rivet it in place.

Wipe up the excess glue and let the epoxy cure before reassembling the derailleur cable.

The rivet diameter is 3/32nd" with a grip range between an 1/8th" and a 1/4".
    Last edited by toddibis; 08-01-2012 at 09:56 AM.