Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    You know my steez...

How Brian Lopes REALLY feels about GT vs. Ibis

I feel like for a long time I was riding on a Ford or a Chevy, and now Im going to be cruising around on a Ferrari, the reigning four-cross world and World Cup champion said.

http://velonews.com/article/72923/ea...-offroad-world
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

Rides a Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    I feel like for a long time I was riding on a Ford or a Chevy, and now Im going to be cruising around on a Ferrari, the reigning four-cross world and World Cup champion said.
    Well said Lopes...

My hopes of ordering a Ferrari red paint job on a Tranny or Mojo have just improved

Yip Yar.
    Frameskin Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

nerfherder
    Classic!

www.derbyrims.com

I agree with Lopes

Quote Originally Posted by fishboy2807
    Well said Lopes...

My hopes of ordering a Ferrari red paint job on a Tranny or Mojo have just improved

Yip Yar.
    I've long wondered what shade of red Ibis would use for the Mojo. But two years of Mojo production and still no red yet.

Ferrari red would be appropriate. Ferrari did have a semi-carbon fiber horst-link mountain bike with their mark on it about 5 years ago. Maybe they would partner with Ibis now for an upgrade to the new state-of-the-art mountain bike.

I have always said my Mojo was the Ferrari F40 I'll never afford to own. Dave Weagle called it the Bugatti of bikes, and the Ibis blue is very Bugatti looking. But the Mojo performs more like the "Ferrari" of mountain bikes - I agree with Lopes.
    Last edited by derby; 03-20-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: a not n

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004

http://velonews.com/article/72923/ea...-offroad-world
    Brian got dropped from GT (I won't go into why), so I would take that quote with a grain of salt.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Brian got dropped from GT (I won't go into why), so I would take that quote with a grain of salt.
    You mean that a sponsored rider might say great things about the bike they are riding? Stop the Presses!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Burgundy red like a Bugatti would be extremely cool. There is nothing wrong with Ferrari red either ... or British Racing green.

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    I've long wondered what shade of red Ibis would use for the Mojo. But two years of Mojo production and still no red yet.

Ferrari red would be appropriate. Ferrari did have a semi-carbon fiber horst-link mountain bike with their mark on it about 5 years ago. Maybe they would partner with Ibis now for an upgrade to the new state-of-the-art mountain bike.

I have always said my Mojo was the Ferrari F40 I'll never afford to own. Dave Weagle called it the Bugatti of bikes, and the Ibis blue is very Bugatti looking. But the Mojo performs more like the "Ferrari" of mountain bikes - I agree with Lopes.
    As cool as Ibis is, Ferrari will never partner with them. Ferrari and Colnago have been partners for years. I love this bike (C2F), but for $9230, I'll take my Mojo and an Orbea Orca with money left over for a nice trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    I was curious about the i-Drive a few years ago so I bought one put the same shock and fork off my Tracer on it, then sold it after a few rides. Riding a good Horst link is noticeably snappier pedaling and as active as the i-drive (or the best monopivots). The lighter and more active and way more efficient pedaling Mojo dw-link does feel like a high powered Porsche (I haven't driven a Ferrari), compared to the very smooth pedaling but sluggish feeling i-drive.

I compare the Ibis Mojo to GT i-Drive like a high powered Porsche is to a Chevy station wagon.

And I wasn't paid; I actually have ridden dozens of bikes researching and paid thousands of hard earned dollars to know the ride time facts for myself ... and so now without any shadow of doubt I can say ...

I agree with Lopes!
    Last edited by derby; 03-21-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Amphibious Technologies
    “I feel like for a long time I was riding on a Ford or a Chevy, and now I’m going to be cruising around on a Ferrari,” the reigning four-cross world and World Cup champion said.

Is he saying the Mojo is a good road bike and the GT is a good offroad bike? We are talking about offroad vehicles here, aren't we? Personally, I'd rather take a Chevy or Ford truck offroad than a Ferrari but that's just me.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    daniel son you take things to literally

You know my steez...

Ferrari anyday over any Ford or Chevy

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Personally, I'd rather take a Chevy or Ford truck offroad than a Ferrari but that's just me.
    Not me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Amphibious Technologies
    Not me!
    That's a just wanna-be offroad vehicle; AKA crossover. A truck, like say an F250, will kick it's arse in an offroad race.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 03-21-2008 at 08:36 PM.

nerfherder
    My name is Scruffylooking, I like to eat poo.

Edit: I hate my friends. Note to self - don't leave yourself logged in when friends come over.
    Last edited by scruffylooking; 03-21-2008 at 11:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    wtf dude i don't think that is a good idea. I'm pretty sure its not good to eat any poo

You know my steez...
    That's a just wanna-be offroad vehicle; AKA crossover. A truck, like say an F250, will kick it's arse in an offroad race.
    I know, I was just messin' with ya. I was surprised to even find a Ferrari off roader, even though it's totally computer generated! I watch the off road races on SPEED -it looks like motocross for trucks- and there is NO Ferrari that could compete in that series.

mojo mofo
    Good job Scuba, I'm sure that Lopes meant exactly what you thought he did. That Ford and Chevy only make off road vehicles and Ferrari only makes road cars.

Oh by the way, ever heard of a Corvette? Or maybe a GT40? Or how about decades of Camaros or Mustangs? I'm not suggesting that Ford and Chevy make the best products in general, but I think that might have been part of the point of the quote.

The concept SUV from Ferrari would probably not be able to carry a sheet of plywood as well as the F250, but they wouldn't be targeted for the same audience. No one vehicle can do everything better than every other vehicle.

I'm sure Lopes is definitely able to make a more specific quote if this was an on road vs. off road thing. He might know a bit more about off road riding than most of us.

In other posts you've mentioned that there are a few people that might be a little, um, enthusiastic about the bike's abilities and you're probably right about that. It's not for everything. But the point is, it's good at more types of riding than most any bike that has come before it. In the hands of a skilled rider like Lopes, it will probably seem even better.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by talkshow-host
    Good job Scuba, I'm sure that Lopes meant exactly what you thought he did.
    Thanks!

Amphibious Technologies
    I know, I was just messin' with ya. I was surprised to even find a Ferrari off roader, even though it's totally computer generated! I watch the off road races on SPEED -it looks like motocross for trucks- and there is NO Ferrari that could compete in that series.
    haha...me too! Glad you're not taking things as seriously as others round here

www.derbyrims.com

ride one

" ... I personally tested numerous bikes and the Ibis Mojo has won hands down as the best all-around machine. ..." - Brian Lopes, multiple World Champion rider

Scubapro, how about some comments on how the Mojo compares after you actually ride one?

Amphibious Technologies
    " ... I personally tested numerous bikes and the Ibis Mojo has won hands down as the best all-around machine. ..." - Brian Lopes, multiple World Champion rider

Scubapro, how about some comments on how the Mojo compares after you actually ride one?
    Here we go again, derby making assumptions. You know what happens when you Ass-U-Me; right derby?

Ride Mojo on trails I frequent - check. What would you like me to compare it to: My 300Z or my Land Rover? Personally my I'd pick the rover over the Mojo, for desert riding anyways.

EDIT: derby, you know wheelhot will be disappointed by you asking for actual riding experience before one comments on the Mojo.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 03-24-2008 at 12:36 PM.

www.derbyrims.com
    Here we go again, derby making assumptions. You know what happens when you Ass-U-Me; right derby?

Ride Mojo on trails I frequent - check. What would you like me to compare it to: My 300Z or my Land Rover? Personally my I'd pick the rover over the Mojo, for desert riding anyways.
    I'm very sorry, I must have missed your Mojo ride review. So what did you think about your Mojo ride experience?

Amphibious Technologies
    I'm very sorry, I must have missed your Mojo ride review. So what did you think about your Mojo ride experience?
    I didn't start a thread as I did not think it was necessary as I wasn't exactly blown away by it. My general impression was that it's an awesome XC bike. I didn't like the angles on steep loose techy terrain but it was perfect on XC/single tack type trails.

In a nutshell, it's strength is in climbing. It climbs very well, kinda like my Ellsworth ID. Almost hardtail like yet compliant when hitting bumps as long as you are not cranking hard on the pedal as rear does stiffen up a bit. On not too steep rocky DH, the demo Mojo handled the rough just as well as my Spot. (Note: I'd pick my 6Pack or an IH 6Point over the Spot or Mojo on steep, chunky, loose DH trails anyday). Single track, Spot & Mojo kinda similar there too. So my overall impression is that the Mojo is indeed a very nice XC bike. In the end, there was not enough of a difference for me to justify a switch. Note: My Spot is dialed for me, my riding style and terrain. I look forward to the more FR oriented fullsus Ibis.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 03-24-2008 at 12:11 PM.

www.derbyrims.com
    I didn't start a thread as I did not think it was necessary as I wasn't exactly blown away by it. My general impression was that it's an awesome XC bike. I didn't like the angles on steep loose techy terrain but it was perfect on XC/single tack type trails.

In a nutshell, it's strength is in climbing. It climbs very well, kinda like my Ellsworth ID. Almost hardtail like yet compliant when hitting bumps as long as you are not cranking hard on the pedal as rear does stiffen up a bit. On not too steep rocky DH, the demo Mojo handled the rough just as well as my Spot. (Note: I'd pick my 6Pack or an IH 6Point over the Spot or Mojo on steep, chunky, loose DH trails anyday). Single track, Spot & Mojo kinda similar there too. So my overall impression is that the Mojo is indeed a very nice XC bike. In the end, there was not enough of a difference for me to justify a switch. Note: My Spot is dialed for me, my riding style and terrain. I look forward to the more FR oriented fullsus Ibis.
    Cool, I ass-umed you hadn't ridden one (Im a terrible mind reader!). I've demoed dozens of FS bikes and owned 5 in the last 10 years and never felt a bike besides other dw-Linkers that was as smooth while pedaling hard up bumps unless it was bobbing madly out of control or over-damped and kicked-back in the seat full time. I do notice stiffening with higher monopivots and VPP, I find the Mojo stiffening about the same as a low monopivot. I guess it varies in feel to what you are used to. I also find the Mojo perfectly balanced for jumping and in handling for its travel, very close downhill to the 5-spot.

Cars vs. trucks I'd prefer a Dakar type car (SUV) over any truck racer anywhere. Of all cars and trucks I'd put the Mojo in the World Rally Car category, too low in clearance for the Dakar or such extreme off trail, but dominating any other type car or truck off pavement.

I rode a 6Point at Bootleg last i-bike. And it would be my choice or the lighter Mach-5 for Arizona riding near Phoenix or Bootleg in Nevada, Moab has more climbing so the 6Point is a bit heavy and the Mojo does pretty good in those places for me except the pedal clearance. I'm getting too timid in my old age to really utilize a 6Point. I'll never find the limits of the Mojo except in concept and admiring those riders that do take it flying and race DH with it. A World Cup DH race Mojo VLT (very long travel) 8 to10 inch travel bike might be banned it would be so much better than anything competing now!

Amphibious Technologies
    ...admiring those riders that do take it flying and race DH with it.

A World Cup DH race Mojo VLT (very long travel) 8 to10 inch travel bike might be banned it would be so much better than anything competing now!
    Don't forget it's the rider NOT the bike. A skilled rider, like BL, can take an XCL or Spot flying or race it DH too, just like he/she would a Mojo.

Huh, why is Sam Hill's Sunday not banned then? Are you saying the virtual Mojo VLT is better at DH than the real IH Sunday?
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 03-24-2008 at 05:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast