mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Houston we have a problem...bent shock bolt

I was re-greasing my linkage bearings tonight and was having serious issues getting the lower shock bolt out. As the bolt threaded out the swing arm would just spread. Finally after panicking, cussing, and then light tapping I got it out. Looks the bolt is bent and I also managed to bend the axle that goes through the bottom of the shock. When I put the bolt through the axle it basically keys into the axle and wont turn without the axle turning. Another thing I noticed is that the shoulder portion of the bolt seems too short and the threads dug into the inside of the axle.

Does anyone know if the newer bolts that are sold on the Ibis website have a longer shoulder?

What do you guys think about a titanium axle to strengthen the bolt to keep it from bending?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Btdt

I have bent that bolt too but not the shock spacer/hardware. I bought the Ti bolt kit from the Ibis online shop(SLs have Ti bolts) and have not had a problem since. I checked my shock a couple of rides ago when I had it pushed. Which I can't really tell much difference except that the propedal does nothing now.

www.derbyrims.com
    I'm guessing your Mojo doesn't have the Lopes Link. I also bent my original rear/lower shock mount bolt ('06). Not quite as bad as you describe. The steel bolt I got from the Ibis web site has threads only 1 inch at the end like my original. I think the original bolt bent due to bottoming loads flexing through the bolt without any support from the original independent upper twin links. I'm doing bigger drops and jumps now with the unified upper Lopes Link for a year and a half and have no sign of any bending of the bolt now.

Turn off the TV
    Mine bent also, got a hardened steel bolt and gave it la thin coat of grease so it won't rust. Works great