mtbr member

Hill Climb Challenge ... Lynskey SS 26er ... vrs ... Ripley 1x11 29er

Yup ... Good vrs Evil / No gears vrs 10 gears too many ? Big wheels vrs small ones. B. Climber says I will get up there quicker on the Ripper. I believe LP concurs. 32x21 18 pound SS and 25.5 pound 32x10-42 cluster 11 speed squishy. Two rides only on the new Ripley so far without a 20/40 attempt. Which bike will be faster ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hill Climb Challenge ... Lynskey SS 26er ... vrs ... Ripley 1x11 29er-0529131035.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by ancient rascal; 05-30-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Option C - 22-23lb Mojo SL-R 1x11 26"

www.derbyrims.com
    This is the Ibis forum... so the Ibis bike always wins!

I'd say the worse the traction, the bigger the Ripley advantage is. On pavement with little change in grade and with the right gear, the Lynskey wins.

mtbr member
    I will go for the first Rip "geared" timed run in the next few days. The course is an 1850 foot climb over a 4.1 distance of "jeep/fire road" trail. I am leaning towards the gears making a difference but the 7.5 lbs added weight on the Rip may even things out. The Rip does feel light on the climbs as others have stated. 5 good runs on the 29er will tell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Two questions: (1) Are you going to optimize your SS gearing for this hill (or run your standard gear); and (2) How much do the angles change on the hill. If there is a good range of angles, the geared should win pretty much every time. In my experience racing single speed, there are situations where the SS wins almost every time. One is on the hole shot, and another is any constant angle hill that seems just hard enough that you wish you had a slightly easier gear but it doesn't totally sap your effort. The guys with gears always go to the easer gear there and us SS'ers really put some time on them. But if the hill has a mix of grades, you simply can't keep up with a SS over a long stretch. But fun test!

mtbr member
    First question is a good one. I run 19t 20 or 21 on this hill. For this hill 20t may be perfect. 21t does allow a bit more spinning. Fastest time ever although painful was with 19t. Good range of angles is what we have here. I think this is gonna take 5 or more geared runs to answer. Nothing like climbing on a SS to get you stronger in a hurry me thinks. Must admit coming back pretty beat doing the same trails on the 1x11 instead of the SS. Two rides with gears only is not enough though. May take a little time but I am gonna find out.

mtbr member

Holy Crap !

This is not what I was looking/hoping for. Only had energy for the halfway up the mountain run. Pretty burned out today but horrible time @ 12% slower than average Lynskey time. Hill Climb Challenge ... Lynskey SS 26er ... vrs ... Ripley 1x11 29er-0602132104.jpg Hope no norcal folks see this !

aka dan51
    12% slower on a 90 degree day, seems normal to me.
    But you had 200% more fun on the downhill, and 50% more ladies took notice of you because of the Ripley.
    The latter 2 stats are all that count .
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    12% slower on a 90 degree day, seems normal to me.
    But you had 200% more fun on the downhill, and 50% more ladies took notice of you because of the Ripley.
    The latter 2 stats are all that count .
    Yup ... No doubt you hit the nail on the head. Good lookin ... and sport'n the big one's. Just don't get too comfortable cause that bike likes to go fast downhill !

mtbr member

Test #2 Ripley 1/2 way up/Tree

Hill Climb Challenge ... Lynskey SS 26er ... vrs ... Ripley 1x11 29er-0605131218.jpg As many others have said ...The Ripley is a sweet climber and plenty fast guy's. I am gonna say that once I get used to using the gears better that I should be only 5% slower vrs. the Lynskey SS with the added 7.5 lbs on the Ripley. Took 1 day off after a 5.5 mile run on Monday.