mtbr member
    Sep 2006

High Volume Sleeve for RP23?

I love my new Mojo and find the suspension to be very plush with it set at about 15mm of sag on a stock RP23. However, at only 150lbs it doesn't look like I'm going through full travel at all. I have the shock set on Pro Pedal setting #1 (full open) with about 135lbs of air and about 4 clicks in from full fast damping. I don't do any major drops, but I will do 1 to 2 foot jumps and don't seem to be blowing through too much travel. For those of you who have installed the large volume sleeve, is it worth it? How much does it cost? Is it easy to install or do you have to send your shock off to Push? I already think the Mojo spring curve feels fairly linear in nature, but even more linear would probably be better for me to use more of the travel on each ride. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

flow where ever you go
    Cost: $60 I believe, at Push Industries. I had to wait 2 months for it to be stocked and shipped. No communication from Push unless I phoned them.

Ease of installation: Easy and around 20 minutes I think.

Value: I weigh the same as you and also bought the sleeve to use more travel. I think I'm riding a bit rougher terrain and bigger jumps than you and still wasn't using all the travel. I was set up about the same as you. I too loved the ride, the plushness, and the linear quality, but upgraded for more travel. On more extreme riding I do use all the travel at times I didn't before, but overall I don't appreciate much of an increase in ride quality or performance. It was great and now it may be a bit more progressive and plush, but not a lot I think. For XC riding and no real jumps or drops, I don't think one should really be blowing through all 5.5 inches of travel any way... should they? So, I am underwhelmed by the upgrade.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I weigh 145 lbs and just rode with the RP23 set at 140 psi and had 45 mm of travel (as shown by the o-ring on the shock). I don't think that the trail I rode needed full travel, so I'll probably be adding some pressure.

Do you think having the ProPedal set at #1 had an influence on less travel? I only switch ProPedal on during longer climbs.

mtbr member
    Try running no propedal and measure the stroke. See if you get more travel. Leave all other variables the same (ride the same trail, same weather/ambient temps, psi etc)

mtbr member
    May 2007

agree - try w/o propedal

I am 88 kgs, and am running 5psi under the fox prescribed pressure. I get pretty close to/full travel if I do fast runs over very uneven terrain, and armchair like comfort. But with propedal on I seem to get a bit less travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Pro Pedal

To clarify, I am really not using the pro pedal at all. I have the dial set on #1 as I believe this is the full open (most plush) position possible. Note, I leave the pro pedal lever in full open position 99% of the time. The only time I engage any pro pedal is on smooth fire roads and that makes it feel virtually locked-out. It is truly amazing how little the DW link bobs even with substantial sag and the lever left fully open. Maybe I should just experiment with more than 15mm of sag? I was kind of following the Mojo manual which seems to recommend this sag for trail riding.

I also agree that I shouldn't be bottoming-out 5.5 inches of travel on the bulk of my trail rides. My rides are fairly rocky in nature, and do involve some small drops, but no free-ride (stunt) drops and only small jumps with hopefully smooth landings. I just want to feel like I'm using a little more of the abundant travel the bike has.

mtbr member

Which Sleeve though ?

Which sleeve is it? I currently have a sleeve for a RP23 that I was going to use on my switchblade, but it is no longer necceserty, so I will keep it for when my Mojo arrives in the next few months....

Oh , I also have a Float Ava R that might work... although how dependent is this frame on having some form of platform? does the DW link not eliminate the need for that ?

[IMG]orums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=281527&stc=1&d=1185261774[/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by DH_WP
    Which sleeve is it? I currently have a sleeve for a RP23 that I was going to use on my switchblade, but it is no longer necceserty, so I will keep it for when my Mojo arrives in the next few months....

Oh , I also have a Float Ava R that might work... although how dependent is this frame on having some form of platform? does the DW link not eliminate the need for that ?

[IMG]orums.mtbr.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=281527&stc=1&d=1185261774[/IMG]
    Most people find little need for platform at all. Some use it for long climbs. The Mojo already comes with the RP23, so the one off your switchblade is no help unless it is already the "high volume" version, which it may be. The length needed is 7.875".

mtbr member

Well the one on the switchblade is just a std RP23

But I ordered a high volume sleeve "in picture" have not use it yet though as I did not have a need,
    As far as I know there are 2 sleves availible.. a high volume , and a high high volume, I think I have the latter, suppose the only way to know would e to try it out and see it if works. if there is no need for a platform then I will put the ava on.. that way I can adjust the spring rate before I hit a trail i plan to ride.

They are both the correct lenght

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The large air can is going to make the RP23 bottom much easier. Based on the fact that the bike was designed for a specific wheel rate, I would not recommend the large air can on the Mojo to any rider of your weight. Try 25-30% sag at the wheel and see how it goes from there. This should equate to about 15mm of sag at the shock. (not sure if you referred to wheel or shock sag in your post.)
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Sag

The 15mm I mentioned was shock sag as opposed to wheel sag. It really does feel much more plush than any other bike I've had. But I'm always searching for perfection. I might try slightly lower pressure to get a bit more sag. I am a little wary about getting too far into the sag as I don't want to be regularly ridding in the shock's mid-stroke damping, as I would imagine this would ride a little harsh over the small bumps.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ABRider
    The 15mm I mentioned was shock sag as opposed to wheel sag. It really does feel much more plush than any other bike I've had. But I'm always searching for perfection. I might try slightly lower pressure to get a bit more sag. I am a little wary about getting too far into the sag as I don't want to be regularly ridding in the shock's mid-stroke damping, as I would imagine this would ride a little harsh over the small bumps.
    Damping on all the propedal fox socks is only activated by shaft speed, not sag level or position.

With deeper sag the air spring will ramp up sooner on larger bump hits because you are starting out closer to bottom out.

I've found with fox air shocks that shallower sag produces more usable travel than deep sag. But frame angles are steeper and riding position is a little more forward with shallow sag so the more forward weight distribution changes the small bump feel to be a little harsher.

The larger air sleeve produces no change in small bump feel using the same sag as with the smaller air sleeve. But bottomout resistance is deeper in travel for the same weight rider, speed, and bump hit.

I never came close to using full travel on the Mojo with the RP23. I did try a DHX Air for a few weeks and the larger air volume sleeve (similar if not the same as the PUSH Industries large volume air sleeve) on that shock provided much more usable deep travel.

There are riders who do get close to full travel with the stock RP23 on the Mojo. They are getting that deep travel only when jumping off picnic tables and other bigger compression hits such as severe rocky desert or high rocky mountain riding.

Each rider has different riding situations and no one shock tune is optimum for all riders. I would get the large air volume from PUSH for the RP23 for my riding interests to use more of the Mojo travel potential. But I have gone to coil and have found an optimum spring weight for no problem getting full travel use for my riding interests.

flow where ever you go

What is wheel rate?

DW says the large air can will not be optimal for the wheel rate as designed for the Mojo.

I'm curious, what is wheel rate and how is it impacted by a larger air volume?

DW, Derby, anybody?

It's the axle
    Mass times acceleration.

That's my guess.

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    DW says the large air can will not be optimal for the wheel rate as designed for the Mojo.

I'm curious, what is wheel rate and how is it impacted by a larger air volume?

DW, Derby, anybody?
    Wheel rate is the only "rate" that truly matters when you talk about air sprung suspensions. Leverage rate@shock travel X air spring force @ shock travel. It gives a true picture of suspension feel. Leverage rate alone can't tell you that. This is not commonly used knowledge in the cycling industry.

Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Rockets
    I weigh 145 lbs and just rode with the RP23 set at 140 psi and had 45 mm of travel (as shown by the o-ring on the shock). I don't think that the trail I rode needed full travel, so I'll probably be adding some pressure.

Do you think having the ProPedal set at #1 had an influence on less travel? I only switch ProPedal on during longer climbs.

I'm 68kg (about 150lbs, but perhaps a few more in riding apparel) & run the recommended 15mm of sag for all-mountain riding. I do however manage to use all my rear travel on each ride, even without being too aggressive. I've let all the air out of the shock to check the stroke, and of course it comes up shy of using the entire length. It does however get the travel as specified by Fox (50mm perhaps, I can't recall now). So basically when I say I get full travel, the o-ring moves most of the way down the shock but not all the way.

I wonder if others are confusing "full-travel" with the o-ring moving all the way down?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    Wheel rate is the only "rate" that truly matters when you talk about air sprung suspensions. Leverage rate@shock travel X air spring force @ shock travel. It gives a true picture of suspension feel. Leverage rate alone can't tell you that. This is not commonly used knowledge in the cycling industry.

Dave
    Hope this helps too:

Wheel rate is the spring rate actually measured at the wheel.

Wheel Rate = ( ( MotionRatio^2) * SpringRate ) * sin(Spring Angle)

http://www.teamassociated.com/racerh...pringRate.html

Google 'Wheel rate' for many examples.

I think Dave is saying that dw-Link is designed for an optimized wheel rate. Per the specs for the Mojo and Iron Horse models, shorter dw-Link travel prefers the rising rate of a small can air shock, longer travel prefers the linear progression of coil. This is common for most suspension bikes. Your uses may vary.

flow where ever you go

I'm throwing out the large volume can for the RP23.

The Mojo rode beautifully with the stock shock. I upgraded to the larger can to get more travel (as it was discussed here as a way to do that). However, I didn't realize that the RP23 is bottomed-out when there is still about 5mm of shaft (shock body) showing.

As _DW warns here, the shock does bottom out too easily with the big can. I don't get a bottom out sound or feeling, but can see that I am utilizing full travel (even on moderate rides).